Change background image

26% kavalactones!?

Discussion in 'Unknown Vendor / Product Discussion' started by _byron, Jun 11, 2019.

1. SelfBiasResistor

SelfBiasResistor Persist for Resistance!

Would you say it's as sedating as the description on the bag claims? How does it compare to the Dokobana Vula? That was one of the best I've had in the past 4 or 5 years.
  2. ThePiper

ThePiper Kava Enthusiast

3. _byron

_byron Kava Enthusiast

It is a very heavy kava. I remember the Dokobana Vula being balanced this is heavier IMO.
  4. ThePiper

ThePiper Kava Enthusiast

Heres the others. None make sense.

Attached Files:

5. Henry

Henry . Moderator The Kava Society of New Zealand

maybe this "dope" is a blend of three of these kavas and they just added up two or more HPLC results thinking that if 1 is 13%, the other 10% and another 6% then the total kl is 26%? ;)

Reminds me of one vendor who claimed his kava was x years old. People thought he talked about the age of the plants at the time of harvest, but it turned out his supplier might have been referring to the time it spent in his warehouse.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    JohnMichael and kavamehameha like this.
  6. ThePiper

ThePiper Kava Enthusiast

She says that this is the lab testing that was sent from the supplier..? It really makes me think that the University of South Pacific has a laboratory full of... "unskilled" people.
  7. Kapmcrunk

Kapmcrunk The Kaptain of Crunk KavaForums Founder

I hope I'm not being over semantic, but the title is "Total Lactones". Are there more lactones in kava than just the ones we look for, because they didn't specify "kavalactones"?

Edit: Saw the Test Certificate. It says *Kavalactones.

Just splitting hairs.
  8. verticity

verticity I'm interested in things

The only lactones measured by HPLC are the big 6, and the numbers should add up. In fact they do add up in the most recent 3 pdfs (and on all other COAs I have seen from USP). The issue with those though is that the individual KL numbers imply chemotypes of 123456 (for all 3), contradicting the printed chemotypes such as 426351, etc. If you look at them it's obvious that there are elementary and egregious errors on all 4 of the chemotype results attributed to USP. What we don't know is whether USP made mistakes on all the COAs or they were altered by someone later in the supply chain.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    kasa_balavu and Kapmcrunk like this.
  9. Kapmcrunk

Thank you for that correction. That's....that's something. That really opens the door to some unsettling possibilities.
  10. kasa_balavu

kasa_balavu Yaqona Dina

I'm contacting the lab to find out.
    _byron likes this.
  11. _byron

_byron Kava Enthusiast

Ooo keep us updated
  12. kavakarma

kavakarma Member

If the test results show a kavalactone percent of 26 or even half that I'm buying 2 bags right away.
  13. Kapmcrunk

Okay, so I noticed at the bottom of one of the tests it says this "Tests marked with † were done at Atlas Bioscience Labs, LLC, a joint venture with Advanced Laboratories. 1775 S. Pantano Rd - Ste #110, Tucson, AZ 85710"

I did a quick google search on Atlas Bioscience, LLC, and boy oh boy.

http://www.altmedrev.com/archive/publications/17/1/1.pdf

In that document it talks about how NBC and Chris Hansen actually pulled a sting on the lab and caught them red handed. Another search returned this NBC Special.

"The Hanson Files - Supplements Part 1

"The Hanson Files - Supplements Part 2

(Part 3 is the part which shows them entering the lab and speaking with the lab technician)
    "The Hanson Files - Supplements Part 3

View them at your own leisure. I know what I make out of it.
  14. ThePiper

ThePiper Kava Enthusiast

15. _byron

_byron Kava Enthusiast

That video was concerning to say the least. I would seriously doubt any contaminants, but that 26% is becoming way more suspect.
    kavamehameha likes this.
  16. Zaphod

Zaphod Kava Enthusiast

This brings up a good point - are there reasonable steps a supplier or user can do to vet a lab? The original lab lists certifications on their site. Is there a way to check those?
  17. _byron

_byron Kava Enthusiast

This is a little off topic but it is an issue in Cannabis
  18. Kapmcrunk

Go down to the local hardware store and pick up some lead fishing weights to break apart and grab some rat poison. When submitting samples include one product that you know you'll never sell and spike the hell out of it. That would be a crude and very base way of telling, but wouldn't get into any of the fine measurements.
  19. kasa_balavu

kasa_balavu Yaqona Dina

BTW there's something else I found that's unusual.
    Of the four COA's from IAS/USP that have been shared in this thread, one (the one incorrectly showing 27%KL) is dated 02/05/18 and the other three are dated 01/08/19. Unless IAS/USP has recently changed to a US date format (MM/DD/YY) – and I can't see I reason why they would – the latter date is still in the future. Fiji uses DD/MM/YY so that date is the 1st of August, 2019. That might indicate that If these COA's were indeed doctored by someone after they left the lab, the person who did so was probably American as the US is AFAIK the only country where this date format is used.

I've contacted IAS/USP and am still waiting to hear from them.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  20. Kapmcrunk

By chance, have they gotten back to you?