What's new

Kavasomnia

El Guapo510

Kava Curious
So, this is real! I love kava and I'm certainly not going to give it up due tot his but I can't help but notice everytime I drink it too late in day I'm up all night. Yes, even with the heavy strains. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that keeps me up about it but it is similar to the way marijuana made me feel if I smoked it at night and tried to sleep. Sort of like my brain won't turn the switch even though my body feels tired.

Anyway, I'm not going to be able to utilize kava as a sleep aid I'm guessing as so many do which is kind of a bummer but it does work well for general anxieties or just to unwind. Let me know your thoughts and experiences with this.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
So, this is real! I love kava and I'm certainly not going to give it up due tot his but I can't help but notice everytime I drink it too late in day I'm up all night. Yes, even with the heavy strains. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that keeps me up about it but it is similar to the way marijuana made me feel if I smoked it at night and tried to sleep. Sort of like my brain won't turn the switch even though my body feels tired.

Anyway, I'm not going to be able to utilize kava as a sleep aid I'm guessing as so many do which is kind of a bummer but it does work well for general anxieties or just to unwind. Let me know your thoughts and experiences with this.
I usually allow three hours between my last shell and bedtime. But I enjoy some CBD oil, in the form of @Krunkie McKrunkface's cannabutter tea (from hemp buds), about an hour before bed. The high dose CBD complements the kava very well for sleep. If you use commercial CBD oil, make sure that you're using 1000 or better concentration. But much less expensive to cook up your own.

El Guapo510

Kava Curious
I usually allow three hours between my last shell and bedtime. But I enjoy some CBD oil, in the form of @Krunkie McKrunkface's cannabutter tea (from hemp buds), about an hour before bed. The high dose CBD complements the kava very well for sleep. If you use commercial CBD oil, make sure that you're using 1000 or better concentration. But much less expensive to cook up your own.
Thanks for the tip with cod oil. I have to take a high dose at least 50 mg usually more to get any kind of an effect from cbd. How much are you taking?

mzii

Kava Curious
Good to know I'm not alone in this reaction. For me, it was a very pronounced effect. I gave up daily kava drinking for this very reason. Also worth noting, this wasn't as much of an issue early on in my kava drinking, but something that seemed to have developed and gotten worse over time. I haven't even attempted drinking kava for several months, but I'm thinking I might soon, because given the fickle nature of kava and my wildly varied reactions to it, I wouldn't be surprised if the issue subsided on its own in the same way that it came.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I think above all else here the key is the timing by which you have your last shell in relation to the time you are hoping or expecting to fall asleep. I think standard practice should be minimum one hour, but in my experience, two or three hours is even better but by all means drink as much as you want before that time. I do not see any advantage to making it more than three hours, however.

just the thought of people quitting kava when they don’t have to would keep me awake all night tonight, except that I drink kava. :)

Zaphod

Kava Lover

One other thing to note - for me kava extends the amount of time that caffeine is in my system. So for example if I have a late afternoon coffee, or dark choclate, or tea and then have kava before the caffeine has left my system (caffeine half-life is 5-6hrs) it can interfere with my sleep. I try my best to split my coffee intake and kava intake by at least 6 hours. Then again I am pretty sensitive to caffeine....

El Guapo510

Kava Curious
One other thing to note - for me kava extends the amount of time that caffeine is in my system. So for example if I have a late afternoon coffee, or dark choclate, or tea and then have kava before the caffeine has left my system (caffeine half-life is 5-6hrs) it can interfere with my sleep. I try my best to split my coffee intake and kava intake by at least 6 hours. Then again I am pretty sensitive to caffeine....
Interesting, I had not thought of that. I can't remember if I drank coffee on those days or not, I probably did but I'll be more mindful of that going forward.

kw2292

Kava Curious
Only way I can mitigate this is by taking regular days off. Basically I can only take kava 2 straight days without the risk of a sleepless night. After that the risk increases exponentially each night and will only be fixed with several days off. Bummer because it took over a year of regular use to develop this side effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious

It probably has to do with elevated dopamine levels; most of the kavalactones increase dopamine levels.