What's new

Anyone get headaches from the 11-year ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Be sure to see update at bottom...This is unusual, because I rarely ever get headaches, and I never get headaches from kava, but the moment I tried the 11-year, I got a bad headache that actually progressed worse. So due to the unique timing, I couldn't help but think it was from this type of kava. I've tried a variety of different kavas and never had this happen.
Has it happened to anyone else, or is there a theoretical reason on why it happened ? And is there any way I can still take the 11-year, and find a way to thwart that side-effect ?
I'm really hesitant to try it again, until I can find answers to these questions.

UPDATE : Shortly after the headache started, I then began to be very nauseous. And later, that nausea came to fruition, and I actually vomited.
Is it possible I could have gotten a really bad batch ?

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Be sure to see update at bottom...This is unusual, because I rarely ever get headaches, and I never get headaches from kava, but the moment I tried the 11-year, I got a bad headache that actually progressed worse. So due to the unique timing, I couldn't help but think it was from this type of kava. I've tried a variety of different kavas and never had this happen.
Has it happened to anyone else, or is there a theoretical reason on why it happened ? And is there any way I can still take the 11-year, and find a way to thwart that side-effect ?
I'm really hesitant to try it again, until I can find answers to these questions.

UPDATE : Shortly after the headache started, I then began to be very nauseous. And later, that nausea came to fruition, and I actually vomited.
Is it possible I could have gotten a really bad batch ?
Have you had microgrind before? It can be strong and very dehydrating if you are not used to it or use too much.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
No, first time ever using microgrind.
Should I sip a little at a time ?
Or drink a small total amount each session ?
How much did you use?
I still chugged it all down at once, but for a point of reference I at most would take ~2-3TBS all at once in 8oz of water and it would ring my bell for 4-5 hours. Now I typically use 4-8TBS of traditionally prepared medium grind kava and it still doesn't hit me as hard as the microgind did.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
How much did you use?
I still chugged it all down at once, but for a point of reference I at most would take ~2-3TBS all at once in 8oz of water and it would ring my bell for 4-5 hours. Now I typically use 4-8TBS of traditionally prepared medium grind kava and it still doesn't hit me as hard as the microgind did.
I took 2 Tablespoons and put it in a shaker bottle with about 12-16 oz of water, and shook it up about 30 seconds.
(Similar to the Aluball, except without the ball)
I actually sipped it slowly, and only finished about half of it, because the headache was so bad.

So, since you said dehydration was an issue and one possible cause, you think it would help to drink good size glass of water beforehand, and during ?
Also, as a last resort, I guess I could prepare it in the Aluball, which would of course filter it down a bit ? But hopefully it wouldn't go the other extreme
and make it a lot weaker, due to the filter screens.

And thanks very much for your helpfulness !

ProjectK

Kava Enthusiast
I used to exclusively use microgrinds. The 11 year is one of the best when it comes to micros.

They are great for the most part, but I constantly got gastro problems. Not so much headaches.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I've never had a headache that seemed to be immediately related to the kava I've just consumed...and I've had it all. But, while that seems to be true for me, it might not be true for others, considering our varying genetic differences and the number of different constituents within kava roots.

I may have had next day headaches from certain kava nights, but I can't even recall a particular one -- whereas with alcohol, I have memories of the bad times that gave me notable excruciating headaches. (day after)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I took 2 Tablespoons and put it in a shaker bottle with about 12-16 oz of water, and shook it up about 30 seconds.
(Similar to the Aluball, except without the ball)
I actually sipped it slowly, and only finished about half of it, because the headache was so bad.

So, since you said dehydration was an issue and one possible cause, you think it would help to drink good size glass of water beforehand, and during ?
Also, as a last resort, I guess I could prepare it in the Aluball, which would of course filter it down a bit ? But hopefully it wouldn't go the other extreme
and make it a lot weaker, due to the filter screens.

And thanks very much for your helpfulness !
That seems pretty reasonable. Maybe you were dehydrated before taking it. I like to make my kava strong with a pretty high root to water ratio, but I do try and drink a lot of water during the day, and after I drink my kava. Once your feeling better maybe back off to 1TBS at a time and see how you feel after taking it. Remember you can always have more shells.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
That seems pretty reasonable. Maybe you were dehydrated before taking it. I like to make my kava strong with a pretty high root to water ratio, but I do try and drink a lot of water during the day, and after I drink my kava. Once your feeling better maybe back off to 1TBS at a time and see how you feel after taking it. Remember you can always have more shells.
Good news. Just tried it a second time, and no vomiting, no headache, and no negative side effects.
Things I did differently : added unsweetened cocoa powder and stevia, and drank some water beforehand.
But it was probably the water that made the difference. Thanks @Zaphod and everyone else for the feedback.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
I got headaches, nausea, fever and chills after a few days of taking this. I find it really strong and really dehydrating. You have to drink a ton of water to avoid the side effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaitingForGrogot

Kava Curious
Yep, exact same thing happened to me first time I tired micro, I thought it was the brand (KWK Pouni Ono) but it's just the nature of micro: when I got used to it I was fine. To be extra sure that's it's not going to cause unpleasant effects you can filter it through a 75 micron nylon bag. I don't really find this necessary anymore as I use a little micro in conjunction with med grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.