What's new

...and another ebay seller: Tongan Kava from Hawaii

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
These guys live in Hawaii and just like any other Tongan group they import kava from where they live and they sell it to the people of Hawaii, mostly the Tongan population but also to others. I have not tried there kava but I would imagine it is a gamble just like it is with any other Tongan or Fijian kava sometimes. There is a chance that it is good quality kava but there is a chance that it is old and maybe even moldy from having a huge stock and not selling it in time, if you notice the bag it is not vacuum sealed, that is the way it comes in from Tonga and Fiji. Also sometimes if they bring in large amounts of kava then they will get the kava treated with Methyl Bromide instead of having it inspected manually and visually, the methyl bromide is something that you will smell right off the bat and it does not smell good and it makes the kava taste bad, I mean bad, not the good kava peppery taste but a chemical taste.
The only way to tell for sure is to ask them if it is treated and then to try a sample. There is a lot of good kava out there but also the bad stuff too, the best way is to try each one till you find a good supplier, I know there prices are tempting sometimes but I have found with a good price come a not so good kava but that is not the rule of thumb. I hope this helps. In fact they never had the 8ounces listed on there auction, I had to email them to ask them and suggest that they put how much kava is for sale in each bag. Aloha.

Chris

Last edited:

ObiWan

May the Brew be with you
Thanks for your explanations! One never knows what he gets, when not buying from a trusted vendor. May problem is that more and more trusted vendors stopped shipping to Germany, because too many packages got confiscated by the customs.

I have a package "100% High Quality Waka Grade" from a known vendor (RealKava). I got it second-hand, which means the bag was already opened when I got it. This is my first time that a Kava smells extremely "chemical". It is hard to explain. Sometimes a new PC power supply smells in a similar way. Or syntetic materials from China.

Do you think this could be Methyl Bromide or molder?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Obiwan, if you smell the chemical smell then it is either the methyl bromide or it could also be the mold, the methyl bromide has more of a chemical smell, the way you describe it, it sounds like the methyl bromide. Aloha.

Chris

ObiWan

May the Brew be with you
I had a second package which was original sealed. I opened it and it smells fine. :hungry:
So I guess the first package became moldry. The powder seemed to be not really dry, see attached image

Attachments

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Yes it does look like it might be the mold you are smelling, the kava does need to be dry, since it was open when you got it I would say that is was the mold. Aloha.

Chris