What's new

Adjusting the dose to the rate at which tolerance declines during one day of abstinence

Jack3

Kava Enthusiast
Does anyone know how quickly kava tolerance goes away? I drank it 12 days in a row but I took last night off. The night before I took 33.3g KWK Borongoru and got good but not great effect. I’m wondering if the same amount tonight might give me double vision. I’m hoping for more pain relief without the dreaded krunk.

Jack3

Kava Enthusiast
Does anyone know how quickly kava tolerance goes away? I drank it 12 days in a row but I took last night off. The night before I took 33.3g KWK Borongoru and got good but not great effect. I’m wondering if the same amount tonight might give me double vision. I’m hoping for more pain relief without the dreaded krunk.
And I am taking all this unfiltered, by the way.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
And I am taking all this unfiltered, by the way.
You have to play with your recipes and brew amounts. I recommend straining, it's not that hard to do, even if you don't have the right strainer. Use an old t-shirt, you'll still be better off filtering the root from the beverage.

Regardless of prep method, it takes a few months to narrow down your kava routine, take your time, try different strains and don't worry about time off or tolerance or whatnot.

Jack3

Kava Enthusiast
You have to play with your recipes and brew amounts. I recommend straining, it's not that hard to do, even if you don't have the right strainer. Use an old t-shirt, you'll still be better off filtering the root from the beverage.

Regardless of prep method, it takes a few months to narrow down your kava routine, take your time, try different strains and don't worry about time off or tolerance or whatnot.
I suffer chronic fatigue and the effort involved in cleaning up is what gets me. I actually have a proper cloth bag for the purpose. I do like the process of kneading, but it’s the clean up.

I have been drinking kava a few times a year over the course of more than 8 years at this point. With perhaps one exception, I was using kava from kava.com and mostly micronized. I have only recently discovered other varieties and have started to take a more serious interest in the therapeutic qualities of kava, principally, the evidence that it can help treat Epstein-Barr infection—the main source of my ever worsening chronic pain and fatigue.

The discovery that kava root infusions contain glutathione also piqued my interest, but my interest has really grown after seeing that at least one mouse study has concluded that kava can reduce the risk of dementia.

I have very limited funds now and I am unemployed waiting on a disability decision. I’d like to find out what dose of which strains will be best for anxiety/pain and sleep/pain. I also want to find the right dosing schedule to optimize my use of this medicine. How often can I drink kava with full effect as reliably and consistently as possible.

I have had dermopathy before and I would like to avoid that even though it’s relatively minor. I guess I’m doing what many who need meds do, trying to optimize the benefits and minimize the side effects.

Jack3

Kava Enthusiast
I suffer chronic fatigue and the effort involved in cleaning up is what gets me. I actually have a proper cloth bag for the purpose. I do like the process of kneading, but it’s the clean up.

I have been drinking kava a few times a year over the course of more than 8 years at this point. With perhaps one exception, I was using kava from kava.com and mostly micronized. I have only recently discovered other varieties and have started to take a more serious interest in the therapeutic qualities of kava, principally, the evidence that it can help treat Epstein-Barr infection—the main source of my ever worsening chronic pain and fatigue.

The discovery that kava root infusions contain glutathione also piqued my interest, but my interest has really grown after seeing that at least one mouse study has concluded that kava can reduce the risk of dementia.

I have very limited funds now and I am unemployed waiting on a disability decision. I’d like to find out what dose of which strains will be best for anxiety/pain and sleep/pain. I also want to find the right dosing schedule to optimize my use of this medicine. How often can I drink kava with full effect as reliably and consistently as possible.

I have had dermopathy before and I would like to avoid that even though it’s relatively minor. I guess I’m doing what many who need meds do, trying to optimize the benefits and minimize the side effects.
And as affordable as possible.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Maybe you can prepare one larger batch for the whole day and then break it off into smaller shells/serving sizes, throughout the day, that way you do only one cleaning per day.

Generally speaking you be able to avoid dermo, if you strain the grog.

I understand trying to maximize the effect since your financial situation is unstable but you are better off straining, and avoiding side effects.

I think that's your best option.

Jack3

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe you can prepare one larger batch for the whole day and then break it off into smaller shells/serving sizes, throughout the day, that way you do only one cleaning per day.

Generally speaking you be able to avoid dermo, if you strain the grog.

I understand trying to maximize the effect since your financial situation is unstable but you are better off straining, and avoiding side effects.

I think that's your best option.
I’m trying to do the math for whether it’s more cost effective to buy medium grind and strain it or get micronized or instant options. Micronized or instant seem more affordable because straining requires a much larger amount.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I’m trying to do the math for whether it’s more cost effective to buy medium grind and strain it or get micronized or instant options. Micronized or instant seem more affordable because straining requires a much larger amount.
If the price is not a factor, instant kava is the way to go.

Otherwise medium grind is the way, forget micro.