What's new

Amoxiclavin and kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I have taken both at the same time, no problems but I am not a doctor so up to you.

I cut bk a little on the kava, but not by much.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
My research is suggesting that amoxiclavin is associated with liver toxicity, but it looks like it may be genetic like an allergic reaction. I have taken amoxiclavin several times in my life prekava without issue so I know I'm not allergic or genetically predisposed to an issue like this. I wish I could figure out for sure if it's a genetic thing completely or if it's something determined at all environmentally for the liver

violet

Do all things with love
Be sure to keep fluid intake a little higher to flush kidneys. Amoxicillin and clavulanate are both renally excreted, clavulanate hepatic too.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Are you suggesting it will likely be safe as long as I drink lots of water and don't overdo it? How does the hepatic aspect play into the potential for issues in this case? I'm trying to be responsible and I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so demonstrating healthy concern and research without worrying can be difficult, and I really would like to continue drinking kava, if taking only 2 TBS per day was a good idea for safety I would easily be able to adhere to that but that little bit makes all the difference to me

violet

Do all things with love
Not suggesting that it's safe (nor that it isn't) but that if you are going to do it be sure to up the water intake.

Medication induced cholestasis seems to be more a physical issue with the movement of the bile, rather than with the specific metabolic enzyme pathways that we usually concern ourselves with when questioning the concomitant use of other substances with kava.

For that I would be taking things that help with bile flow, like lemon water first thing in the morning, milk thistle, turmeric, gold coin grass, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.