What's new

KAVA PRESS ALERT ‘Deadly’ Kava Kava plants .....(More negativity)..

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yep, that one made me laugh. Intoxicating peppers. I'll watch out for those.

D

Deleted User01

To see the UK treating Kava as "witch doctor medicine" is a little disheartening.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I'd love to read these 110 connected cases of liver damage and 9 deaths that were reported. I assume they are not available anywhere, and the way it's written makes it seem like that is probably for all herbal medicines and not just kava.

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
That one is kinda weird. ::confused2::
very weird... 54 kilograms of deadly kava kava seized.
I just have one question.. How the f**k is it deadly ???

I hope it wasnt GKE, that got hit with this, because i dont know of any other supplier who would be shipping 54 kilos of kava ??
very weird.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I'd love to read these 110 connected cases of liver damage and 9 deaths that were reported. I assume they are not available anywhere, and the way it's written makes it seem like that is probably for all herbal medicines and not just kava.
Me too. Did I mention My wife gets her Blood port removed Monday. She went to the Doctor today. Her chemo for Hepatitis C, worked, she is completely cured. She has been using Kava for several months post Hepatitis C. And the Doctors are saying her liver runs like a new car. So yes I would like to see the stats on 110 cases, myself. Anyway those numbers are too small to even bother mentioning. I guess they are not Destroying Tylenol, or Alcohol, the real liver killers. Much love Roaddog....

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
This is all very confusing. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think @Global Kava Exports does import his kava into the UK. In one of his latest posts he said he had imported 25 kg of kava into the UK. He said he sells it as "novelty items not intended for human consumption". Am I correct to assume that importing kava to the UK is legal as long as one adds this disclaimer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
The picture of the red peppers is cracking me up. I had to re-read the article several times to make sure that I didn't miss the part where they also confiscated chili peppers.

Nope, they just didn't do any research at all and put a picture of a completely different plant on there.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I love how it says "deadly intoxicating peppers" in big bold letters and right under it there is a picture of huge boxes full of chili peppers. :cautious:......:hilarious:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It also says the leaves are used. (Which may be true...but only by stupid nutraceutical companies). Shoddy reporting all around. It doesn't even have an author or contact info so we can send them corrections, not that they would anyway.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Okay I see, this is probably from whatever the UK tabloid equivalent of the Associated Press is. There are several copies of this article out and about. Who knows where it's from.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
This is all very confusing. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think @Global Kava Exports do import their kava into UK. In one of his latest posts he said he had imported 25 kg of kava into UK. He said he sells it as "novelty items not intended for human consumption". Am I correct to assume that importing kava to UK is legal as long as one adds this declaimer?
Yes, I would say that's correct. At least I have a friend, from The UK, and she had trouble ordering Kava. A lot of venders will not sale it in UK. Don't know why that is. Its not Illegal to own kava. Much love. Roaddog.....

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
The journalism is pathetic but let's look beyond that and think about what has actually happened. I also echo Henry's question to @Global Kava Exports .

I do not know under what law they have destroyed this. My understanding is that two laws exist regarding kava in the UK, one is regarding it as food and the other as medicine. See this thread:
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/legality-to-import-into-the-uk.2433/

It does not seem there is any law against possession, so presumably the destruction occurred because the EPA could prove that it was "imported" (hence the collaboration with Border Force).
It still is not clear whether powdered kava root counts as either a food or a "medicinal product containing kava kava".

I am also presuming that the 54kg was of powdered kava root, not the plants themselves. In this case, it's really worrying.

The Councillor's contact details are here:
https://estates4.warwickdc.gov.uk/c...tl/ViewCMIS_Person/mid/536/id/74/Default.aspx

Anyone interested in correcting his tedious parroting of nonsense?

Beanie

Kava Enthusiast
I hope I get my kava, starting to get a bit worried now!! I live in scotland I ordered stuff last year from Vanuatu and Paradise and didn't have any bother but it will be a real shame if I don't get my new order, not to mention a loss of money. Fingers crossed.