What's new

5-HTP, L-Thyrosine, and Kava?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
So I’ve recently decided to try taking 5-HTP and L-Thyrosine to see if they can help some ongoing issues that I’ve felt for years. I’m also using a B-vitamin complex. I’ve used these “supplements,” for a couple days now and I feel amazing. I can’t remember the last time that I felt “normal.” For those that don’t know 5-HTP is essentially the precursor of serotonin, and L-Thyrosine is the precursor to Dopamine if I understand correctly.

I know nobody can offer medical advice necessarily here but curious if anybody more knowledgeable can offer any input on these with potential dangers associated with Kava consumption. Main concerns would be serotonin syndrome which is absolutely dangerous and fatal.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
So I’ve recently decided to try taking 5-HTP and L-Thyrosine to see if they can help some ongoing issues that I’ve felt for years. I’m also using a B-vitamin complex. I’ve used these “supplements,” for a couple days now and I feel amazing. I can’t remember the last time that I felt “normal.” For those that don’t know 5-HTP is essentially the precursor of serotonin, and L-Thyrosine is the precursor to Dopamine if I understand correctly.

I know nobody can offer medical advice necessarily here but curious if anybody more knowledgeable can offer any input on these with potential dangers associated with Kava consumption. Main concerns would be serotonin syndrome which is absolutely dangerous and fatal.
I believe I've read that studies have shown kava to have very little to negligible effect on serotonin, so the risk of serotonin syndrome is probably almost zero. In the same study, kava's action appeared to have nothing to do with opioid receptors and only a little bit on dopamine. *If I'm remembering this correctly*.

I've recently had to take 5-htp, b-complex and a benzodiazepine every morning for over a month, and still drank kava every night, plus occasional glasses of wine here and there. It's not a combo I would normally do or recommend, but I had to do it, to try to get through a drastic negative change in my mental health that popped up. Anyway...so far, I haven't noticed any perceptible downsides to the combo, but perhaps my bloodwork will tell a different story. It wouldn't be surprising to me if my liver enzymes are a bit higher than usual, because of the mixing herbs+meds etc..., but I don't really care at this point, so long as it's not life threatening, because brain health supersedes liver health. (y)::KavaChug::

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
I believe I've read that studies have shown kava to have very little to negligible effect on serotonin, so the risk of serotonin syndrome is probably almost zero. In the same study, kava's action appeared to have nothing to do with opioid receptors and only a little bit on dopamine. *If I'm remembering this correctly*.

I've recently had to take 5-htp, b-complex and a benzodiazepine every morning for over a month, and still drank kava every night, plus occasional glasses of wine here and there. It's not a combo I would normally do or recommend, but I had to do it, to try to get through a drastic negative change in my mental health that popped up. Anyway...so far, I haven't noticed any perceptible downsides to the combo, but perhaps my bloodwork will tell a different story. It wouldn't be surprising to me if my liver enzymes are a bit higher than usual, because of the mixing herbs+meds etc..., but I don't really care at this point, so long as it's not life threatening, because brain health supersedes liver health. (y)::KavaChug::
I definitely agree with what you said there. From my understanding I don’t believe that there should be a significant interaction of any kind but wasn’t sure of anything beyond my own understanding that I might be missing here. I know the safe answer is to speak with a doctor but going with what a doctor says after they spend 15 mins googling Kava is not the route I feel comfortable taking lol. With this combo along with Yerba Mate in the morning and Kava at night I’ve never felt better just enjoying life. Everything isn’t a struggle anymore, just happy to be alive!

I’ve heard of 5-HTP losing effectiveness shortly after regular use from which seems to stem from not much B-vitamins and dopamine depletion. Again my understanding is fairly naive.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
FWIW, I've used Tyrosine in the mornings on occasion and used 5HTP and or Tryptophan after kava and didn't notice any kind of negative reaction. Based on my experiences, I don't think kava has any measurable effect on serotonin that would cause any kind of negative interaction.

Kava Luke

For information's sake, iv'e heard kavalactone 5 has an effect on serotonin.
Supposedly the higher up 5 is in the chemo-type lineup, for a particular strain of kava; the more nauseating, and there are serotonin receptors in the stomach.

I would potentially watch out for Tudei kava mixed with 5HTP.

NotKrunk

Kava Curious
I use 5 http at night along with melatonin and Kava. During the day l theanine-specifically suntheanine magnesium and aswaghanda. I immerse myself in what makes me anxious. The supplements are very useful in helping to calm bodily reactions to anxiety producing situations but it doesn't mask or do away with the anxiety which allows me to work with it. Working with it and allowing it to be I believe is key. I feel like I am finally getting ahead of it

Status
Not open for further replies.