What's new

Kava Preparation Amylase for Traditional Prep

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
Anyone tried or heard of using some amylase in the trad prep grog?

This is why chewing the fresh root was so effective.

Amylase breaks down starch, releasing KLs.

Hmm...

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I don't think amylase is necessarily important, chewing itself should break down cell walls and expose the kava resins to mucosal membranes. Is there a place you can get actual amylase?

verticity

I'm interested in things
I don't think amylase is necessarily important, chewing itself should break down cell walls and expose the kava resins to mucosal membranes. Is there a place you can get actual amylase?
It's used in beer brewing, for example:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/amylase-enzyme-1-lb.html
It could change the starch in kava into sugar, so might change the taste to something sweeter, but I don't think that would help make the kavalactones more bioavailable.

Bwiggy

I like plants
I think it's a great idea. I looked into a while ago. There's an enzyme company based where I live and i called to get a recommendation about which
enzyme to use - they told me and I can't remember now.
I regularly add cayenne pepper to my kava drinks. It is a super food for digestion - meaning it helps break food down and optimize the digestive process.
But I often just take a pinch or two under the tongue - it is generally accepted to be faster and more efficient in the medical world, just harder to dose / less convenient (from what I understand, in the most general way possible and I am no expert at all).

Here's what wikipedia has to say:
Sublingual administration has certain advantages over oral administration. Being more direct, it is often faster,[quantify] and it ensures that the substance will risk degradation only by salivary enzymes before entering the bloodstream, whereas orally administered drugs must survive passage through the hostile environment of the gastrointestinal tract, which risks degrading them, either by stomach acid or bile, or by the many enzymes therein, such as monoamine oxidase (MAO). Furthermore, after absorption from the gastrointestinal tract, such drugs must pass to the liver, where they may be extensively altered; this is known as the first pass effect of drug metabolism. Due to the digestive activity of the stomach and intestines and the solubility of the GI tract, the oral route is unsuitable for certain substances, such as salvinorin A.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
It's used in beer brewing, for example:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/amylase-enzyme-1-lb.html
It could change the starch in kava into sugar, so might change the taste to something sweeter, but I don't think that would help make the kavalactones more bioavailable.
As an aside, if memory servers (I used to home-brew long ago), alpha and beta amylase require temperatures in the 149F - 159F
range. I don't think it will do anything at room temp.

verticity

I'm interested in things
As an aside, if memory servers (I used to home-brew long ago), alpha and beta amylase require temperatures in the 149F - 159F
range. I don't think it will do anything at room temp.
Well, alpha-amylase is what is in human saliva, so it must do something at body temperature, if not room temperature. It looks like it is catalyzed by the presence of chloride anions (e.g. from salt). Now I don't know if the kind of amylase they sell for home brewing is the same kind found in saliva...it might not be.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Wikipedia also mentions that stomach acid stops the amylase from working, though, so you would probably have to add it to warm or hot water during kava prep, unless you want to swish your grog around in your mouth for several minutes to get it up to body temperature..:eek:

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Well, alpha-amylase is what is in human saliva, so it must do something at body temperature, if not room temperature. It looks like it is catalyzed by the presence of chloride anions (e.g. from salt). Now I don't know if the kind of amylase they sell for home brewing is the same kind found in saliva...it might not be.
You can get "stand alone" amylase enzymes (I've never used them), but I was referring to alpha- and beta-amylase present
in malted barley and other malted grains. Those won't do squat until you heat to 149-159F. Lower end temps favor
starch breakdown to simpler sugars, higher temps favor breakdown to more complex sugars. Lower temps favor beta, higher
temps alpha, again, if my memory is correct. I wonder if these temps are required due to some other
action and not just the enzymes themselves?

ANYWAY, it wouldn't affect any kavalactones or absorption, I wouldn't think, just convert the starches
to tasty, tasty sugars.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
You can get "stand alone" amylase enzymes (I've never used them), but I was referring to alpha- and beta-amylase present
in malted barley and other malted grains. Those won't do squat until you heat to 149-159F. Lower end temps favor
starch breakdown to simpler sugars, higher temps favor breakdown to more complex sugars. Lower temps favor beta, higher
temps alpha, again, if my memory is correct. I wonder if these temps are required due to some other
action and not just the enzymes themselves?

ANYWAY, it wouldn't affect any kavalactones or absorption, I wouldn't think, just convert the starches
to tasty, tasty sugars.
I just looked at this product:

Amazon product
It looks really, really interesting! Who's going to go on an amylase adventure?! Probably me, probably soon.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Whered ya get it? How much did you drink? all that jazz. you know the drill lol!
Bula Kava House, first I drank 4 tablespoons in half a cup of water, then I did a second wash. Didn't get much out of it, all I remember is trying to search my body and mind for the effects, and getting hopeful when I started to feel a buzz, but I'm sure it was just placebo. Because I used a pantyhose as the strainer, I think that all the fiber is the cause of my nausea. I'm rehydrating right now in hopes of recovery. The Borogu will not be wasted though because in my experience, tiny doses are effective in causing the opposite of large doses, stimulation and creativity and peacefulness.

EQ

Atman
Bula Kava House, first I drank 4 tablespoons in half a cup of water, then I did a second wash. Didn't get much out of it, all I remember is trying to search my body and mind for the effects, and getting hopeful when I started to feel a buzz, but I'm sure it was just placebo. Because I used a pantyhose as the strainer, I think that all the fiber is the cause of my nausea. I'm rehydrating right now in hopes of recovery. The Borogu will not be wasted though because in my experience, tiny doses are effective in causing the opposite of large doses, stimulation and creativity and peacefulness.
4 Tablespoons to a half cup. 4 Tablespoons to 125mL of water?
Try more water.

The more you gag or suffer while drinking will result in nausea.
Have you been battling the taste @Blinkyrocket ?
Although only conversed about in psychedelic territory I think Set, and Setting should be talked about more with Kava. The more ceremonial or respectful you make your Kava consumption the better it will go down, and the better your experience will be.
@Mrbinx69 Interested in your thought ^
Nausea is not based on Noble or Tudei, and I think most of us here have been sick on Noble, so the root is probably ok.

And sometimes just a little dose is all you need especially if you plan on doing things :D

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
4 Tablespoons to a half cup. 4 Tablespoons to 125mL of water?
Try more water.

The more you gag or suffer while drinking will result in nausea.
Have you been battling the taste @Blinkyrocket ?
Although only conversed about in psychedelic territory I think Set, and Setting should be talked about more with Kava. The more ceremonial or respectful you make your Kava consumption the better it will go down, and the better your experience will be.
@Mrbinx69 Interested in your thought ^
Nausea is not based on Noble or Tudei, and I think most of us here have been sick on Noble, so the root is probably ok.

And sometimes just a little dose is all you need especially if you plan on doing things :D
The taste hasn't necessarily been too bad, and 'Ono gives me absolutely no nausea. With Borogu, nothing happened in regards to anxiety or mood. And I do treat it sort of ceremonially, I usually go sit outside where I know the peace and quiet and the sounds of nature will ease me into the kava experience. Right now I feel strung out and restless, and there's a harsh feeling in my cardiac plexus (or "heart") that makes me feel angry and agitated. 'Ono is my only certified noble so I assume that both my Borogu and Waka are not %100 noble. Then again, 'Ono's Chemotype with high Kavain and yangonin is probably what my body and mind prefer.
Solomons kava will probably suit me better, and the CBD oil I'm getting will combat nausea and possibly result in really effective anxiety relief and whatnot. So I think I've got everything under control. ::evilgeniusz::

Last edited:

EQ

Atman
The taste hasn't necessarily been too bad, and 'Ono gives me absolutely no nausea. With Borogu, nothing happened in regards to anxiety or mood. And I do treat it sort of ceremonially, I usually go sit outside where I know the peace and quiet and the sounds of nature will ease me into the kava experience. I feel strung out and restless, and there's a harsh feeling in my solar plexus (or "heart") that makes me feel angry and agitated. 'Ono is my only certified noble so I assume that both my Borogu and Waka are not %100 noble. Then again, 'Ono's Chemotype with high Kavain and yangonin is probably what my body and mind prefer.
Within yogic spirituality make sure to get rid of that discomfort you feel in your heart area. Are you feeling this discomfort after you drink the Borogu? Or before?
If you feel it try to let go from it. I don't know if you are using Traditional or Micro/Instant's.
If you are kneading try relaxing while doing it but putting good energy into it. It is therapeutic in itself just to prepare it, and why I don't like doing it any other way.
Get you're mind right, your body relaxed, and let the Kava help you stay calm after.
Drink it easy.

There have been other threads we're many of us noticed very little Kava effect when in a bad mood. This is the Set.
Although within Scientific thought it is "placebo" this word should not be allowed to dis empower or undervalue experience, and collective, mutual truth.
I believe purely this is the development of bad Kava experience or lack of effect.

Ono is a great Kava. Nice, and smooth, and like you said maybe you are needing these energetic Kavas. The ono is a creative one so maybe now the Borogu just isn't what you want or need. Things do change so I'd hold it in reserve for awhile. Especially after some more Kava experience you can attune and appreciate some strains you cannot now. This is what I've found throughout my Kava drinking. Some strains just simply won't mix well with you. It sucks because of the money aspect, but I think many here have Kava's that they don't mix well with, and we stick to what we like. It is apart of the learning experience, but not because of tudei, and noble at least directly.

Try an Acetone test as well.

Last edited:

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Within yogic spirituality make sure to get rid of that discomfort you feel in your heart area. Are you feeling this discomfort after you drink the Borogu? Or before?
If you feel it try to let go from it. I don't know if you are using Traditional or Micro/Instant's.
If you are kneading try relaxing while doing it but putting good energy into it. It is therapeutic in itself just to prepare it, and why I don't like doing it any other way.
Get you're mind right, your body relaxed, and let the Kava help you stay calm after.
Drink it easy.

There have been other threads we're many of us noticed very little Kava effect when in a bad mood. This is the Set.
Although within Scientific thought it is "placebo" this word should not be allowed to dis empower or undervalue experience, and collective, mutual truth.
I believe purely this is the development of bad Kava experience or lack of effect.

Ono is a great Kava. Nice, and smooth, and like you said maybe you are needing these energetic Kavas. The ono is a creative one so maybe now the Borogu just isn't what you want or need. Things do change so I'd hold it in reserve for awhile. Especially after some more Kava experience you can attune and appreciate some strains you cannot now. This is what I've found throughout my Kava drinking. Some strains just simply won't mix well with you. It sucks because of the money aspect, but I think many here have Kava's that they don't mix well with, and we stick to what we like. It is apart of the learning experience, but not because of tudei, and noble.
I only have this discomfort after the Borogu, I think the problem is that I don't have good memories with Borogu, but I decided to try it again anyway with a different prep method but it's just no good for me. I actually feel myself get tense and agitated when preparing the kava because my mind starts thinking about the local an aesthetic properties and it starts to feel like my head is going numb but in an entirely unpleasant way. I don't think set and setting is the problem because my set and setting were just as bad with 'Ono as it was with BKH Waka and Borogu but the 'Ono actually changed my mood from bad to good. Idk, there's something about 'Ono that uplifts the spirits, and something about the others that sends them plummeting, so I think it's pharmacological rather than mind set related. Unless, of course, my bad memory influenced my perception in anyway.