What's new

Stem peelings

ThePiper

Kava Lover
So tudei is one thing but what level of concern should we have for kava that could be cut with stem peelings? they are know to contain pipermethysticine. Should we avoid buying untested tongan kava at all costs?

Does the root contain any trace of pipermethysticine?

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I’d rather drink 100% proper Isa root than any other kava with a significant amount of stem peelings in it. Not just because I think it may pose a greater possible health risk but also because peelings are very weak...and I hate the flavor of all the aerial adulterated kavas I’ve had.

(I said Isa because it’s by far the most common tudei kava available online...it also happens to have the lowest FKB amount of tudei kavas)

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Why bother peeling the stems if the stem isn't meant to be consumed? I'm surprised people are still using aerial parts as filler for kava product.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
Peeled stem isn't necessarily toxic but it is very weak and has no kavain. But adding it saves a fuckton of money. This is why it is done so often in Tonga etc
Might stem peelings have some amount of pipermethysticine as @ThePiper pointed out, or more flavokawains? In which case they might have some toxic potential? Root peelings should be free of any non-KL compounds as far as I know but I know GHK and some others peel roots if only to improve the flavor.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
$$$$

Peeled stem isn't necessarily toxic but it is very weak and has no kavain. But adding it saves a fuckton of money. This is why it is done so often in Tonga etc
So the stem peels aren't toxic but rest of the stem is?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Root peelings should be free of any non-KL compounds as far as I know but I know GHK and some others peel roots if only to improve the flavor.
The only peeled lateral root products available are the 5 Star class from Vanuatu (Wow, Nambawan, realkava.com 5 Star) and the NZ Kava Society offerings. The Kava Society roots being much more extensively peeled. Anybody drinking Waka or high proportion lateral root products is getting a good dose of root bark and the side effects that come with it. The root peeling does effect the potency since the bark acts as a filler.

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Might stem peelings have some amount of pipermethysticine as @ThePiper pointed out, or more flavokawains? In which case they might have some toxic potential? Root peelings should be free of any non-KL compounds as far as I know but I know GHK and some others peel roots if only to improve the flavor.
The stems or stalks are like bamboo, I cut the stalks off from below the first bamboo like knuckle and the stuff below that is what I call stump or corm, I peel this because it grows above the ground. I might add that some kava producing areas do use the parts that I would not so that, as Henry said they can get more $$$$. The stuff below the ground is different and i do not peel that.
The kavalactone content in stalks is low and will diminish as you go up the plant till you get to the leaves and there are only 2 kavalactones in the leaves. I hope this helps a bit. Aloha.

Chris

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Stem peelings and leaves are pretty much the only parts of the plant that contain PM from what I understand. If the kava is noble then fk content in stem peelings or in peeled stems will be relatively low.

A few graphs:
flavo.PNG

peeled stem.PNG

stump peelings k to kl.PNG

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yes it is. most decent Tongan exporters peel stems, though not necessarily stumps (basal stems). This means some pm is likely present in most Tongan kava, unless the buyer/distributor can control it. AFAIK KWK tongan is free of stems and their supplier peels the stump so no risks with Pouni Ono.
I think kavafied Tongas are good too. I think their stuff is proper

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Yeah their tongan, especially the single varieties are super clean and well prepared. Do stem peels darken the beverage? I know waka can be really dark etc but I wonder if we might be able to rule out stem peelings (or at least large amounts of peelings) in a beverage that is very milky white in color. Most stems appear to be green or almost black. But I do understand that visible appearance is not irrefutable proof. I dunno just a thought.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Peeled stems are almost white. Indeed, they have less kls so they are lighter in colour than roots or stump.
Again though, peeled stems are harmless right? It's the peelings we should watch out for. I am only concerned about health and not low KLs.

I don't know whether to be weary about tongan kava that reviews highly and has nice effects but has not been lab tested.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I guess it raises the question how toxic is PM. Are small amounts (like a kava with peeled stems included, but high production leaves a probability for some peel pieces getting through) less damaging to the liver with regular consumption than alcohol for example. We know pm is toxic, but I am struggling to find any summary in layman's terms about what the quantifiable risks of pm might be.