What's new

1st week trying kava.. observations and questions :-)

AmraSword

Kava Curious
Hey everyone.. I've dealt with anxiety for a while now and always was on the lookout for something that would help but without addiction or rebound effects. I had been drinking alcohol on regular basis past 4 years but the hangovers became very very anxiety inducing and I reached the end of my rope looking for other alternatives. ( didn't want to get on benzo nightmare train. And they make me depressed)

So after trying ashwaghanda, passionflower, theanine, and other natural "cures" I wasn't satisfied and sometimes they would ramp up the anxiety and just generally felt strange on ashwaghanda. Even irritable. So kava was always floating around in my mind and I decided at vitamin shoppe to grab the yogi kava stress relief tea

I know that the tea is sometimes considered dipping your toe in the water but ..wow. I instantly felt a warm pressure in my head. I was shocked how quick I felt it. I'm very wary of placebo effect and just try to go with the flow. But after about an hour I was sunk into my bed and whatever had been bothering me had been muted. Then I made another cup 2 hrs later. So 2 bags in and I felt a euphoria that almost felt opiate like in a way. But I felt great. Slept great too!

Then in the morning I made a cup of 2 bags before going out to do freelance work, and I was so floored exhausted ha. Like it felt more dirty during the day and I felt like I wasn't grounded and felt strange so I barely could get much work done. That day is where I found these forums. Trying to get a consensus on day drinking of kava. And It made me think. I never saw an ashwaghanda forum! This must be something special. And everything I read I slowly felt for myseld these past few days. I've lost 3 lbs. I havent craved alcohol at ALL. And caffiene hit me like a ton of bricks on day 3 and ramped anxiety crazily so I only sipped on it today and that seemed to work.

So just wanted to say hello, and my main question is: if a cup of 2 bag yogi tea feels strong to me and I prefer the next hours more once it dissapates a bit, would it really enjoy a noble extremely intense experience? Or is it a cleaner more pure experience with better anti anxiety effects. Just on the fence about going for the traditional as this tea is so simple and 3.50 at target lol for 16 bags. I just don't feel the need to go much stronger but I do sense that not knowing the source of the yogi tea kava may have something to do with the dirty feeling? Is it noble? That part is confusing. Since its an extract does the source matter?

Anyways sorry for all the rapid fire questions at the end there but happy to be on board and join the forums and excited to bring kava into my life :)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
So just wanted to say hello, and my main question is: if a cup of 2 bag yogi tea feels strong to me and I prefer the next hours more once it dissapates a bit, would it really enjoy a noble extremely intense experience? Or is it a cleaner more pure experience with better anti anxiety effects. Just on the fence about going for the traditional as this tea is so simple and 3.50 at target lol for 16 bags. I just don't feel the need to go much stronger but I do sense that not knowing the source of the yogi tea kava may have something to do with the dirty feeling? Is it noble? That part is confusing. Since its an extract does the source matter?

Anyways sorry for all the rapid fire questions at the end there but happy to be on board and join the forums and excited to bring kava into my life :)
If a cup of water with 2 tea bags hits the spot for you, God bless you. You are one from a lucky few. Noble kava, specifically the ones listed on this site are the best of the best. There are different strains and regions which come with different effect profiles or chemotypes with a vast range of effects, unlike a Yogi tea bag. Half the fun in Noble kava is finding the one that hits the spot for you.

Also welcome to KF!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hey everyone.. I've dealt with anxiety for a while now and always was on the lookout for something that would help but without addiction or rebound effects. I had been drinking alcohol on regular basis past 4 years but the hangovers became very very anxiety inducing and I reached the end of my rope looking for other alternatives. ( didn't want to get on benzo nightmare train. And they make me depressed)

So after trying ashwaghanda, passionflower, theanine, and other natural "cures" I wasn't satisfied and sometimes they would ramp up the anxiety and just generally felt strange on ashwaghanda. Even irritable. So kava was always floating around in my mind and I decided at vitamin shoppe to grab the yogi kava stress relief tea

I know that the tea is sometimes considered dipping your toe in the water but ..wow. I instantly felt a warm pressure in my head. I was shocked how quick I felt it. I'm very wary of placebo effect and just try to go with the flow. But after about an hour I was sunk into my bed and whatever had been bothering me had been muted. Then I made another cup 2 hrs later. So 2 bags in and I felt a euphoria that almost felt opiate like in a way. But I felt great. Slept great too!

Then in the morning I made a cup of 2 bags before going out to do freelance work, and I was so floored exhausted ha. Like it felt more dirty during the day and I felt like I wasn't grounded and felt strange so I barely could get much work done. That day is where I found these forums. Trying to get a consensus on day drinking of kava. And It made me think. I never saw an ashwaghanda forum! This must be something special. And everything I read I slowly felt for myseld these past few days. I've lost 3 lbs. I havent craved alcohol at ALL. And caffiene hit me like a ton of bricks on day 3 and ramped anxiety crazily so I only sipped on it today and that seemed to work.

Yogi tea is fine, especially if it does for you exactly what you want and need. And it is fine to drink it any time of the day or night as long as it feels fine to you. Maybe don't drink ten bags at once and drive on the freeway at 85 mph, ....... Enjoy!

Zaphod

Kava Lover

Ah yes I remember trying some other botanicals first and wondering if I was getting an effect...and for the most part even the stuff that has some clinical backing (like St. John's Wort) is just above a placebo. Once I got the aha moment with kava (3rd night of taking it) I had no doubt I found the right stuff.
I have not tried Yogi tea - but many on the forums have and they all say it is the real deal, but not very strong. If it works for you great. I think however you will find more bang for your buck with either a microgrind or medium grind noble kava. I started with microgrind and found it a great way as a beginner to get a consistent dose and find what worked for me. I have since moved on to medium grind but I can see how it can be a bit intimidating for someone brand new (it is in fact pretty easy....).
Look around at the many good vendors here and read their reviews - many offer variety sample packs.

AmraSword

Kava Curious
Thanks man! And thanks everyone for the info and warm welcome.

I think I'm going to try some true noble kava here at some point.

I guess the question remaining is the noble strains everyone recommends going to be simply stronger than what I'm experiencing now with yogi tea? ... Or since I'm only dealing with an extract will the experience be more anti anxiety and say more euphoria with the noble variety. Thanks!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thanks man! And thanks everyone for the info and warm welcome.

I think I'm going to try some true noble kava here at some point.

I guess the question remaining is the noble strains everyone recommends going to be simply stronger than what I'm experiencing now with yogi tea? ... Or since I'm only dealing with an extract will the experience be more anti anxiety and say more euphoria with the noble variety. Thanks!
It's an entirely different experience. Stronger, more relaxing, more everything pretty much.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Awesome.. any recommendations for an anti anxiety yet slightly euphoric not too strong starter strain?
Gourmet Hawaiian Kava's Mahakea is my go to favorite workhorse kava - and is great for beginners. Very balanced with nice euphoria to start, great anti-anxiety, tapers off into a nice warm gentle relaxation. That said there are lots of great strains from other vendors as well. Many offer variety packs with 3 different strains. Different strains will effect people differently - only way is just jump in and start sampling to find the ones you like.

im in the exact same boat as you amra,down to the bad anxiety i get now after alcohol,even after it helped for years.ashwaghanda does "weird" stuff to me too,does nothing for anxiety but gives a nasty spaced out feeling.

let us know how it goes for each kava you try!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Awesome.. any recommendations for an anti anxiety yet slightly euphoric not too strong starter strain?
There's lots of great ones that fit this category. I would suggest, by vendor and variety:

Kalm with Kava - Borongoru
Bula Kava House - Eua or Akau
Gourmet Kava House - Hanakapi 'Ai or Honokane Iki
Dua Na Bilo- Vanuatu
Kavafied - Bati
Best Fijian - Lawena
Squanch - Lawena

There's plenty more, those are just off the top of my head.

AmraSword

Kava Curious
Cool man I think I'm gonna try that one.. lots of people said borugu (sp?) In other starter threads but yours sounds great
I'm trying to keep it easy and simple without breaking the bank . Should I start with micronized? Going to keep researching. Not sure if that needs strained but it sounds simpler and I currently need a new blender
Gourmet Hawaiian Kava's Mahakea is my go to favorite workhorse kava - and is great for beginners. Very balanced with nice euphoria to start, great anti-anxiety, tapers off into a nice warm gentle relaxation. That said there are lots of great strains from other vendors as well. Many offer variety packs with 3 different strains. Different strains will effect people differently - only way is just jump in and start sampling to find the ones you like.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Good luck.
FYI, I think Mahakea might make me feel kinda weird; I don't know I've heard anyone else ever voice that, though.

But I've only tried it in micronized, and I've decided to disqualify myself from micronized for the time being; I tend to overdo it with micronized, which might be why the Mahakea was making me feel weird.
Also, I definitely think my stomach prefers kneaded medium grind over micronized (but, again, I was mixing it to a pretty silty consistency). I have been very satisfied with Kavafied's beginner's strainer bag for kneading medium grind.
Also, given that you have been pleased with what Yogi Tea is doing for you and you seem to be aiming at a purely therapeutic effect, it might be worth starting with what most on the forums would consider very small doses. (Oh, and FWIW I highly advise that you don't drink traditional kava as a hot tea...ew).

Tholman

Kava Curious
Borogu has been great for me as a beginner. Not too powerful, relaxing but with an uplifting effect. Pouni Ono has been great too, but probably not the best for anxiety specifically

AmraSword

Kava Curious
Borogu has been great for me as a beginner. Not too powerful, relaxing but with an uplifting effect. Pouni Ono has been great too, but probably not the best for anxiety specifically
Borogu sounds like the way to go for me from eveerything ive read