What's new

50 and over?

Sheryl

Kava Curious
So I sit here waiting my first bag of Kava to arrive. I've been consuming alcohol for many moons. It's time to quit, so I'm hoping this will help me. When I needed to stop smoking, I found vaping...it had just started coming to America....it was a GOD send. I don't vape but maybe once a year and I've been tobacco free for 10 plus years. I'm praying Kava will do the same. I have no willpower against the drink! My bewitching hour is 5-7...EVERY SINGLE DAY! I do not discriminate!

D

Deleted User01

I hear ya Sherly. Dat's the time of the day we call "Happy Hour". Like yourself, Happy Hour went on for too many years. We have a strict rule here, you cannot drink alcohol on your Kava days. The two don't really mix well. So in my case, I do Kava 5 days out of the week but I still reserve 2 days for "responsible drinking". And I count those drinks and have to measure them to the drop. Here is another thing, once you go on Kava, alcohol will hit you like a ton of bricks. You have to count each drop and stop at 3 oz (in my case).
So on my Kava days, I relax on the couch and watch TV on mute while listening to my audiobook. I sleep real good. On my alcohol days I wake up on the couch with my audiobook still playing and wondering what the hell happened. I have fitful sleep on those days. I have no idea why I pass out like that but Kava just treats me very well while Alcohol is a Cruel Mistress. But I love single malt scotch and I can't help myself. You're gonna like the way you feel with Kava. ::uhhuhhz::

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
5-7 PM daily is the prime time for enjoying some shells... ::happyshell::

Just yesterday, I referred a friend of mine to @Kavafied, @Squanch72 , and @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. He happened to be in the over 50 demographic.

My Dad is approaching 50 and he cant keep his paws out of my kava when I leave it at his place. I suppose that's my mistake for leaving kava at someone else's place.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So I sit here waiting my first bag of Kava to arrive. I've been consuming alcohol for many moons. It's time to quit, so I'm hoping this will help me. When I needed to stop smoking, I found vaping...it had just started coming to America....it was a GOD send. I don't vape but maybe once a year and I've been tobacco free for 10 plus years. I'm praying Kava will do the same. I have no willpower against the drink! My bewitching hour is 5-7...EVERY SINGLE DAY! I do not discriminate!
ah, krunk at 4 pm it is, then.

fwiw I drank beer almost every day since some time in the 1970s and when I first started drinking kava I still drank but little by little I drank less and less and then one day, I don't even remember when it was but it was months ago I stopped bothering even to open the beer that I had been opening and letting sit there unconsumed each day. It just withered away and disappeared from my life, after 45 years of drinking beer very frequently. It was effortless, I didn't try to stop drinking beer, quite the contrary, I thought I wanted to keep drinking beer, but the desire grew less and less till there was none.

I haven't had a single bit of desire to drink beer ever since. I mean, I didn't quit drinking beer, I could have one if I wanted, I'm not a "non-drinker" or an ex-drinker or anything. I just have no desire to drink any, even if I go a day or even a few days without kava, although that doesn't happen too often. I like kava. But it didn't *replace* beer, nor did I ever imagine I was trying to do that, rather, it offered something more interesting and more satisfying. Also, drinking beer kind of interferes with kava and I wouldn't want that.

schatz

itchin for kava
ah, krunk at 4 pm it is, then.

fwiw I drank beer almost every day since some time in the 1970s and when I first started drinking kava I still drank but little by little I drank less and less and then one day, I don't even remember when it was but it was months ago I stopped bothering even to open the beer that I had been opening and letting sit there unconsumed each day. It just withered away and disappeared from my life, after 45 years of drinking beer very frequently. It was effortless, I didn't try to stop drinking beer, quite the contrary, I thought I wanted to keep drinking beer, but the desire grew less and less till there was none.

I haven't had a single bit of desire to drink beer ever since. I mean, I didn't quit drinking beer, I could have one if I wanted, I'm not a "non-drinker" or an ex-drinker or anything. I just have no desire to drink any, even if I go a day or even a few days without kava, although that doesn't happen too often. I like kava. But it didn't *replace* beer, nor did I ever imagine I was trying to do that, rather, it offered something more interesting and more satisfying. Also, drinking beer kind of interferes with kava and I wouldn't want that.
Same thing happened to me. I found kava in my search to have a good night's sleep. I suffer from REM sleep disorder, I dont get the parylizaton that normal people get while in REM. Thus I tended to throw punches and kick and scream all night. When I started kava a year and a half ago it didn't really cure the REM sleep disorder but it made me over the course of a couple months just quit drinking alcohol. Now I share it with acouple of alcoholic friends and it is helping them. They still haven't quit drinking but some people just need more time. Good luck.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Crackpot theory warning:

I strongly suspect that addiction, not just drinking but all addictions, are a kind of inflammation of the brain, and that it is the anti-inflammatory properties of kava which reduces those inflammations. Theoretically one could get the same effect from salicylates or other NSAIDs or from fasting but to actually achieve that effect would require dosages that would be fatal. Kava can be taken in a dose high enough to be effective but without harming you. Anyway, there's no proof of that at the moment, but it is my strong suspicion. I don't think kava kills specific addictions, I think all addictions are basically the same, at least the behavioural components as an expression of inflammation in the brain, and so kava kills addiction willy nilly. It kills cravings, compulsions, recurring unwanted thoughts, obsessions, a whole host of things involved with addiction.

It's weird in retrospect looking back on my life how much of my behaviour was that inflammatory addiction, it flared up like any other flare up, like my back pain, my achilles pain, my iritis, my skin problems, everything, the way I ate, the way I would use the internet, the way I thought .....