What's new

Favorite multi-kava combos?

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
So as many of you probably know, Mo'i is pretty much my favorite kava, since I really enjoy the giddy, "everything is totally perfect" euphoria that you get just after a shell of a heady kava. But sometimes Mo'i is so heady that it feels like it's missing something. Especially in the evening, I often like to mix in just a bit of a heavier cultivar to round out the effects. My current favorite combo is 3 tbsp Mo'i + 1 tbsp Loa Waka (or Mahakea), which to me is a perfect ratio of mostly heady with just a bit of the relaxing heaviness that doesn't ever take over the experience with too much sedation. I'm curious if any of you also have favorite combos that you often mix up.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Moi + Mahakea is a good one or Mahakea + Nene was pretty mellow and not as strong.
Other combos I like:
Nambawan + Squanch waka = Like a Tyson punch to the head (aka lights out)
Nambawan + Pouni Ono = Heady and Heavy at the same time
50% Nambawan + 25% Fiji Fresh waka +25% Fiji Fresh lawana = nice cross spectrum vibe
Moi + Squanch waka = another cross spectrum vibe

There are others but these were some of the ones that made me sit up (or sit down hard) and take notice. In general if you are looking for a good experience (versus specifically heady or heavy) it is good to mix across regional varieties for a more varied experience.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Kelai + 'Iwi.
::ooooohhhhz::
what is this 'Iwi and where can we find it? Im fixing to place my first kava society order, it seems like every vendor in the USA is halfway dry. Need some new strains for the ol' collection.

EDIT: wait, is it another way to refer to tudei?

Last edited:

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
what is this 'Iwi and where can we find it? Im fixing to place my first kava society order, it seems like every vendor in the USA is halfway dry. Need some new strains for the ol' collection.

Iwi is definitely tudei. It's Isa's nastier cousin. Never had it for the record, but kelai with iwi would be ridiculous lol

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro

Yeah it's another PNG kava similar to Isa but it's considered stronger. It also exists in Hawai'i but is more rare than Isa. However, before the hullabaloo, Hawaiian drinkers seemed to like it quite a bit. (Survey of 381 kava drinkers at Kava Fest 2012 in O'ahu)