Change background image

A wider spectrum

Discussion in 'In-Depth Kava Discussion' started by KavaKavaJava, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Henry

Henry . Moderator The Kava Society of New Zealand

The very fact that there is not a single "kratom bar" in America despite kratom accounting for over 80% of average Florida "kava bar" revenue (as per industry insiders), suggests that the vendors of the plant do feel the need to be cautious.

Again, I dont care abt kratom and wish its users all the best. It is just unfortunate that much confusion has been created in the States due to the practice of selling it in "kava bars". The owners of NZ kava bar are telling me American tourists are often coming by to ask for kratom and are surprised (and in one case visibly outraged) the bar doesnt sell it.
    In NZ kratom is a prescription medication, possibly as it should be in other places too (bearing in mind that healthcare is largely free in New Zealand).
  2. bogmonkey

bogmonkey Member

I'm also in the Tampa Bay area - howdy brethren!
    There are SO MANY "bunk" kava bars it's unreal. I tend to avoid most of them. It's easy to spot the fakers.
    I mostly make my own kava at home because it's top quality and a fraction of the cost.
    Bula Cafe on 5th Ave N is 100% legit, they offer different types of kava and now what "lateral roots" means.
    Low Tide in Gulfport is also on the approved list.
    If you ask the kava bartender for details about their kava and they cannot answer there's a problem.
    If they serve only one kind of kava, there's a problem.
    If the primary purpose of the lounge is vaping and kratom, there's a problem.
    Most of these places are serving trash kava, with a trash vibe. To me it feels like drinking poison when I get fake kava so I generally avoid kava bars.
    kastom_lif and KavaKavaJava like this.
  3. bogmonkey

bogmonkey Member

P.S. It would be cool as hell to have a kava circle meetup (where everyone brings a jug of their favorite kava for sharing)
    I have not been to Modernesian in Tampa but I now it is a "pure" kava bar and would be a fun place to meetup for a kava circle (though we would have to drink their varieties)
    kastom_lif, nashfire and Kojo Douglas like this.
  4. ThePiper

ThePiper Kava Enthusiast

Probably a bunch of hard heads out there. Noble kava can be hard to market to tourists and novelty seekers because it doesnt hit as hard as tudei for first timers.
  5. Kojo Douglas

Kojo Douglas Kava Enthusiast

I honestly don’t think there’s that much Tudei being served at any Kava bars. Is there any evidence for this? My experience is that these generic Kava bars just serve crappy watered down Kava.

It’s actually really hard to find Tudei at all!
    Kavashua and SelfBiasResistor like this.
  6. Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Kava Expert Kava Vendor

It is actually real easy to find tudei kava, check this out-----
    https://kava.com/shop/tudei-kava-root-powder/
    https://kava.com/shop/isa-kava-root/
    This next one is a isa extract found here----
    https://rootofhappinesskava.com/?gc...hFxRf1fARfYR3n87vVN0WLcCTzcBhUyhoC6V0QAvD_BwE
    Then you can always get Isa from this person----
    https://www.instagram.com/isabestkava/
    Kava by Rex still sells Isa but is currently out of stock.
    Now you know that it is still very easy to get.

Chris
    kastom_lif likes this.
  7. Kojo Douglas

Yes, if you are interested in buying Tudei it can be found. But of the dozen or so Kava bars I've been to, I've only seen Isa once. I was served wild Kava once, but that's a whole different beast.
  8. Kapmcrunk

Kapmcrunk The Kaptain of Crunk KavaForums Founder

lol, where on earth do you even buy wild kava specifically to sell? That's a bigger enigma than the tudei to me personally. It seems you would almost have to try to purchase such shitty product.
    Krunʞy and Kojo Douglas like this.
  9. Kojo Douglas

In the case of wild Kava, it must be that when farmers aggregate their root they harvest from the bush and mix it in with their exports. I don't think anyone ever intentionally drinks wild Kava unless it's for ritual purposes.
  10. Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Kava Expert Kava Vendor

Yes, I guess your right. There are a few bars that I know of but that is here in Hawaii. I guess it is good that it is hard to find in the kava bars, but bad that some have low quality kava that they serve to potential new kava consumers.

Chris
    Krunʞy and Mo'iety like this.
  11. kasa_balavu

kasa_balavu Yaqona Dina

Kratom Culture
    This news report has nothing to do with kava and yet kava is all over it. Such a shame.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    fait, Kapmcrunk, Henry and 1 other person like this.
  12. Kapmcrunk

Oh, that's the one! I could hear my wife laugh from the other room when I was watching it when she heard "Bula!" after hearing the subject of the clip.

Of course "Bula!" is one of the first things you hear. "Bula" has nothing to do with this. I chock that up to the reporter or editor of the segment not understanding that the term is one from kava culture. However, no matter "why", it still underscores the fact that we've seen kava being plastered in news articles due to the negative attention that kratom is receiving. Again, another reason even the kratom bar owners themselves should be protecting their future income by making a VERY distinct line in the sand between the two. I honestly think kratom would enjoy a much more solid future if it weren't sold as a recreational substance. I digress, though. The main concern seems to be and will most likely always be that dollar for some.
  13. Krunkie McKrunkface

Krunkie McKrunkface Kava Enthusiast

Wichimanni? That would take some guts to drink. What was it like?
  14. Kojo Douglas

It was awful. Not a good thing to drink when you’re out and about doing a Kava bar tour. I went cross eyed and became really confused and tired.
  15. kastom_lif

kastom_lif Kava Enthusiast

Try to find even one kava bar in a US state where kratom is illegal. Even if you’re not selling kratom, the very association will attract unwanted heat from law enforcement.

Kratom is a straight up felony here in Alabama. If I were to open a kava bar or even just sell readymade casually online, I guarantee I’d be getting raided weekly. Not worth the hassle. Even the super sketchy “kava” in local head shops has completely disappeared.
    Krunkie McKrunkface likes this.
  16. kastom_lif

kastom_lif Kava Enthusiast

Introduced PNG isa is the big culprit in Hawaii. In Vanuatu there’s also also stuff like palisi and fabu/stone. They all grow fast and pack a mean punch.

Though, the 2002 Kava Act doesn’t allow export of tudei. So you’ll only find it blended into other cultivars, either accidentally or on purpose (hence the need for trust, integrity and testing.) On the other hand, “medicinal” kava is quite hard to come by and you CAN export it legally as long as the overseas buyer asks for it by name.
    kasa_balavu likes this.
  17. kasa_balavu

kasa_balavu Yaqona Dina

JohnMichael and Henry like this.
  18. Kapmcrunk

kasa_balavu likes this.