What's new

All in one wash?

simonsezso37

Kava Curious
So, after my grog a few nights ago, I've been wanting to get the most possible kavalactones in one wash. I've been using the traditional method like every other time, but this time I knead and strain for around 20-30 minutes instead of 5-10 minutes per wash. After attempting a second wash, I found the grog to resemble dirty dish water instead of the lovely colored grog I've been used to on my second washes. It is definitely not a muddy color, but rather looks like water that someone used to clean dishes, and one can still through the "grog".

• Can I accurately say that I've been able to get most of the kavalactones in the first wash with this method, and this second wash is now unnecessary?
  • Is this more efficient than doing two washes, or will I be able to maximize my kava by doing two shorter washes like usual?

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
I would say you are probably getting most of the kavalactones out with the first wash if ur kneeding for 30 minutes...
I only use 1 wash as well...and try to kneed untill it feels like the powder has lost its oily touch,so to speek....
But I dnt make big batches since im the only one drinking it lol...so idk, if you were doing BIG batches then maybe a second wash
might be worth it?

Bert07

Me like da kava
I go all out on the first wash and that's the end of it. A good 20+ minute knead I'd say is definitely enough to get what you really want out of your grind. If you're really intense with it, probably even less time is necessary.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I sorta feel like the second wash is experientally better. Kava is not a solution in the technical sense but it still seems like water has a finite capacity for mixing it with.

However, go with what works. If the kava powder is all dry and crumbly when you're done with it, it doesn't really matter what you did.

simonsezso37

Kava Curious
Thanks guys for the responses! It does seem like the kava has lost all of it's oiliness and it is very dry. I understand why a lot of you do, however, do two washes. I had done two washes for a long time, but I figured it would be better to know I have the most kavalactones possible in my grog. Maybe it's just me, but I like my grog nice and saturated with them lactones :);)