What's new

A) Hi, B) Hello, C) Good evening!

raindear

Eternal consciousness (illusively personified)
Greetings! I'm a new member, so I thought it would be appropriate to introduce myself in the New Members Forum.

I first tried something which was supposedly kava in the early 1990s. I got very fuzzed out that evening and felt so bad the next day that I decided to leave kava alone for a long time. By 2012, I was ready to try again. I ordered some medium grind powder from Kava by Rex, and prepared it in the blender with coconut oil and squeezed through a fine wire mesh tea strainer. The resulting grog made me feel good, but the more the days rolled on, the less interested I was in repeating the experience. I thought at the time reverse tolerance was working so well that eventually I didn't need any kava at all to get its effects.

This year I found out about micronized kava with the makas removed, and that made sense to me. I've been trying some of the KWK and GHK micronized kavas, looking for a couple of favorites to keep me cheerful during the day, and a couple to make me sleep solidly at night. It's been an adventure, since each person's reactions are different, so expected effects gleaned from kava reviews are more guidelines than guarantees.

KWK Vula Waka is the only kava that has proven reliable for sleep so far. I was hoping GHK Nene would do that for me, but I got insomnia from it. At least I was lying awake calmly and happily, mostly unconcerned whether I would be alert at work the next day, and luckily I was. KWK Borogu, which I had also hoped might be good for sleep, made me wake up repeatedly through the night. My favorites for daytime use so far are KWK Pouni Ono and GHK Mo'i, both of which keep me smiling and moderately motivated. Bringing up the rear, micronized Loa Waka from KWK was notable mainly for its propulsive toxic fumes. Your mileage may vary - gut microbiomes are as individual as fingerprints.

One major benefit has been obliteration of my hair-trigger response to events which would ordinarily set off lingering anxiety or upset. I'm naturally inclined to worry over why I suddenly don't care about supposedly important stuff, but the kava makes me not worry about that, either! When the kava wears off, I'm on the fence whether it's OK to have almost zero reaction to things that used to wrap me around the axle. Ancient teachings peppered with last-minute rationalizations will probably be enough to silence that concern.

The ability of kava to remove muscle pain and tension has been remarkable. I can't tell yet whether the underlying causes are getting better or worse over time. My eyesight presents a somewhat reverse situation. Certain cultivars seem to aggravate an aging-related double vision issue, not from crossed eyes, but from increased intensity and separation of a ghost image in each eye below the real image. However, when the kava wears off, my vision is sharper than the previous baseline, so there might be some healing in the background. Hopefully time will tell what's going on there. Maybe cataracts, maybe aluminum nanodust from the sky-whitening airplanes.

I use glass jars as shells. Before sipping, I pour the liquid back and forth between jars to distribute the fine sediment evenly. I haven't found it necessary to chug, since I like the taste of kava. I'm definitely a lightweight, which may be partly due to having redheaded ancestors. I rarely feel like going over 4 teaspoons (not tablespoons) of micronized kava for the whole day. I use a blender with warm water, coconut oil and sunflower lecithin to start, then add coconut water and blend some more. Watch out for lecithin, high doses have been known to worsen depression for some people, but a little can be beneficial, for both mood and emulsification. I only had nausea on one occasion when I ate way too much processed food substitute. For whatever reason, kava makes me really hungry, so the spare tire around my middle has been growing, completely without permission.

Well, that's more than enough homespun literature for an introductory post. I wanted to say Hi after reading the archives here for a few weeks. Y'alls seem like a nice bunch. Even the controversies have been relatively mellow. ::awesomesmiles::

tl;dr I got gas.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Greetings! I'm a new member, so I thought it would be appropriate to introduce myself in the New Members Forum.

I first tried something which was supposedly kava in the early 1990s. I got very fuzzed out that evening and felt so bad the next day that I decided to leave kava alone for a long time. By 2012, I was ready to try again. I ordered some medium grind powder from Kava by Rex, and prepared it in the blender with coconut oil and squeezed through a fine wire mesh tea strainer. The resulting grog made me feel good, but the more the days rolled on, the less interested I was in repeating the experience. I thought at the time reverse tolerance was working so well that eventually I didn't need any kava at all to get its effects.

This year I found out about micronized kava with the makas removed, and that made sense to me. I've been trying some of the KWK and GHK micronized kavas, looking for a couple of favorites to keep me cheerful during the day, and a couple to make me sleep solidly at night. It's been an adventure, since each person's reactions are different, so expected effects gleaned from kava reviews are more guidelines than guarantees.

KWK Vula Waka is the only kava that has proven reliable for sleep so far. I was hoping GHK Nene would do that for me, but I got insomnia from it. At least I was lying awake calmly and happily, mostly unconcerned whether I would be alert at work the next day, and luckily I was. KWK Borogu, which I had also hoped might be good for sleep, made me wake up repeatedly through the night. My favorites for daytime use so far are KWK Pouni Ono and GHK Mo'i, both of which keep me smiling and moderately motivated. Bringing up the rear, micronized Loa Waka from KWK was notable mainly for its propulsive toxic fumes. Your mileage may vary - gut microbiomes are as individual as fingerprints.

One major benefit has been obliteration of my hair-trigger response to events which would ordinarily set off lingering anxiety or upset. I'm naturally inclined to worry over why I suddenly don't care about supposedly important stuff, but the kava makes me not worry about that, either! When the kava wears off, I'm on the fence whether not reacting to things that used to wrap me around the axle is OK. Ancient teachings peppered with last-minute rationalizations will probably be enough to silence that concern.

The ability of kava to remove muscle pain and tension has been remarkable. I can't tell yet whether the underlying causes are getting better or worse over time. My eyesight presents a somewhat reverse situation. Certain cultivars seem to aggravate an aging-related double vision issue, not from crossed eyes, but from increased intensity and separation of a ghost image in each eye below the real image. However, when the kava wears off, my vision is sharper than the previous baseline, so there might be some healing in the background. Hopefully time will tell what's going on there. Maybe cataracts, maybe aluminum nanodust from the sky-whitening airplanes.

I use glass jars as shells. Before sipping, I pour the liquid back and forth between jars to distribute the fine sediment evenly. I haven't found it necessary to chug, since I like the taste of kava. I'm definitely a lightweight, which may be partly due to having redheaded ancestors. I rarely feel like going over 4 teaspoons (not tablespoons) of micronized kava for the whole day. I use a blender with warm water, coconut oil and sunflower lecithin to start, then add coconut water and blend some more. Watch out for lecithin, high doses have been known to worsen depression for some people, but a little can be beneficial, for both mood and emulsification. I only had nausea on one occasion when I ate way too much processed junk. For whatever reason, kava makes me really hungry, so the spare tire around my middle has been growing, completely without permission.

Well, that's more than enough homespun literature for an introductory post. I wanted to say Hi after reading the archives here for a few weeks. Y'alls seem like a nice bunch. Even the controversies have been relatively mellow. ::awesomesmiles::

tl;dr I got gas.
I had to get new glasses after drinking kava for a while because in that time my vision had improved drastically. Could have been due to old age or weight loss, but in any event, I had to get new glasses. You might want to get that checked out.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
One major benefit has been obliteration of my hair-trigger response to events which would ordinarily set off lingering anxiety or upset. I'm naturally inclined to worry over why I suddenly don't care about supposedly important stuff, but the kava makes me not worry about that, either! When the kava wears off, I'm on the fence whether it's OK to have almost zero reaction to things that used to wrap me around the axle. Ancient teachings peppered with last-minute rationalizations will probably be enough to silence that concern.
Welcome aboard!