What's new

Abdominal pain after third dose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiomassMan

Yesterday/Saturday

3:30pm
First dose:
New to kava, started taking the NOW 30% kavalactones pills(250mg), 8 pills/day Thurs and Fri, worked somewhat ok and had no issues.
Saturday, received my 11 year Waka micronized from Bula Kava house. First dose before work (approximately 2hrs 30 min after eating) I mixed .5 tablespoons Waka with 1.5cups wholemilk+1.5cups sleepy time extra + 1.5 tablespoons cocoa powder and 1.5 packets of stevia leaf powder, I then drank about half of that mixture. It gave me a good buzz, felt relaxed and somewhat euphoric. No abdominal pain.

5:30pm
Second dose:
2hrs later I decided to mix an extra .5 tbs Waka in with the remaining mixture. After drinking the remainder of it, I was on cloud-9 for about 30min, super relaxed, euphoric, happy, was kinda laughing at nothing, strong dissociative effects, very similar to alcohol but I could still focus properly enough to do my job. No abdominal pain at all.

10:20pm
3rd dose:
One hour later I ate lunch and the effects dissipated. 3hrs 20min after that, I took another bottle of the exact same mixture but with 1tbs Waka. Soon after ingesting I experienced a stronger drunk-like feeling, narrowed perception, dissociated yet focused, and happy.
30 min in I felt a pain in both my upper left abdomen, near the top abdominal, and my right abdominal, it felt about a 2.5-3 on the pain scale. The pain appeared to come and go ever 5 seconds, sometimes in 3-5 min periods of sustained pain. Felt like I had to shit. It persisted for about 1hr 30 min and stopped after I rubbed my stomach for awhile towards the end of my shift.

Today/Sun
Sleep was pretty normal, after eating breakfast I felt groggy somewhat like a hangover. No evidence of Jaundice I think, skin and eyes look normal, pee is clear, though my stool looks a bit oranger and brighter than usual, the cocoa powder?
Thoughts:
Could this be as simple as my stomach not being used to the kava powder, especially since it was mixed with 3 other substances: cocoa, whole milk,and sleepytime extra? Or is the problem more complex, was it my liver experiencing the pain or my stomach, or something else entirely?

Today I'm going to test the same mixture but without any Kava to see if the pain reoccurs. I'll post back here on my findings later.

Last edited:

Mr. Kava

Kava Enthusiast
I agree with awa,
Sounds like you had too much insoluble root fiber in your gut.

I have had similar abdominal pain after drinking Kava. i could always trace it back to using coarse strainer bags( or high speed blending kava prep).

BiomassMan

Haw coarse is your kava bag? It could be you are ingesting too much root material.
The thing is that this stuff is even finer than the K@ I use, and the K@ has never given me any abdominal pain. I tested both by rubbing a bit between my fingers, the Kava is smooth and gives little resistance to my hand, it's essentially the consistency of wheat flour or powdered sugar. With the K@ there is a coarseness to it like paprika and some resistance.

[UPDATE]:
Seems I've spoken of a forbidden plant apparently, the text filter censored it. Well, hopefully you know what I'm talking about, that other plant, that also starts with K, that kava is frequently compared to because they have similar effects.

Last edited:

BiomassMan

Furthermore, I preformed a test yesterday where I didn't mix any kava with my milk/cocoa/sleepytime mixture. I drank both bottles at the same times I did the day prior.
3:30pm 1st fake dose(.5 bottles): No pain
5:30pm 2nd fake dose(.5 bottles): No pain
10:20pm 3rd fake dose (1 bottle): Slight pain in the upper left abdominal, 1-2 on the pain scale, only occurred once or twice for about 30 sec throughout the night. Although I did feel some pressure in the same region, and I still felt the urge to shit like before.
[Please note]: Size is one of those GT's Kombucha bottles.

In conclusion.
The pain was certainly not as bad as before, but why did the pain only occur after drinking an entire bottle of the mixture and not half? I'm going to theorize that it's entirely a stomach related issue. All the ingredients + kava must be too hard on my stomach, as they already cause pain without kava by themselves, the addition of kava only worsens the problem.

The next step will be to take kava by itself with water or milk, and then we'll see how things go.

Last edited:

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Happens to me when I toss and wash or consume more than normal. The sludge/insoluble root fiber occasionally gives me sharp pain, as well.

Lastly, there's a filter on the forum that blocks certain words so the forum doesn't pop up on search engines when people are researching substances other than kava.
K r a t o m. Shh. Don't tell anybody I said the k-word. ;)

exit stage left
@BiomassMan tell you what might help - I just learned about this trick from @tomkrat - mix in a teaspoon of ginger powder in 2-2.5 cups of kava. It makes it taste a lot better and helps with the stomach issues.
Interesting! I have ginger powder, I use it for making tea... I might try adding some ginger powder to the batch I'm making for tonight, because sometimes I get some bloating and GI issues with kava.

Status
Not open for further replies.