What's new

A Call for a Truth and Reconciliation Discussion on the Noble vs. Tudei Controversy

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
This discussion also reminded me of @nabanga 's comments on tudei. These might be of interest to some of you:

I spent many years in Vanuatu, traveling round all 80-odd islands, and never heard of tudei being used ceremonially or even medicinally. Is this published somewhere or is it more of an anecdote?
I only ever heard of a particularly nasty strain of tudei on Epi being used as a poison in "nakaimas", or black magic.
in Vanuatu no one would knowingly drink tudei ( which for those not already aware is bislama for "two-day", ie. that's how long it effects you).
If a nakamal serves tudei in Vanuatu, word quickly gets around and they lose their customers.
What's more, it is not necessarily stronger than noble kavas - I' ve been given tudei a few times and whilst 10 shells or so had my muscles locked up all night and generally made me feel bad, the actual strength was nothing on a couple of good chewed Tanna shells.
It is only since recently discovering this forum that I have seen that some people actually seek out tudei which seems just strange.
Tudei is not "drinking" kava. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Nobody in the countries that kava came from - Vanuatu, Samoa ,Tonga, Fiji - deliberately drink tudei.
Whilst no doubt tudei kavas can be very strong, strength and painkilling properties do not define them. Some tudei's - and I would say most, in Vanuatu at least, are no stronger than other noble kavas, but just make you sick as hell the next day. Not the normal " kava hangover" that even the best noble will provide if you overdo it, but a real full body sickness.
The strongest most pain relieving kavas I've had have been noble , like from central Tanna or southwest bay on Malekula.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
In the spirit of friendship I think we should all drink some kava (I'm 3 shells in personally) and agree that anyone who wants to drink tudei should be allowed to but that we should do everything we can to stop noobs getting tudei and swearing off kava forever. Also knowingly adulterating noble kava with tudei should be a capital offence. As well unless the TK project starts up any time soon I don't think that's something we need to worry about... BULA!
Heh heh... wayyyy ahead of you! Bula!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Yes, ok. Just stop causing meaningless arguments and start posting reviews again.
\

Indeed. In many ways I see your point and agree with you. My primary agenda as a Kava blogger has been to review Kavas and do interest pieces. I'm currently working on a full spread on Kava Candy with an interview with Steven. Although, in the old days, I did write a few pieces on the "Kava Wars" between government agencies and the root. I think they were in 2009-2010.

But I see your point and I think you might be on the right track here. I've wandered outside of my job description a bit and seem to have failed to resolve any of this.

However, I would love to see people stop taking sides and "liking" everything mean and nasty that is said about me. Insecure? Sure, why not. I'm human.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
\

Indeed. In many ways I see your point and agree with you. My primary agenda as a Kava blogger has been to review Kavas and do interest pieces. I'm currently working on a full spread on Kava Candy with an interview with Steven. Although, in the old days, I did write a few pieces on the "Kava Wars" between government agencies and the root. I think they were in 2009-2010.

But I see your point and I think you might be on the right track here. I've wandered outside of my job description a bit and seem to have failed to resolve any of this.

However, I would love to see people stop taking sides and "liking" everything mean and nasty that is said about me. Insecure? Sure, why not. I'm human.
Well I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say... we love you!!! You're a great guy, a great ambassador for kava and I have spent many happy hours going back through old videos watching you get twisted on strong kava and then trying to talk sense about it. The thing is though, a lot of people couldn't see where you were coming from with this seeming vendetta against true kava. I understand your concerns about TK but I don't think they are justified at this particular moment in time. We didn't need to have all of the bad feeling and argument in this thread so why start it all up again? I for one am looking forward to the next review, what have you got coming out next?

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
A full spread on Kava Candy. Then I'll get back into some powders. I've tapped pretty much the whole market now. I need to go through Real Kava's new lineup, since they seem to be making a come back.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
A full spread on Kava Candy. Then I'll get back into some powders. I've tapped pretty much the whole market now. I need to go through Real Kava's new lineup, since they seem to be making a come back.
Batches do change as well though don't they so there's no harm in a recap now and then. I just got a delivery from N@H and GHK and trying some white sand before lunch, really nice stuff.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Batches do change as well though don't they so there's no harm in a recap now and then. I just got a delivery from N@H and GHK and trying some white sand before lunch, really nice stuff.
Yup. I've don't plenty of these. Wow! is one that changes a lot, but always seems to maintain its high quality.