What's new

‘Awa ceremonies in Hawai‘i

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, since I have been involved in Hawaiian 'Awa for over 30 years I have had the chance to learn a lot of things about 'Awa from many different kupuna.
I was even able to teach about 'Awa at Aha Punana Leo In Keaau, this is a Hawaiian school where the students and the teachers have to speak Hawaiian, it is a Hawaiian immersion school. It was a privilege for me to teach about Hawaiian 'Awa there, I learned a lot there, I learned to speak more Hawaiian than I did before and I also learned other things about Hawaiian culture. One of the things that I learned there was the proper way that Hawaiians did ‘Awa ceremonies in Hawaii. I learned this from Anakala Lanakila from Niihau. There is a lot of rules you have to follow, kind of like a Japanese Tea ceremony.
I remember too at one of the International Kava Conferences that the Hawaii 'Awa Council helped to put on, there was a kava ceremony that was done there at the beginning of the conference, I guess that since I was the President of the 'Awa Council that I got the first shell, it was a lot of fun.

Anyway, I thought that this was common knowledge on the ‘Awa ceremonies in Hawai‘i. I was wrong. As I watched the canoe Hōkūle‘a here doing a "awa Ceremony, I noticed that they did it different. I did not know why but then I was talking to a Hawaiian friend of mine who still teaches at Aha Punana Leo, and we were talking about this so he referred me to an article that was expertly written, it explained the wrong way that they did it and then outlined the proper way. Here is a link to the article---- ‘Awa ceremonies in Hawai‘i

There is also some cool pictures of some Hawaiian 'Awa bowls. I hope you all enjoy the information on ‘Awa ceremonies in Hawai‘i. Aloha

Chris

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hi everyone, since I have been involved in Hawaiian 'Awa for over 30 years I have had the chance to learn a lot of things about 'Awa from many different kupuna.
I was even able to teach about 'Awa at Aha Punana Leo In Keaau, this is a Hawaiian school where the students and the teachers have to speak Hawaiian, it is a Hawaiian immersion school. It was a privilege for me to teach about Hawaiian 'Awa there, I learned a lot there, I learned to speak more Hawaiian than I did before and I also learned other things about Hawaiian culture. One of the things that I learned there was the proper way that Hawaiians did ‘Awa ceremonies in Hawaii. I learned this from Anakala Lanakila from Niihau. There is a lot of rules you have to follow, kind of like a Japanese Tea ceremony.
I remember too at one of the International Kava Conferences that the Hawaii 'Awa Council helped to put on, there was a kava ceremony that was done there at the beginning of the conference, I guess that since I was the President of the 'Awa Council that I got the first shell, it was a lot of fun.

Anyway, I thought that this was common knowledge on the ‘Awa ceremonies in Hawai‘i. I was wrong. As I watched the canoe Hōkūle‘a here doing a "awa Ceremony, I noticed that they did it different. I did not know why but then I was talking to a Hawaiian friend of mine who still teaches at Aha Punana Leo, and we were talking about this so he referred me to an article that was expertly written, it explained the wrong way that they did it and then outlined the proper way. Here is a link to the article---- ‘Awa ceremonies in Hawai‘i

There is also some cool pictures of some Hawaiian 'Awa bowls. I hope you all enjoy the information on ‘Awa ceremonies in Hawai‘i. Aloha

Chris
What wonderful history to share. As one who has also taught a couple 'awa classes at the Hawaiian Immersion school -Aha Punana Leo In Keaau, I agree with Chris' comments. The students and teachers were some of the most kind and polite people I've ever met. Regarding 'Awa Ceremonies in Hawai'i ...if there is any life experience rule to live by it is that people, generally, will never fully agree on anything when it comes to what is culturally appropriate. To remain in the 13th century for the sake of respect for our ancestors is to stop time and stop education, evolution of mind. To re-live it as a lesson in history is fine but not to change, improve, is a lesson in disaster. If the Hōkūle‘a "ceremony" was to be historically accurate- what child would have chewed the 'awa before straining? Give me a Ninja 1500 Watt any day. My favorite take-away, at least they agree on something is- The ali’i class drank for pleasure largely, the kahuna class ceremonially, and the working class for relaxation after labour. There was an abundance of ‘awa for everyone.” I am thankfully of the working class-- a commoner-- so is "relaxation after labour" not "Pleasure"? There is a little Ali'i in all of us.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
...if there is any life experience rule to live by it is that people, generally, will never fully agree on anything when it comes to what is culturally appropriate. To remain in the 13th century for the sake of respect for our ancestors is to stop time and stop education, evolution of mind. To re-live it as a lesson in history is fine but not to change, improve, is a lesson in disaster. If the Hōkūle‘a "ceremony" was to be historically accurate- what child would have chewed the 'awa before straining? Give me a Ninja 1500 Watt any day.
I'm with you here. In all aspects of life, the past is worth preserving for better or worse. We can't progress without taking into account how people could've done better. Preserving the old ways is good in some ways, but you get the jokers and the cynics who question the status quo, and we make progress when we think enough about what we do now and what we could do for the betterment of ourselves at least.

All the details on the Hawaiian 'awa ceremony makes me want to make that a part of a Hawaii trip itinerary. I can't say I'd be learned at all in the specific procedure, whether or not there'd be any education before the actual ceremony. I'd be fine watching even, whether I got any grog or not to drink myself.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Thanks for that comment @fait and thanks again to @gourmethawaiiankava for posting originally--
I doubt you could locate such an event in Hawai'i but in the interest of keeping this highly interesting thread alive...and reading more comments, I am inserting a screenshot which, I think, is the event itself which the Commentary Chris shared is referring to.
upload_2019-4-2_11-28-2.png