What's new

A young guy finds love

Yung_Kava

I'm a 17 year old highschool junior who recently discovered Kava. This year has been pretty hard for me thanks to a combo of ADHD, anxiety, and SAD. Long story short, I started drinking (alone) to combat anxiety and feel less shitty on friday nights. Fun fact: the first time I had a shot of whiskey it was an attempt to reduce anxiety enough to do homework. I'm not trying to act like I had a problem, my usage was not heavy and less than weekly. My family does have some history of addiction though and I definitely noticed my brain starting to react to negative things by drinking. Ex. I forget to do an assignment (ADHD) then get really anxious about it (anxiety), then my brain goes "hey, wouldn't it be great to go home and do some drinking?". I rarely followed through on that impulse but looking back on it that is definitely kinda concerning.

I heard about kava while looking for things other than alcohol to do on a friday night that would help with anxiety. I definitely didn't want to get involved with benzos even though I probably could have gotten a script, especially mid winter when I was really falling apart. There is this idea you come across sometimes that "for everyone there is a drug out there that fills a hole in their mind so well that it instantly becomes a problem". I am pretty sure that I could not handle benzos.

I started out with a medium grind KWK borogu because I could get it from amazon. And my god this stuff is beautiful. I was lucky enough not to experience reverse tolerance and from the very first night I was in love. I don't get urges to drink anymore and I feel much better about the risks I am taking and the decisions I am making about my health. One of the best parts for me is that I like kava better than booze. When I used to get drunk alone in my room at 11pm I would end up sitting on my bed feeling sad and unhappy for a few hours and eventually falling into a mediocre sleep. When I mix up some kava I instead spend the night feeling chill and listening to music or a podcast. My school recently had prom and I elected to mix up a batch of micronized Loa Waka in a large water bottle instead of taking the risk that someone would have alcohol (note: nobody did, my friend group don't party all that much). It was a great night and even though the kava would have been better suited to more relaxed music than what was played I enjoyed dancing with some friends.

Bonus: I love the taste of kava, it's like peppery dirt and for some reason I like that

tl;dr: 17 year old found kava, likes it more than alcohol, has very chill time

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you! I am so grateful for you, Yung_Kava.

Kava is by far more sustainable than ethanol, and I wish you to please keep finding the reasons kava is better. Please do it for yourself. I am 21 and drank at 17 and it was the worst decision I kept making over and over. I would love to chat with you sometime if you're interested, I can tell you about mistakes I made and how I overcame them, and be a good listener, connect on a friendly personable level

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/ethanol
"This agent kills organisms by denaturing their proteins."

You are valuable to yourself and to your world; preserve yourself, be grateful for all you can do with your body and mind, don't throw it to the alcohol - get as kava krunk as you want tho! Peace my friend! Keep at it!

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
You're welcome! Thank you for accepting me :)

By the way what's so bad about reverse tolerance w/ kava? So far, it means I simply use less kava.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I'm a 17 year old highschool junior who recently discovered Kava. This year has been pretty hard for me thanks to a combo of ADHD, anxiety, and SAD. Long story short, I started drinking (alone) to combat anxiety and feel less shitty on friday nights. Fun fact: the first time I had a shot of whiskey it was an attempt to reduce anxiety enough to do homework. I'm not trying to act like I had a problem, my usage was not heavy and less than weekly. My family does have some history of addiction though and I definitely noticed my brain starting to react to negative things by drinking. Ex. I forget to do an assignment (ADHD) then get really anxious about it (anxiety), then my brain goes "hey, wouldn't it be great to go home and do some drinking?". I rarely followed through on that impulse but looking back on it that is definitely kinda concerning.

I heard about kava while looking for things other than alcohol to do on a friday night that would help with anxiety. I definitely didn't want to get involved with benzos even though I probably could have gotten a script, especially mid winter when I was really falling apart. There is this idea you come across sometimes that "for everyone there is a drug out there that fills a hole in their mind so well that it instantly becomes a problem". I am pretty sure that I could not handle benzos.

I started out with a medium grind KWK borogu because I could get it from amazon. And my god this stuff is beautiful. I was lucky enough not to experience reverse tolerance and from the very first night I was in love. I don't get urges to drink anymore and I feel much better about the risks I am taking and the decisions I am making about my health. One of the best parts for me is that I like kava better than booze. When I used to get drunk alone in my room at 11pm I would end up sitting on my bed feeling sad and unhappy for a few hours and eventually falling into a mediocre sleep. When I mix up some kava I instead spend the night feeling chill and listening to music or a podcast. My school recently had prom and I elected to mix up a batch of micronized Loa Waka in a large water bottle instead of taking the risk that someone would have alcohol (note: nobody did, my friend group don't party all that much). It was a great night and even though the kava would have been better suited to more relaxed music than what was played I enjoyed dancing with some friends.

Bonus: I love the taste of kava, it's like peppery dirt and for some reason I like that

tl;dr: 17 year old found kava, likes it more than alcohol, has very chill time
I quite enjoyed my drinking at your age, but it did drive some wildly stupid behavior. Kava is a much better option, and I am glad you found it and was able to recognize its potential before getting too deep into booze. Good luck with your journey.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Nothing puts a smile on my face like seeing someone click with kava. Most of the people who stick around here experienced much the same situation. Some of us had to drink it for a few weeks first, but once that kava feeling finally landed....it was love. In fact you could say this website sprung forth from that love and appreciation for this plant.

And to echo krunky, I solidly wish I had found kava at your age. I took a few turns down the teenage path and found myself with a physical addiction to opiates. No fun. I use that as a reference to how kava acts in my life, and to date I have yet to steal, lie, and manipulate to get my hands on another hit of that tan root juice. Kava can be a weekend relaxer, a daily de-stresser or a total life saver. For me it's been all 3. I owe a good bit of who I am to this plant, and to see others benefiting just adds to the enjoyment we all get out of it.

You're among friends here.

Welcome aboard, and BULA!

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
This is a great success story. I didn't get into alcohol for any reasons other than curiosity. I was one of the few who didn't drink until I was of legal age. Alcohol from a cultural aspect interested me since so many people were influenced by the likes of beer, wine, hard liquor, and more specific beverages like the martini, the manhattan, the long island, etc. So naturally I wanted to experience what people were going on about how alcohol or even specific beverages does for people. The tastes are distinct, and barring alcoholism, I recommend trying certain types of booze, whether hard or not, just to have a cultural perspective. Of course, do so legally! My family thankfully does not have an alcohol problem, and once I got my kicks with trying many types of beer, many types of hard liquor, and the occasional wine (wine has not been a favorite beverage of mine until recently), it was easy to drink less. It was easy for me to stop.

I initially got into kava for a similar reason. I wanted to partake in a particular cultural activity, in this case, a South Pacific tradition. I wasn't looking for a cure for anything when I started drinking kava. I simply wanted to do what many Pacific Islanders do. And thanks to some research and eventually stumbling upon you guys, I am doing that now.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I guess it makes sense. You're not far removed the age of being a typical kid who likes to play in, and eat dirt ! Nothing wrong with that - we all went through that "kid" phase :)
Ha
I kid. I kid (no pun intended)

But glad you discovered it before you were old enough to drink. Therefore, removing the temptation to go down a potentially damaging road.

Last edited:

Yung_Kava

Got real busy with school and couldn't get back to the thread for a minute (finals week). Just wanted to make sure I thanked ya'll for the kind words. I'm real happy this forum is around to give people the knowledge to really appreciate kava. ::KavaChug::

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Good luck with finals! Post whenever is best for you-you're appreciated here. I go to the library for internet most of the time.