What's new

allergic reaction to kava?

Michael1011

Kava Curious
I'm a heavy kava drinker. Lately I've been getting dry skin that occasionally cracks, primarily on my hands. Occasionally the skin opens on the tip of my fingers, like a paper cut. I haven't had what I'd call rash, but I randomly get scratch like cuts on odd parts of my body, like my back, legs, etc. I've been having acne break out on my legs but nowhere else. I don't want to stop but I'll start with cutting back, or maybe even looking into a mellower kava

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I can't imagine you've never heard of kava dermopathy, but have you ever heard of kava dermopathy? What you're describing sounds a lot like kava dermopathy...except for getting random cuts on odd parts of your body, that's probably from the demon that watches you sleep at night. ::evillaugh2::

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I'm a heavy kava drinker. Lately I've been getting dry skin that occasionally cracks, primarily on my hands. Occasionally the skin opens on the tip of my fingers, like a paper cut. I haven't had what I'd call rash, but I randomly get scratch like cuts on odd parts of my body, like my back, legs, etc. I've been having acne break out on my legs but nowhere else. I don't want to stop but I'll start with cutting back, or maybe even looking into a mellower kava
Sounds like dermo to me. When I get it bad, I get those paper cut like cracks that open. I usually get them on my hands or feet though. They take a while to heal and can be quite painful. For me drinking weaker kava doesn't help since I just need to consume more.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Oh 100% dermapothy. The cuts I can relate to, my demon's name was Isa.

Little bleeding rips on my back that look like tiger patterns on the bed sheets. Consequently it finally forced me into wearing shirts to bed. I cut non-nobles out and my dermapothy has gone to completely manageable. I still lotion up every morning, but it's part of the routine now and I don't notice any overarching effects from dermo.

You need some lotions, and to cut back on whatever type of kava you were drinking. That's rough.

Heavy Lotion (for heavy dermo spots)

Light Lotion (for every day/light dermo)

Hand Cream for really rough hands

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I can't imagine you've never heard of kava dermopathy, but have you ever heard of kava dermopathy? What you're describing sounds a lot like kava dermopathy...except for getting random cuts on odd parts of your body, that's probably from the demon that watches you sleep at night. ::evillaugh2::
back ages ago when I would still get dermo, I had a few of those razor/paper cuts from dry skin cracking, hands and feet. In fact, my feet developed a thick crust on the soles, with cracks. When it would get bad in my hands I would apply tons of lotion to sink into the skin then hold them under a lukewarm tap for a couple minutes. It would give me a feeling for 30 - 60 minutes that I didn't have dermo. Not sure exactly why I haven't had dermo in a year or so. I suspect my body just adapted.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
back ages ago when I would still get dermo, I had a few of those razor/paper cuts from dry skin cracking, hands and feet. In fact, my feet developed a thick crust on the soles, with cracks. When it would get bad in my hands I would apply tons of lotion to sink into the skin then hold them under a lukewarm tap for a couple minutes. It would give me a feeling for 30 - 60 minutes that I didn't have dermo. Not sure exactly why I haven't had dermo in a year or so. I suspect my body just adapted.
I've had some splits in my skin from bad dermo too, but they appear within the most raw rashy areas, which for me is typically around my armpits.
OP said his scratches/cuts aren't related to a visible rash, and he also acknowledged getting splits on his hands, which are a commonly affected area by kava. But he went on to say he also is randomly getting scratch-like cuts on odd parts of his body -- well then, there is only one logical explanation for that...and that is obviously:
dermo-demon.png

:angelic

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
well then, there is only one logical explanation for that...and that is obviously:
Sleep paralysis!

For real though, for auditory filler in the house I usually have some sort of demon or ghost show on and almost if not as a rule they perfectly describe their "ghost" which strangely sounds exactly like sleep paralysis in...oh..every single one. "The demon held me down to the bed. I couldn't move. It was so scary. All I could sense is fear". Exactly sleep paralysis.

Either that, or I'm so haunted I've compartmentalized it.

/offtopic :)

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Sleep paralysis!

For real though, for auditory filler in the house I usually have some sort of demon or ghost show on and almost if not as a rule they perfectly describe their "ghost" which strangely sounds exactly like sleep paralysis in...oh..every single one. "The demon held me down to the bed. I couldn't move. It was so scary. All I could sense is fear". Exactly sleep paralysis.

Either that, or I'm so haunted I've compartmentalized it.

/offtopic :)
Sleep Paralysis is definitely responsible for so many of the 'supernatural' or alien abduction experiences that people swear they've experienced. The hypnogogic state can be a frightening and realistic hallucinatory realm and when your eye open before your body has dream imagery and emotion can bleed into your actual visual field. There should be more education about this, especially from a young age, so people will be less apt to believe what they are experience is real.
That being said, in the case of @Michael1011 , he definitely has a sleep demon cutting his body at night and not kava dermopathy. ::frosty::

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Sleep Paralysis is definitely responsible for so many of the 'supernatural' or alien abduction experiences that people swear they've experienced. The hypnogogic state can be a frightening and realistic hallucinatory realm and when your eye open before your body has dream imagery and emotion can bleed into your actual visual field. There should be more education about this, especially from a young age, so people will be less apt to believe what they are experience is real.
That being said, in the case of @Michael1011 , he definitely has a sleep demon cutting his body at night and not kava dermopathy. ::frosty::
they used to call it "the old woman" because people would imagine it was caused by an old woman sitting on your chest, often conveniently the old woman nearby who owns some land and livestock you'd take after falsely accusing her of being a witch. (See also incubus and succubus. An incubus would ink you, on a bus, unlike the succubus)

Basically, we are all hallucinating all the time because we are asleep and dreaming most of the time. It's just that sometimes we are also awake at the same time and using our brains to suppress our knowledge of the fact that we are hallucinating and dreaming all the time. It's what our brain does. That's normal. It is (apparently effortless) coherent consciousness that is abnormal. And takes a lot of effort, sometimes that stress of repressing the hallucinations all the time really gets to us. That's one of the many reasons we need 8 hrs sleep a night and it is better to go to bed early and wake early after 8 hours, like 9pm - 5am or 10pm - 6am for overnight sleeping. Deprive yourself of sleep and the other side takes over fairly quickly.

Thoroughly agree we should tell people the truth so they are better able to handle it, and not freak out when they stumble on the truth. Of course, the truth is pretty darn freaky. Like, e.g. we never fully perceive reality, just one we construct in our heads based on minute sampling (constrained by our sensory limitations, we can't hear what dogs hear or see what bees see) of our environment and we extrapolate inside, put flesh on the skeletal frame of reality we have, based on what we expect to find and usually we're right, except when something out of our experience or expectations is there, which is also usually, by which I mean, it's a mess but it usually doesn't matter, except when it does. So not only is our memory quite unreliable, but also our perception of reality as it is happening has some extreme limitations. A man has to know his limitations. And sometimes we don't need our biases confirmed, quite the opposite.

Last edited: