What's new

Amazon.com orders

kavalon629

Kava Curious
Hi guys,

I just saw that Amazon.com is shipping the most Kavas listed to Germany as well.
Did anybody try to buy kava this way? I wonder how custom would react…

Kavaclubeu

Kava Vendor
You may have problems with customs ordering this way. Especially if it is coming from outside the European Union

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Oh my bad, someone already asked...

I leave amazon alone, especially because most of the kava on amazon is not available to delivery to Germany. But some very cheap tongan, half the price of EU.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Can someone tell me what the deal is with Kava in Germany?

I'm sure I've read its legal to import and possess but they still stop packages at customs anyway? What's that about, or am I wrong?

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Can someone tell me what the deal is with Kava in Germany?

I'm sure I've read its legal to import and possess but they still stop packages at customs anyway? What's that about, or am I wrong?
A very good question. It isn't a "drug". But it is classified as a medicine which isn't allowed to sell. As long as it is a medicine, labeled as such. The law changed lately. All I know is that it should be legal to buy for private "use", as long as it is some "botanic material", and no medicine, and I guess even as "supplement" it isn't allowed. But it isn't classified as a drug with similar charges. So actually if you don't buy it as medical product or supplement from outside EU, it should be legal to buy and possess. But tell this the people at customs especially if there is "food supplement" written on it.

Interesting on the other hand is the fact, that EU law is above the country law. If kava is legal to be sold as food/drink in any country within EU, then it is legal to buy as a German from the other country. This should be law facts. But when you look for the Netherlands f.e. and things like "Magic truffles", they are allowed there and labeled as food, but as far as I heard, the German law doesn't accept, even though they have to accept due to EU laws.

But I am not 100% sure if my interpretation is right.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
Regarding the EU law and the truffles case https://single-market-economy.ec.eu...-movement-sectors/mutual-recognition-goods_en

Technical rules developed at national level may create unnecessary obstacles to intra-EU trade. The Commission aims to

• guarantee the free movement of goods
  • make sure EU countries accept goods lawfully marketed in another EU country unless very specific conditions are met (these conditions relate to the protection of public safety, health or the environment)
Its the second statement that makes it ok for other eu countries to ban the import of truffles.

Reactions: Pzk