What's new

Another post on anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
so my anxiety has been through the roof the last several months. Job change, having trouble with new job (which I love in many ways), but feeling very incompetent and like I’m blowing it.

I have had GAD for ages and it can flare up, and it has flared up big time now. I had hoped kava would keep it under control, but the anxiety is breaking through big time. I take an ssri and occasional Ativan. Doc prescribed buspar to see if that would help, but I still need a few more weeks of that to see if will help. Meanwhile, I am having very physical symptoms of my anxiety. Not a full blown panic attack, but very close to it.

Not sure where I am going with this, but any thoughts on getting kava to work here? I tend to like heavy ones. It seems to help short term, but I still turn to my meds. I seriously need to get a grip!! Suggestions appreciated and bula!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
so my anxiety has been through the roof the last several months. Job change, having trouble with new job (which I love in many ways), but feeling very incompetent and like I’m blowing it.

I have had GAD for ages and it can flare up, and it has flared up big time now. I had hoped kava would keep it under control, but the anxiety is breaking through big time. I take an ssri and occasional Ativan. Doc prescribed buspar to see if that would help, but I still need a few more weeks of that to see if will help. Meanwhile, I am having very physical symptoms of my anxiety. Not a full blown panic attack, but very close to it.

Not sure where I am going with this, but any thoughts on getting kava to work here? I tend to like heavy ones. It seems to help short term, but I still turn to my meds. I seriously need to get a grip!! Suggestions appreciated and bula!
I can relate 100%, I am going through a lot of things at once now and like you I have/had GAD with Panic Attack disorder (though it has been several years since I had a panic attack). I am not taking any medications but have a Valium bkup that I use on super high stress situations for me, like flying. I don't use it daily like I used to.

Interestingly enough, I've cut back on my kava consumption to weekends, I do drink a 1/2 pound in 2 days or less though. This is not my advice to you but rather my experience. I've noticed that adhering to a strict schedule also is helping me keep things in perspective, I don't think there is a right kava or dosage per se and for me, drinking kava everyday was hurting me more then helping me, as it used to in the beginning, hence waiting until the weekends. I am also making an effort to take better care of myself, diet and exercise wise (although that's a struggle :p) and taking more me time to reflect on things I want to change and then writing it down. There is something to be said about putting your thoughts on paper, this is something I have heard about but never practiced till recently. All these things help me keep my anxiety in check.

I still lose my shit now and again, but i am getting better at regaining my composure and self back faster, if that makes any sense.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks - glad you are keeping it together most of the time. I just hate the physical sensations I get, and I further hate it that a benzo is usually the only way I can really get rid of it. I can go a few weeks without using any, but if I have attacks during a prolonged high stress situation, then I blow through my limited supply, and then I get additional anxiety about running out.

I am trying to work on some of the lifestyle issues, like you mentioned. That does help, but I can’t ever get rid of it.

How was drinking kava everyday hurting? Just curious since I keep hoping that kava, or at least the right ones e.g heavier for me, would help with this problem more. I have it most days and enjoy it at the time, but it doesn’t seem to get at this problem. Not sure it hurts though.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I am trying to work on some of the lifestyle issues, like you mentioned. That does help, but I can’t ever get rid of it.
Yeah, I am finding out that addressing what causes me anxieties in the first place helps get to the root of the problem, no pun intended. I have a therapist I see twice a month, it's nice to talk to someone, it can be anyone.
How was drinking kava everyday hurting? Just curious since I keep hoping that kava, or at least the right ones e.g heavier for me, would help with this problem more. I have it most days and enjoy it at the time, but it doesn’t seem to get at this problem. Not sure it hurts though.
It was great the first two years, I drank it almost every single day, kava was also cheaper those first 2 years. It mostly made lazier so I had to dial it back so it would be effective for me.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah, I am finding out that addressing what causes me anxieties in the first place helps get to the root of the problem, no pun intended. I have a therapist I see twice a month, it's nice to talk to someone, it can be anyone.

It was great the first two years, I drank it almost every single day, kava was also cheaper those first 2 years. It mostly made lazier so I had to dial it back so it would be effective for me.
Thanks. Nice to know I’m not the only one out there with this run away anxiety. It flares up when I m under stress, big time. I have seen a therapist in the past. He said the anxiety and stress is like someone with asthma in a smoky room. - it just sets it off. I have about four major stressors at the moment, so it’s relentless.

I do enjoy my kava most evenings. It can take the edge off, but doesn’t get rid of it. Mostly I just try to enjoy kava for what it is.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Physical anxiety is a different beast than normal future based anxiety.
Kava does work well once it starts if you use a large dose all at once and stay hydrated.

Magnesium though is a huge component of physical relaxation and deficiencies can cause anxiety attacks along with hundreds of other problems and symptoms since it is connected to over 300 physiological functions in the body.
Things that deplete magnesium are the same things that typically cause anxiety such as high carb / sugar diets. Alcohol. Any muscle relaxing drugs since magnesium is used by the brain to send the message of relaxation to the muscles. Diuretics also deplete the magnesium in the body. So keepin up on it is essential. B vitamins are nourishing as well to the nerves and also depleted by the same things
.. these together are essential along with adequate amino acids from protein

Status
Not open for further replies.