What's new

50 and over?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
As a resident of Baltimore I must make this disclaimer:
Not every block of the city is like this! We have our crime, and its not a good idea to walk around blindly without knowing where you are going. There are portions of the city that are very safe and it is really a great place to live and visit. That is all.
I have only had the pleasure of flying into Baltimore (many times) on business trips, but never had a chance to do anything in town. Always just grabbed my rental car and headed down to Greenbelt (Goddard). I am angling to get back on a program there in the next year and if I do I will definitely see if there are some kava friends around who want to grab a shell!

Sheryl

Kava Curious
Okay masters of Kava....how much am I suppose to make and how often can I drink? I mixed 2 tbs Extreme with 2 cups Silk Protein in a blender for 5 minutes. Strained it twice with the Kava Strainer Bag....once is enough but I wanted to make sure. I didn't chug but drank it all in about 15 minutes. I didn't want to get sick. LOVE the numbness in the back of my throat. Reminds of some foolish party days back in my early 20's with substance that could land you in jail. Of course that all ended when I met my soon to be husband who soon became a cop. Anyway...other then the numbness I'm not feeling much. Can I make another batch? Whats too much?

Kimmer

Patently irritable
You can make another batch. Just go slowly and listen to the Kava. Keeping it ice cold and chugging small shells is my suggestion. I usually drink 4-6 oz. per shell.
Did you start with an empty stomach?
If you're around, you should join the virtual Kava circle tonight :)

Sheryl

Kava Curious
You can make another batch. Just go slowly and listen to the Kava. Keeping it ice cold and chugging small shells is my suggestion. I usually drink 4-6 oz. per shell.
Did you start with an empty stomach?
If you're around, you should join the virtual Kava circle tonight :)
Yes...empty stomach. There is no way I even want my vodka tonight. I've had too much milk. Thinking 3rd batch will be just ice water.

Kimmer

Patently irritable
That can happen. Try again tomorrow night. Any reason you're using milk? I know some do, it's just not something I've tried.

Sheryl

Kava Curious
That can happen. Try again tomorrow night. Any reason you're using milk? I know some do, it's just not something I've tried.
Just recipes I read about. Something about "fat" absorption? I willl try again tomorrow night. If anything, I didn't want to even touch vodka even though I didn't get the buzz everyone is raving about. I've had to take a OTC night pill so I can sleep. That's the part I hate about no alcohol....NOT SLEEPING. Did I do something wrong or am I in RT this evening?

Crunked

Proselytizer
I didn't chug but drank it all in about 15 minutes.
IMHO you drank 2 cups too quickly. Next time try a half cup every 15 to 20 minutes to get a feel for what your system can tolerate. Welcome to the wonderful world of kava.(y)

Sheryl

Kava Curious
Well I feel like shit this morning! I'm not hungover, just irritated as all get out! I finally feel asleep after taking OTC sleep aide. I hate these pills. It makes it so hard to get going in the morning and I'm a hit the floor running type. I'm not blaming Kava. I did work out in the heat for about 4 hours yesterday cleaning out a storage unit. Had to make myself stop because I started to get a headache. I may be feeling the aftermath now. With that being said, I like that I got the numbness and it KILLED any craving for liquor, so I'll try it again tonight. Other then Kimmer and Crunked suggestions, anything else I might try to have the experience?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
IMHO you drank 2 cups too quickly. Next time try a half cup every 15 to 20 minutes to get a feel for what your system can tolerate. Welcome to the wonderful world of kava.(y)
Yup, good rule of thumb for newbs and even veterans is a 4 oz shot/shell, then wait 20 minutes, after checking how you feel. I always do that when trying a new kava, for example, just to know what I'm dealing with and stay in control. Once I know what I'm dealing with, then I happily lose control. :)

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Well I feel like shit this morning! I'm not hungover, just irritated as all get out! I finally feel asleep after taking OTC sleep aide. I hate these pills. It makes it so hard to get going in the morning and I'm a hit the floor running type. I'm not blaming Kava. I did work out in the heat for about 4 hours yesterday cleaning out a storage unit. Had to make myself stop because I started to get a headache. I may be feeling the aftermath now. With that being said, I like that I got the numbness and it KILLED any craving for liquor, so I'll try it again tonight. Other then Kimmer and Crunked suggestions, anything else I might try to have the experience?
You'll laugh later at the sheer 'doh" of this but you were and are dehydrated. Drink water. More than you think you need. Once you've done that, drink some more water.

Also, be aware that if you are taking kava and/or sleeping pills and/or alcohol, even in small amounts, you run the risk of having nightmares, vivid ones. They're not bad as with kava they usually have a happy ending (I call them "happy nightmares"). Nothing bad, but it is something to be aware of and not freak out over if it happens. You'll be fine. And on the plus side, the further away from alcohol and sleeping pills you get, the odds of those nightmares go way way down and you just have exciting, vivid kava dreams. Sleep becomes adventure time, a treat you look forward to and cherish.

But I always, and I have witnesses from last night, stop drinking kava at least an hour before bed and drink water in that time. I highly recommend you do the same.

Also, drink water.

D

Deleted User01

@Sheryl, one of the ways to keep the kava down is to NOT TASTE IT. It's like you hold your breath, take it down in 2 or 3 quick gulps, and then wash your mouth out. Then take a few sips of water and sit down and relax and don't think about it. As was mentioned earlier, each shell is consumed in 20-30 minute increments. It gives you a chance to feel the effects before you decide on another. The Kava that I recommend for beginners is Nene by GHK. It is very light colored and tastes like paper to me ... which is way better than what I normally taste. If prep bogs you down, consider instant or micronized. Good luck with Round 2.

D

Deleted User01

Man, I just read @Krunkie McKrunkface 's post on dehydration. He is sooo on target with that one. We have been hitting temps in the high 90s around here and you spent 4 hours in the Texas heat. Kava can dehydrate you a little bit and the Texas sun (as you well know) can burn you alive if you aren't careful. So hit the water. Maybe some pediolyte might help you this morning.

Sheryl

Kava Curious
@Sheryl, one of the ways to keep the kava down is to NOT TASTE IT. It's like you hold your breath, take it down in 2 or 3 quick gulps, and then wash your mouth out. Then take a few sips of water and sit down and relax and don't think about it. As was mentioned earlier, each shell is consumed in 20-30 minute increments. It gives you a chance to feel the effects before you decide on another. The Kava that I recommend for beginners is Nene by GHK. It is very light colored and tastes like paper to me ... which is way better than what I normally taste. If prep bogs you down, consider instant or micronized. Good luck with Round 2.
Honestly it tasted like melted ice cream dirt with the milk. I had no problem with it. I did noticed the first 2 cups I drank, the numbness lasted one full hour. So I made 3 cups. It numbed the throat but sat on my belly. I'm mixing it tonight with more water then soy milk. BTW....what am I suppose to feel on Kava Extreme when it hits the body?

schatz

itchin for kava
Get some tryptothan for sleeping, no hangover because it is a precusor to melatonin and some other good hormones. Trust me, this really works I have done this and recommend to all my friends who have sleep issues and it is amazing. I get mine from bulk supplements and make my own capsules, but you can try some already made cpsules first and see if it works for you.