What's new

…and ive arrived

• Thread starter Deactivated Account
  • Start date

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I think it's cheaper for him cuz he lives in Australia and australia is relatively close to vanuatu.
I've noticed that traveling to any south pacific islands from the states is always really expensive, the flight times are like 10+ hours from the west coast.
One thing that helps find cheaper flights though, is checking different dates of the week (and times of year) to leave. When you hit on a day that has a more common weekly route, it can sometimes knock off 1 - 2 thousand dollars off the price.

violet

Do all things with love
@BUlABUCK Last time I looked up flights to Port Vila (from the US east coast) I got one option for 5K something and all the rest were in the 10K and just under range :wideyed: for different times of the year. Now I'm looking and I'm seeing flights on Orbitz for around $2300 USD, farther out in May for less than $1800. Similar flights were cheaper out of DFW but more expensive out of Houston. You might be able to do it even cheaper if you shop for your destination and layover flights separately.

D

Deactivated Account

Hey nemo may i ask how u get there if u travel cheap. Or if its possible for a guy like me to travel there and whats the cheapest way
Only a 2 hour flight from my town & all the Sth Pacific islands are tourist spots mostly for aussies & kiwis. Daily flights often not full.

Really i think you would be better looking at getting to 0z then getting to Van from there. Just did a quick check on webjet.com.au…..LA-Bris $843 & Bris-LA $843

Bris to PV return is about $450 return on Virgin. I pay $520 on Air Vanuatu though, its a better plane/seats/food & the only drawback aside from about $70 dearer is that they do a 30 min stop over in Santo. Santo to PV is only 25 mins, you go back up & almost straight away head back down.

Virgin have diff rules to Air Van in that they need visual under a certain height to land (few hundred feet) whereas Air Van are equipped to land no visual on instruments. Its not uncommon for Vila to get a storm (both these carriers land late afternoon) or full cloud in the afternoons. Once on Virgin we couldnt land at 2 attempts & were diverted to Fiji for fuel. We then headed back & finally got to PV.

Last edited by a moderator:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Here in Texas, the cheapest I've seen is about $1400 or so to the South Pacific or anywhere in Australia.

D

Deactivated Account

Here in Texas, the cheapest I've seen is about $1400 or so to the South Pacific or anywhere in Australia.
Thats a good price. Like everything i reckon its about being flexible & if you see a cheap price…grab it & sort the rest out later. I dont know if carriers still have standby rates, that may be worth a look also however i doubt it could possibly get cheaper than $1400.

Hell flight though US to Aust, ive done it a few times & its a looooong way. I think i left my soul behind at LAX…man thats a big airport. Some 15 hours i think.

D

Deactivated Account

I say we build a boat.
I met an american chap travelling about the Sth Pacific here maybe 3-4 visits back. We were talking & enjoying the kava at a nakamal & then he tells me he is making a boat with a hot air balloon attached. So i asked him how he would carry the gas to burn & he replied he will land on diff islands & look for coal to give him the heat. You do meet some 'interesting' people here.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Same as last time sort of photos….nothing really changes here. I took a few vids but honestly the internet speed is the same as old 56k. Dirty great lump of fungus inside the lens if you notice…few hundred to get it repaired.

I may even get off my arse & go to another tomorrow…kava being what it is, after that 600ml coke zero…i was lucky to even leave my room

Mowai Nakamal (early)

View attachment 229

View from Mowai

View attachment 230

Still Mowai (its a nice nakamal..sells soft drinks,chips & beer also)

View attachment 233

View attachment 231

View attachment 232
Wow what a view so lucky....

D

Deactivated Account

Where exactly are u staying nemo love the view and what it looks like can i trouble u for some info
I stay in a little 3 star resort maybe 5-600 yards from that nakamal in the earlier photos. Ive stayed here 6 times now. Like anywhere you can only weigh up Dollars V Comfort. Its called Coconut Palms Resort. You just need a comfy bed & an Air Cond here.

You can pay $500AUD/night in PV (450 USD) & still get mould in the corner of the shower…no towel 30 mins after you ask etc etc. I pay $105AUD/night ($94 USD) but have seen it on expedia …after i booked of course…for $65 ($58 USD).absolute bloody bargain !… These guys dont think like westerners, 40 mins to give you a towel is ok by them, so i always tell people to just let go & let stuff happen Island Time. The locals (nivans) are never going to die from an ulcer believe me, they are extreamly laid back. If something isnt happening just ask a few times but always keep your cool as they will also. They never mind if you are polite. Its not the Marriot.

You just need an Air-cond in your room, thats a non negotiable mate. I come from a hot humid climate in Australia but this place kills me…the humidity in summer is off the scale. Makes me think of the 10's of thousands of US soldiers whom were bases here for the war in the pacific. Many would have come from cold areas of the US & this must have been hell for them. The humidity is unrelenting. You shower, put dry fresh clothes on & 5 mins later you smell like a wet dog. I come in winter also but 6 mothly visits sees me here in summer also. They have a great pool,2 or 3 cable tv channels for a few documentries. They give you a basic hot very tasty breakfast too.

Honestly if you take any room in PV without Air Cond you will regret it. This little resort is centrally located between the main nakamal area & the town itself. 5 mins walk to town & maybe 4-5 nakamals within a few hundred yards…some a bit flash like the photos i posted earlier & some just basic iron & post 'lean too's'.

Here are some pics of the resort (well…hotel) Nothing better than staff all recgnising you & welcoming you back. Honestly its the off season here atm due to the heat/humidity so i doubt there are 5 people staying here. Winter (your summer) is pretty busy with kiwis & aussies being that its only a 2 hour flight. A few cruise ships come in every week …monsoon down pour just started…man you cant talk over the roar from the roof ! They only last 10 mins though.

CCP1.jpg

CCP2.jpg

CCP3.jpg

CCP4.jpg

CCP5.jpg

D

Deactivated Account

:jawdrop:WOW nemo thank you thats just what i needed me and my wife are going to put some money aside and go next year to the exact place u are staying thank you for all your help Mate much appreciated.You are excellent
No worries…Its only 150vt to go anywhere (about $1.50 USD) & there is a bus evry 3 mins everywhere….they just drive about looking for a fare. You need to relax with the smell in them though…ive seen cats & chooks in them plenty of times. No seat belts but they never get over 20mph.

The only really important thing to remember is that buses are $1.50 & have a B on their lic plate where as Taxis have a T and charge 10 times the price. Taxis survive on the unsuspecting tourist…still cheaper than we pay in aust or US but you miss out on the smells & reggae in the buses. Nothing at all wrong with taxis…i just like paying the 150vt instead of 800vt.

The kick is that when you are leaving the airport…only taxis are allowed there & its 1800vt (roughly $18 USD) to anywhere you want to go to (set price) buses cant line up there. You can most certainly take a bus to the airport though (weird) & thats maybe 200vt - 250vt from town

Seaside Green Lite nakamal joins coconut palms boundary wall. Its directly behind but its not a flash nakamal but ok kava. You just need to understand that a dripping tap or jamming sliding door on the balcony is how it is. The beds/pillows are comfy & very clean, the Air Conds work & the foods great & thats all i need. I see a lot of places about town charging 2-3 times this price with no Air Cond so its a small trade off. Your room is well cleaned every day. After 11 visits its without doubt the only place i will choose.

Let me know before you go & ill give you a google earth map marked with the good nakamals close to the resort, all walking distance.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Thank you again nemo iam also a vegetarian does that matter.your the best:D.It will be our first time out of the country anything to watch out for food ,water violence ,scams.money how much getting lost and can i bring kava back...:smuggrin:Is it safe never done anything like this and its time.your a gentleman Nemo i appreciate all your info thx for your help;)

Last edited:
D

Deactivated Account

Thank you again nemo iam also a vegetarian does that matter.your the best:D.It will be our first time out of the country anything to watch out for food ,water violence ,scams.money how much getting lost and can i bring kava back...:smuggrin:Is it safe never done anything like this and its time.your a gentleman Nemo i appreciate all your info thx for your help;)
You will find veggie food…these guys eat a lot of them. Tap water is absolutely perfect,no violence that ive ever seen (they know to look after tourists) They will sometimes sort stuff out between villages but thats their business. No scams…never heard of one here. If you get lost you wave a bus down or ask someone, everyone will help you. PV isnt that big of a town…maybe 30k people spread out.

Ive just walked back from a few nakamals…walked through total shanty town type areas made of just sheet iron & a few hundred people out on the road…all i got was smiles & hellos. What i dont do is take photos of these areas. Not that much would happen but its straight up respect for peoples position. They are all out on the roads at this time of day (4pm) playing boules. I stopped & watched them playing for 10 mins & no-one even looked at me, the nivans are very very used to the odd tourist walking past. I always always smile & speak to them & say hello or gud nite. Ive never not had the same back to me. Its hard for westerners to let go of the fear of areas like this as i was on my first trip but nothing happens here.

D

Deactivated Account

Early night tonight…drank a few shells i had in my fridge this morning tehn a few at 2 diff nakamals & frankly my gut has just said "nemo…enough for today alright"

Also there is an outbreak of dengue fever here atm (not common) & i had left my personal insect spray in my room so wasnt to keen to be out in the dark.

Sofies Nakamal.

thurs2.jpg

One of the literally hundreds of buses.

thurs1.jpg

Bamboo Nakamal

thurs3.jpg

thurs5.jpg

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Your a scholar Nemo thx again. Iam guessing 10.000 should do it i hope. It looks and sounds like my kinda place laaaaaaid baaaaaaaCK:smug:.gotta pinch penny's now and buy less root so i can drink fresh root :bigmoney:.