What's new

Always seem to have underlying sick feeling, even while feeling positive effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Seems like no matter what precautions I take, I simultaneously have both positive effects as well as well as a "sick" type feeling, and it happens all the way from the start to the finish of my kava session. I have tried drinking more water, taking ginger, drinking slowly, but I just can't get rid of this "slightly sick" type feeling every time I drink it.
It does not feel like the typical nausea that kava can induce, because I've actually felt that, but this feels different. I'm not sure I would call it nausea, because I don't actually feel like I'm on the verge of throwing up. I really don't know how to describe it - kind of queasy, unpleasant dizziness, almost feel like I have something like a flu, and if not nauseous, then it feels on the verge of nausea.

The other reason it makes me feel uncomfortable, is because I'm torn whether to keep drinking more, since I do simultaneously feel slight positive effects.
I ask myself, if I have another one, will the positive effects increase, and the sick feeling 'not increase' ?
This experience seems to have been present since I first started drinking kava, but seems to become more pronounced, the longer I drink it (not referring to individual sessions, but overall in life experience of drinking)
And it's quality noble kava, from a reputable vendor, so I don't think that's an issue.
Does this sound like something that anyone else ever experienced ? And the obvious other question, is does anybody know why ?

Last edited:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah.. what food are you eating ?
I always do kava on an empty stomach, or else I feel no effects at all.
I usually wait until I'm done with kava, before I eat anything. Eating food after total completion of kava seems to punctuate the effects.
Could the totally empty stomach be the culprit, and maybe a slight compromise of a small snack during kava be what it takes to
quell the sick feeling, while not taking anything away from the positive effects ?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Just because a kava is noble and from a reputable vendor doesn't mean it is the kava that will work best for you. How many different cultivars/blends have you tried? Kava sometimes gives me side effects and these vary based on the kind of kava I am using, how fine the grind is/prep method, how much sleep I am getting, etc. Sometimes grog can make you groggy. I would experiment with other varieties and, maybe, doses, depending on what your goal is.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Seems like no matter what precautions I take, I simultaneously have both positive effects as well as well as a "sick" type feeling, and it happens all the way from the start to the finish of my kava session. I have tried drinking more water, taking ginger, drinking slowly, but I just can't get rid of this "slightly sick" type feeling every time I drink it. I'm not sure I would call it nausea, because I don't actually feel like I'm on the verge of throwing up. I really don't know how to describe it - kind of queasy, unpleasant dizziness, almost feel like I have something like a flu, and if not nauseous, then it feels on the verge of nausea.

The other reason it makes me feel uncomfortable, is because I'm torn whether to keep drinking more, since I do simultaneously feel slight positive effects.
I ask myself, if I have another one, will the positive effects increase, and the sick feeling 'not increase' ?
This experience seems to have been present since I first started drinking kava, but not as pronounced, but seems to become more pronounced, the longer I drink it (not referring to individual sessions, but overall in life experience of drinking)
It does not feel like the typical nausea that kava can induce, because I've actually felt that, but this feels different. And it's quality noble kava, from a reputable vendor, so I don't think that's an issue.
Does this sound like something that anyone else ever experienced ? And the obvious other question, is does anybody know why ?
does this effect happen regardless of the "dosage" ? If not, one thing you can do is titrate down, or up, or whatever, to find out where precisely that point is reached and always just fly under the radar, occasionally testing to see if you've adapted and can push the envelope.

Kava should feel good, totally good.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I remember one time a person posted awhile ago that he was feeling ill and it turned out he needed a new strainer bag. Since you said that this has been happening since the beginning I doubt that’s it, but just throwing the idea out there.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I always do kava on an empty stomach, or else I feel no effects at all.
I usually wait until I'm done with kava, before I eat anything. Eating food after total completion of kava seems to punctuate the effects.
Could the totally empty stomach be the culprit, and maybe a slight compromise of a small snack during kava be what it takes to
quell the sick feeling, while not taking anything away from the positive effects ?

eat a fatty food like peanuts and see if you still feel sick... yeah taking that empty stomach advise to new levels will make you feel that way more than anything else.. some people can fast longer than others... i cant fast at all.. i quickly run out of resources and my body will try to "eat" kava so to speak and then i will feel sick... because its not what my body is looking for. when you give your self some food with it .. it reduces that greatly. tiny non carbohydrate snacks that have high fat and protein. a little spice obviosuly helps aswell.
even small amounts of stuff like bread and noodles can kill the effects of kava and yet small amounts or even large of spicy protien and fat based foods... which you would have abundance of on an isalnd.. think fish, pig, nuts, coconut alone is packed, and all the wild game on the island... it revolutionized my kava experience... trust me youll find your middle that works for you

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Seems like no matter what precautions I take, I simultaneously have both positive effects as well as well as a "sick" type feeling, and it happens all the way from the start to the finish of my kava session. I have tried drinking more water, taking ginger, drinking slowly, but I just can't get rid of this "slightly sick" type feeling every time I drink it.
It does not feel like the typical nausea that kava can induce, because I've actually felt that, but this feels different. I'm not sure I would call it nausea, because I don't actually feel like I'm on the verge of throwing up. I really don't know how to describe it - kind of queasy, unpleasant dizziness, almost feel like I have something like a flu, and if not nauseous, then it feels on the verge of nausea.

This experience seems to have been present since I first started drinking kava, but seems to become more pronounced, the longer I drink it (not referring to individual sessions, but overall in life experience of drinking)
And it's quality noble kava, from a reputable vendor, so I don't think that's an issue.
I second the recommendation to eat something. It bothers me if my stomach is too empty, and small snacks, especially high fat, may take care of the problem.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Just because a kava is noble and from a reputable vendor doesn't mean it is the kava that will work best for you. How many different cultivars/blends have you tried? Kava sometimes gives me side effects and these vary based on the kind of kava I am using, how fine the grind is/prep method, how much sleep I am getting, etc. Sometimes grog can make you groggy. I would experiment with other varieties and, maybe, doses, depending on what your goal is.
I have basically stuck with the same vendor, plus visits to a local kava lounge.
But I will experiment, like you said, with other sources, and see where that leads.

does this effect happen regardless of the "dosage" ? If not, one thing you can do is titrate down, or up, or whatever, to find out where precisely that point is reached and always just fly under the radar, occasionally testing to see if you've adapted and can push the envelope.
Kava should feel good, totally good.
It usually does start with the first dose and then progress slightly with each dose.
Everyone has offered great suggestions and I appreciate them all.
One other thing I will try and adjust, which I have realized after pondering the situation, is it may be an interaction with some supplements I take.
I usually drink my kava first thing in the morning, since that's when my stomach is most empty. But, there's also supplements that are supposed to be taken on an empty stomach, so for that reason, I also take those first thing in the morning, making that occur immediately before my kava.
So, that possible interaction is something I suspect and will have to play around with.
Thanks again for everyone's valuable input.

Status
Not open for further replies.