What's new

$55M Worth of Kava Destroyed by Cyclone Winston

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
THE Ministry of Agriculture has established that damage sustained by the Kava (yaqona) sector in all four divisions now stand at $116million.

Permanent Secretary for Agriculture Uraia Waibuta said kava is one of the major commodities for local and export market and of high value.

"The total value of standing crop of yaqona before the cyclone was $498.8 million but the total value of yaqona damaged is around $116million," Mr Waibuta said.

Mr Waibuta said people should expect an increase in price of kava as the bulk of areas that usually supply kava to commercial markets were damage by Tropical Cyclone Winston.

"All the yaqona in Koro Island and Taveuni was totally devastated and shortly there will be a drastic increase in price because bulk of the areas sending yaqona to the market has been affected which are Koro, Taveuni and parts of Ra.

"But we are thankful that Kadavu, Serua, Namosi, and parts of Naitasiri and Tailevu are still able to supply some of the yaqona in the local market."
SOURCE: http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=345941

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
You know, it's at times like these when we see just how large an industry kava is, especially if there was just that much kava (and for real, I don't think I could even begin to imagine how much wholesale kava $55 million would buy you) in the ground. It's been a tough few years for the kava producing nations in terms of horrific storms. Dear Earth, Stop it. These people need their livelihoods.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
DEAR Monsanto . Stop it . Lol Earth you keep balancing yourself!
Jk... kinda.
Seriously that's insane how much kava is there, and being sold. This is a huge thing.some of us just live in America so our constant getting strange looks when making grog throws off our perception I think . Untill we see this stuff lol. Like me.

This really sucks for those hard working farmers.
One day kava forums can be a non profit kava education provider and natural disaster in kava producing island relief funding organization.
If I ever make a large some of money, this is happening. I hope your on board kap. :)

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I personally don't see a reason we cant do something eventually like that. With some kind of 1% or something small on every kava bought. It would take the percent from the vendor and customer equally . Each company could participate jus by a tag. Like disaster relief kava fundation lol tm.

D

Deleted User01

Those numbers are earth shattering. It sounds like the Kava industry is way bigger than I imagined. I wonder what happens when Marijuana gets legalized everywhere? I for one can tell you that MJ is probably a little too strong for some of us oldsters and you sure as hell can't to rocket science or any kind of brain work when you are stoned. So maybe Kava will be ok in the long run.