What's new

2nd wash help.

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
I'm out of my beloved root. I've got 2 small nylon strainer bags left that have already been kneaded for 10 mins and though I've been doing 2nd washes with the stuff it turns out like the dreaded dirty dishwater - not very potent at all. Last time I even tried boiling water but that did nothing.

I've heard using a blender can help. Worth a shot, or have I just extracted everything from the stuff? I'm using the Wakacon Fijan Waka (Which I maintain is a good kava for the price. It can get me very krunked at half the price of most Kavas. )

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
I've begun the practice of doing a 2nd wash immediately after and adding it to the initial brew to give it a little boost. Have not tried a 3rd wash yet. I'm using an aluball so subsequent washes are easy to do.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
Sounds like you've done a pretty good job kneading that 1st wash.(y)
Try the blender, but use 1/2 the amount of water and use warm not boiling, might get a few KL's out of that.

Reactions: EQ

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Also hit up a local Whole Foods or Vitamin Shoppe and pick up some Yogi kava tea, it's not the same as actual root but if you brew 4-5 bags at once it hits the spot. (this reminds me to stock up on it as well).

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
Also hit up a local Whole Foods or Vitamin Shoppe and pick up some Yogi kava tea, it's not the same as actual root but if you brew 4-5 bags at once it hits the spot. (this reminds me to stock up on it as well).
Huh I've never heard of this. I'll have to check it out! Is it very expensive, friend?

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
That tea is what made me aware that kava even existed. My wife bought it for me. I asked her for chamomile and she brought me the yogi stuff too. At first it did nothing but after a few tries I noticed an extremely subtle calm. So I knew kava worked. Then I moved on to medium grind.

My concern with the tea is that its an extract and of unknown origin. At least with the medium grind I know its noble and only root. No stems or leaves. It does taste pretty decent though and yeah it does work to a limited degree.

Fact is......I drink wayyyyyy too much. Im not one for subtle. Im not really satisfied till Im completely krunked. Thats why it costs me so much. Im going through 4 pounds a month.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
That tea is what made me aware that kava even existed. My wife bought it for me. I asked her for chamomile and she brought me the yogi stuff too. At first it did nothing but after a few tries I noticed an extremely subtle calm. So I knew kava worked. Then I moved on to medium grind.

My concern with the tea is that its an extract and of unknown origin. At least with the medium grind I know its noble and only root. No stems or leaves. It does taste pretty decent though and yeah it does work to a limited degree.

Fact is......I drink wayyyyyy too much. Im not one for subtle. Im not really satisfied till Im completely krunked. Thats why it costs me so much. Im going through 4 pounds a month.
I hear yah, I go through about 4-6 pounds a month as well, though I look like a prune lately and I am covered in dermo, lol.