What's new

Anemia anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
So I have been feeling pretty crappy for some time now and could figure it out. I have had a non stop series of little colds and such all winter, but could never fully get over it. So saw my doc finally and they did some basic blood work. I turned up very anemic and iron deficient, which has never happened to me before. On the plus side, electrolytes and metabolic stuff (liver and kidney) were just great.

Anyway, anemia explains a lot of how I have been this winter. Any thoughts on how kava fits in this picture? I have taken days off of kava here and there, before I know I was anemic, because I thought maybe that was the problem, but it didn’t make a difference in how I felt. I am to start iron right away and we will try to figure out there cause (probably a lady’s problem). Has anyone been through this type of thing as have any thoughts on how kava May help or hurt? I know I should ask the doc and will when I get a chance. Thanks for any input!

schatz

itchin for kava
Just saw your post and thought I should reply. I haven't been on here much lately but thought the need to look and had the energy. I am on the other side of iron, I just found out that I am a Hemotomochrosis carrier, or heterozygote and am an iron loader. This is sometimes called the celtic curse and can lead to the same if not worse issues as anemia. I self diagnosed myself through you and me 23 and a couple blood tests. They don't check for iron on regular metabolic panel since the mid 90's, I guess there was some insurance fraud going on with medicare at the time and iron testing was involved so they just quit including ferriten, TBIC, saturation and serum iron levels. So I went back through my old blood test and saw they were not testing for iron and had that tested. I don't think kava can effect iron levels but I am not a doctor, not saying they are any smarter than the rest of us mortals. I even posted the question a couple weeks ago and received a few replies, but no definitive yes or no. But if it helps you any I have been drinking kava for the last few years now and all through this medical adventure that I have been on the last couple years, and haven't had any effects other than possibly protective of my liver. I quit drinking alcohol a couple three years ago and although I recently found the high iron levels. my liver panel was good. And it seems the first thing that gets affected by iron overloading is the liver. It is usually found at autopsy, and these people were just called alcoholics and deserved what they got. My iron decided to effect my heart possibly as my lipid panels were raised slightly, I can't say for sure scientifically that kava kept it from settling in my liver and causing issues. or the fact that I quit drinking alcohol which definitely would have made it worse. Good luck and look out for yourself because doctors aren't always right nor do they live in our skins and possibly are just too busy with all their patients, I hope I have helped with my info and at least give your post a bump.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Sorry, only just seen this. Hope you get it all sorted.
Thanks. Working on it, was told to take iron and will be trying to sort out why this happened. I think it is the result of a common and straightforward female related issue, possibly combined with a series of other medical issues. Nothing horrible, just everything happened at once. I am thinking the kava has nothing to with any of this.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Do you eat red meat ?
I don’t, though I did try to have some hamburger after I found out about this. I haven’t eaten red meat in about 20 years, and was a total vegetarian for a long time though I now eat chicane, turkey and dabble in bacon. So this was out of left field. Started some iron supplements. Hopefully I’ll feel better soon. I’m just glad it’s not the kava making me feel crappy - I was beginning to wonder.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Just saw your post and thought I should reply. I haven't been on here much lately but thought the need to look and had the energy. I am on the other side of iron, I just found out that I am a Hemotomochrosis carrier, or heterozygote and am an iron loader. This is sometimes called the celtic curse and can lead to the same if not worse issues as anemia. I self diagnosed myself through you and me 23 and a couple blood tests. They don't check for iron on regular metabolic panel since the mid 90's, I guess there was some insurance fraud going on with medicare at the time and iron testing was involved so they just quit including ferriten, TBIC, saturation and serum iron levels. So I went back through my old blood test and saw they were not testing for iron and had that tested. I don't think kava can effect iron levels but I am not a doctor, not saying they are any smarter than the rest of us mortals. I even posted the question a couple weeks ago and received a few replies, but no definitive yes or no. But if it helps you any I have been drinking kava for the last few years now and all through this medical adventure that I have been on the last couple years, and haven't had any effects other than possibly protective of my liver. I quit drinking alcohol a couple three years ago and although I recently found the high iron levels. my liver panel was good. And it seems the first thing that gets affected by iron overloading is the liver. It is usually found at autopsy, and these people were just called alcoholics and deserved what they got. My iron decided to effect my heart possibly as my lipid panels were raised slightly, I can't say for sure scientifically that kava kept it from settling in my liver and causing issues. or the fact that I quit drinking alcohol which definitely would have made it worse. Good luck and look out for yourself because doctors aren't always right nor do they live in our skins and possibly are just too busy with all their patients, I hope I have helped with my info and at least give your post a bump.
I’ve heard of that iron issue - I know someone who had to have blood drawn to reduce the load. I guess it made her feel really fatigued, kind of like being anemic. I think my issue will get resolved. I have noticed some improvement in symptoms since starting the iron supplement and they key will be figuring out the cause so we can prevent it.

schatz

itchin for kava
I’ve heard of that iron issue - I know someone who had to have blood drawn to reduce the load. I guess it made her feel really fatigued, kind of like being anemic. I think my issue will get resolved. I have noticed some improvement in symptoms since starting the iron supplement and they key will be figuring out the cause so we can prevent it.
Thanks, I don,t think I am a real heavy loader at this point, but just showed symptoms at a fairly high level of 278 ferriten. It really did not appear to be that high as 300 is the threshold. But for god or bad I was having symptoms the docs could not put a finger on. if I were you I would try to eat a very high iron diet, raw oysters, clams, red meat, etc. and also take a lot of vit c, as it seems to improve absorption of iron. And also avoid drinking tea or coffee with meals as it may decrease your absorption of iron. Good luck. and hope the cause is just lack of knowledge on iron absorption and diet.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I dont think it was a coincidence that your iron levels are low, hemoglobin, the red blood cell manufacturer which requires b12. And you just so happen to answer that indeed you havent eaten red meat in 20 years. i too recommend eating red meat and it has the iron in it already too.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks, I don,t think I am a real heavy loader at this point, but just showed symptoms at a fairly high level of 278 ferriten. It really did not appear to be that high as 300 is the threshold. But for god or bad I was having symptoms the docs could not put a finger on. if I were you I would try to eat a very high iron diet, raw oysters, clams, red meat, etc. and also take a lot of vit c, as it seems to improve absorption of iron. And also avoid drinking tea or coffee with meals as it may decrease your absorption of iron. Good luck. and hope the cause is just lack of knowledge on iron absorption and diet.
By way of comparison, my ferritin was 3. Yes, 3. I am not making that up. That is not a typo. Hopefully it is coming up now that I am supplementing.

You also listed a bunch of foods I can’t stand. Lol. I really did try to eat some red , but had to drown it in stuff. Not sure I can get over that.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
I dont think it was a coincidence that your iron levels are low, hemoglobin, the red blood cell manufacturer which requires b12. And you just so happen to answer that indeed you havent eaten red meat in 20 years. i too recommend eating red meat and it has the iron in it already too.
I am trying with the red meat. It is a bit difficult for me - it tastes too meaty for me. I also am supplementing with some b12 in addition to iton. I know it’s better to get stuff from diet, but sometimes supplements are a good back up. I do think I perking up a bit the last few days.

schatz

itchin for kava
I am trying with the red meat. It is a bit difficult for me - it tastes too meaty for me. I also am supplementing with some b12 in addition to iton. I know it’s better to get stuff from diet, but sometimes supplements are a good back up. I do think I perking up a bit the last few days.
I don't think supplements or real food matter that much when it comes to iron. Iron is iron and the only way we lose it is through blood letting or bleeding. I guess 1000 years ago one of my ancestors inherited these copies of mutated genes to enable them to absorb more iron from iron scarce diet and lived to produce offspring. Those offspring were very successful with the iron strategy. But fast forward to today with everything being iron fortified and meat more available and we may run into a problem with too much iron. And it can really reek some havoc in the body. So everybody should get their iron levels checked periodically during their lifetime as it is the most common genetic mutation on the planet and can due us some real harm if not kept in check. Good luck Rapunzel and don't worry about eating red meat.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I don’t, though I did try to have some hamburger after I found out about this. I haven’t eaten red meat in about 20 years, and was a total vegetarian for a long time though I now eat chicane, turkey and dabble in bacon. So this was out of left field. Started some iron supplements. Hopefully I’ll feel better soon. I’m just glad it’s not the kava making me feel crappy - I was beginning to wonder.
My girlfriend in high school was a vegetarian and she had to deal with this too.

(Though, come to think of it, I did introduce her to kava; way back in the late 90's when I could get a pound for 30 dollars from Kava Kauai; or a kilo for 30 dollars from ebay)

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I was anemic for months due to massive blood loss after a botched surgery. Chopped liver everyday brought up my hemoglobin way faster then iron pills did. I ate a lot of it though, its not exactly recommended but I felt fine. Doctor didn't seem concerned until he saw my cholesterol was sky high, told me to stop, turns out it wasn't that and it continued to go up. Genetics. Now its as low risk as you can be. Thank god for medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.