What's new

Antihistamines and dermo?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Well, looks like I am getting hit with round two of dermo (that lastest batch of Kava Bati was just too good not to drink twice a day). I am wondering if anyone has observed if taking antihistamines internally has any effect on dermo. I can definitely say that showering less was holding it in check temporarily; but I can't do that forever. (Yes, I am eating coconut oil and have Amalytcin on hand.) Anyway, its such a mysterious side effect that I was wondering if anyone has noticed any definite effect from antihistamines (taken internally), particularly something 2nd generation that can be taken during the day.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Fwiw basically all dermo, and for me it was minor, dry hands, scaly heel, occasional sties, pixie dust in my black panties, all disappeared since I started drink all my grog through a cheap bombilla, which I find works even better than the best expensive bombilla.

violet

Do all things with love
Antihistamines never helped the dermo itself but did make the itching a little more bearable. Unless you know you are good start cautiously with the Amlactin. It causes pain and increases irritation if dermo has any raw spots, which you may not discover until you slather it on.

The only antihistamine that helped a skin issue for me was the newest generation of cetirizine, Xyzal. But this was an actual immune reaction I was having to food I later discovered I was allergic to. Never tried it for dermo.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I tried a daily 2nd generation antihistamine during my last dermo. Didn't seem to make much difference, really. Staying hydrated and moisturized works for me. Always drink enough water so that your pee is clear. Take a hot bath or a sauna, then rub yourself down with coconut oil, lanolin or cocoa butter right away, and let it soak in.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
@Krunkie McKrunkface , note to never buy a black bra either. Whoops!

Cetrizine helps my hands quite a bit. After a certain point, by body just got over the dermo really. Still get the skin flakes but nothing serious anymore. Some days I slack off on the water and then I have a hydration issue. Antihistamines never helped me. Just dried me out more.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I tried a daily 2nd generation antihistamine during my last dermo. Didn't seem to make much difference, really. Staying hydrated and moisturized works for me. Always drink enough water so that your pee is clear. Take a hot bath or a sauna, then rub yourself down with coconut oil, lanolin or cocoa butter right away, and let it soak in.
Yeah, I was trying to control it by showering less :angelic, but you can't do that forever; and I've noticed now that if I don't cover myself in coconut oil right after a shower my skin (esp. near my armpits) starts to burn.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Well, looks like I am getting hit with round two of dermo (that lastest batch of Kava Bati was just too good not to drink twice a day). I am wondering if anyone has observed if taking antihistamines internally has any effect on dermo. I can definitely say that showering less was holding it in check temporarily; but I can't do that forever. (Yes, I am eating coconut oil and have Amalytcin on hand.) Anyway, its such a mysterious side effect that I was wondering if anyone has noticed any definite effect from antihistamines (taken internally), particularly something 2nd generation that can be taken during the day.
I would worry that many antihistamines really dry you out, and could make the situation worse. Though I have not had the pleasure of dermo yet, so I don’t know what you are experiencing.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I would worry that many antihistamines really dry you out, and could make the situation worse. Though I have not had the pleasure of dermo yet, so I don’t know what you are experiencing.
Yeah, I guess that's true. Though, I don't think the 2nd generation are nearly as bad as the first (or that they work as well).
I've definitely found that coconut oil after showering prevents the intense drying and minor burning that usually ensues. So far I've been holding off on amalyctin because it seemed to dissolve the calluses from my hands last time. I want the calluses to STAY on my hands!

Last edited: