What's new

Aluballs problem

tutti196

Kava Curious
Hi everyone,

I know killed my 3 aluball after only 3 weeks of using it daily twice. I use 2 balls in a 24 oz alubottle with a plastic head and per session I only fill 12 oz of water and shake hard and I do 1 tbls or 8.5g in each ball no metall balls or anything else just kava and as you see in the picture every time the female part gets those damage. What do I do wrong? And the water is between 20 and 30 °C

Attachments

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Shaking too hard. I tore my first Aluball when they first came out by thrashing it too hard. I had the strainer bag traditional prep mindset going on at the time and thought I really had to give it what for. But you don't need to. Nowadays I use about 6 to 8 ounces of water and lightly shake it for 30 seconds to a minute. And do this for five washes. Easy does it and the Aluballs last several months for me now.

Last edited:

Pecorino

Kava Curious
That's probably the cause. What about the bottle though? Could you show us how the lid looks like from inside?

ProjectK

Kava Enthusiast
I would do one at a time. I shake mine pretty hard and never had a break after almost 2 monthes.

tutti196

Kava Curious
Yeah will try that woth one ball if I have the time but on workdays 2 washes on 1 ball x 2 takes to long for me :) because I Shake 1-2 mins then wait 1 min and shake again wait, drink :p so I do need probably 30 mins for that no time for that on workdays

ProjectK

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah will try that woth one ball if I have the time but on workdays 2 washes on 1 ball x 2 takes to long for me :) because I Shake 1-2 mins then wait 1 min and shake again wait, drink :p so I do need probably 30 mins for that no time for that on workdays
I honestly just run one ball through about 800 mls, shake for 2-3 minutes, rinse and repeat. I get pretty good results with this.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
I originally had issues but was able to circumvent the damage with using multiple balls by shaking side to side instead of up and down. On my first wash I’ll typically shake the Aluballs in the shaker before even adding water. Than I add my water and continue. Haven’t had an issue with damaging the balls or a lack of strength since incorporating this method.

User13789

I have been using the same two balls for over a year. I just use one at a time and transfer the liquid from the first ball wash to a second shaker with the second ball. I think the impact of the balls on each other causes the damage.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
It's most likely the impact between the 2 balls because I have the small model and use only one at a time and only had a screen break once and to do so I had to really slam it in there over a long period of time. The meshes just line up with each other and just the right hit and I can imagine one would be done for.