What's new

$20 Lbs of Noble Kava!!!

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
This is how life should be. Why can't I buy $20 Lbs of quality Kava?
You can, but you have to go to Fiji, Tonga, Samoa or Vanuatu, find a good source, and buy it yourself. And then drink enough kava whilst you are there to cover the airfare with the kava savings you've made. Good Vanuatu noble dry kava can be had for about $30/kg now, Samoan and Tongan cheaper at about $20/kg.
If you want someone else to source it, freight it, package it, pay tax and deliver it to your door it costs a bit more..:)

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
Well, the fact that I can get absolutely grogged out of my skull with 3 TBS of kava....the premium isn't that bad considering the convenience. But what about the poor guy who needs 1/2 a cup? For heavens sake, his kava habit is now costing him as much as heroin (not factoring the destruction to ones life, mind, and body with heroin)

I guess what I'm asking, Cactus Man is.....how do you sleep at night?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Well, the fact that I can get absolutely grogged out of my skull with 3 TBS of kava....the premium isn't that bad considering the convenience. But what about the poor guy who needs 1/2 a cup? For heavens sake, his kava habit is now costing him as much as heroin (not factoring the destruction to ones life, mind, and body with heroin)

I guess what I'm asking, Cactus Man is.....how do you sleep at night?
I am sure he sleeps just fine...Supply and demand I am afraid plus It beats a heroin addiction any day of the week. I get your point I am a heavy drinker but to get prices like that you have to have the relationship, the source and ability to buy in bulk. Above all the reputation. So it's easier said then done imo.

NAMBATU

Kava Enthusiast
What if we all go on strike and refuse to buy another pound until it's $20
It would work in the short term while vendors get rid of their stock and then the industry would collapse.

With few exceptions, kava is farmed in hard-to-reach islands surrounded by nothing but bupkis. This means transport costs are high. Because nature doesn't like people living in paradise, these islands are regularly totaled by every variety of natural disaster which ruins all the kava.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Buying larger wholesale quantities gets you closer to a reasonable price per pound. Also, if you can buy locally from Indo-Fijians, Samoans or Tongans, like I often do (in California), they're always cheaper than most online vendors. This year, however, even my local sources have bumped their prices a bit for the first time in several years. I can still get a pound of strong waka for $32 (prev. $27), average waka for $28 (prev. $20)...my Tongan source will usually stuff a ziploc sandwich bag for 15$ (probably half-pound?) and my Samoan source also raised the price of his little 1/4 pound bags...since he noticed an uptick in sales.

I don't think kava supply is really an issue when I read this, but rather, there might be short supply of the available kava plants that are actually being processed for export. In other words, there are plenty of kava plants in the world, perhaps more on Pentecost than anywhere else, and there could be plenty more plants planted but if the vast majority of them stay planted or only get used for local use, we'll never see the benefit of them saturating the market.

Depending on how many islanders have taken notice of the current international kava resurgence and have decided to try and make some money off it, there's a chance that in 3-7 yrs we might see a more flooded and competitive market that results in somewhat cheaper prices.

Last edited:

Jerome

Kava Lover
I recall paying around twenty a pound in the late nineties.

I'm hoping someone gets good at growing it outside of tropical islands. That would drop the price quick.

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
I'm willing to wager coastal states in Mexico could crank out lots of Kava.
Ahora la unica cosa tenemos que hacer es enseñar los Mexicans la manera.

I have a strategy called "Operation 2 Day"
1)Teach Mexicans how to farm potent Tudei kava in coastal mexican states so that it's ready within 1 year.
2)Flood American market with coconut flavored Tudei kava that gets people floored and hungry for more
3)This will create a shift away from noble markets and expensive artisan kava thus lowering the price.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

1)Teach Mexicans how to farm potent Tudei kava in coastal mexican states so that it's ready within 1 year.
2)Flood American market with coconut flavored Tudei kava that gets people floored and hungry for more
3)This will create a shift away from noble markets and expensive artisan kava thus lowering the price.
lol

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

Que tonto eres :)

Jerome

Kava Lover

I don't know that Mexico has the high quality volcanic soil that say, Hawaii has. I've always thought Nicaragua or Costa Rica would be better. Land in Nicaragua used to be very cheap. Coastal land in Costa Rica is very expensive now days but I'd bet it would have perfect conditions.

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
Todos de uds, nesesitan entender lo que estoy diciendoles. Operacion dos dias es una idea increible lo que pueda cambiar nuestro puesto contra Los Vendores Malos de Noble! Ellos quieren sesenta $$$ por libra? Que pendeja es esa situacion. Siganme amigos! No compren mas kava de ellos hasta que nuestro plan termine!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Todos de uds, nesesitan entender lo que estoy diciendoles. Operacion dos dias es una idea increible lo que pueda cambiar nuestro puesto contra Los Vendores Malos de Noble! Ellos quieren sesenta $$$ por libra? Que pendeja es esa situacion. Siganme amigos! No compren mas kava de ellos hasta que nuestro plan termine!
Y que va pasar con los pobres que crecen este kava?