What's new

Anyone have breathing problems after taking kava?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not new to taking kava and have been doing so for about 10 years, but lately I noticed that it seems to irritate my esophagus which gives me a persistent cough and give me some sort of breathing problems. My breathing is a bit strained after taking it (though not wheezing), however these weird side effects go away after I avoid kava for a while. I do know the problems arent from the relaxed heartbeat that comes from ingesting a relaxing substance. Anyone else have that problem? I usually take six tablespoons of Vanuatu variety of kava about four times a week. I use it recreationally and not for any medical purpose except to occasionally regulate my sleep.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I've heard about breathing problems from extremely high doses, particularly shortness of breath. That's one of the things they found in Arnhem Land in northern OZ where people went berserk on the stuff.

Your consumption level doesn't approach anything like that so maybe it's an allergic reaction, as dermo seems to be? Does it happen with different types of kava?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'm not new to taking kava and have been doing so for about 10 years, but lately I noticed that it seems to irritate my esophagus which gives me a persistent cough and give me some sort of breathing problems. My breathing is a bit strained after taking it (though not wheezing), however these weird side effects go away after I avoid kava for a while. I do know the problems arent from the relaxed heartbeat that comes from ingesting a relaxing substance. Anyone else have that problem? I usually take six tablespoons of Vanuatu variety of kava about four times a week. I use it recreationally and not for any medical purpose except to occasionally regulate my sleep.
To a certain extent I can relate, I have sleep apnea and when I drink too much kava and pass out with the shaker in my hand (like last night) I notice it, I'm guessing it's mainly because I don't have my mask on.

violet

Do all things with love
I too can relate. When I'm having a flare up I sometimes get symptoms where I feel breathless, like I can't get enough oxygen despite breathing just fine. Sometimes coughing fits are part of it. During a flare kava tends to really jack up these awful breathing symptoms.

Another consideration would be reflux, especially silent reflux if you don't have outright symptoms like heartburn. Reflux can cause esophageal irritation. It's not totally uncommon with GERD to aspirate on stomach acid while sleeping/reclined, which can cause horrible coughing fits and sometimes wheezing which can often be mistaken for athsma or breathing issues.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I get this as well from medium doses of kava. An inhaler seems to help. I'm not sure if it's an actual breathing issue or some strange psychosomatic thing that happens because I'm relaxed. If that makes any sense at all. I do have mild asthma.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
The fact you specifically mention esophageal irritation is key here. You can feel a lot of strange things in the chest that can cause the feeling of breathing problems that are just stomach problems tricking you. And Kava is known for it's gastrointestinal problems so that may be whats going on.

On the other hand, I have been having strange breathing problems, heavy chest feeling, just general discomfort but I am KNOWN for hardcore pscyhosomatic problems and major health anxiety. I could connect a pain in my leg to Kava if I wanted to. I was having problems before Kava but just seeing this thread makes me scared to do Kava tonight as if I won't be able to breathe as my anxiety is that bad :/

If theirs anything I notice with this forum is that there are many people with deep psychological issues (myself included) that can respond in all different ways to Kava as it's quite a light drug. There's not many drugs you can feel decently "krunk" yet if their was a fire believe me you'd be able to escape. It's just not on the benzo level of sedation and thought changes and that's a good thing, but it also means its light enough to where you can walk yourself into situations and go BUT I WAS ON KAVA...

Example: Last night I had a rapid heart rate situation. My HR was higher than usual and I FLOODED my body with adrenaline out of panic so I totally ruined my Kava session. I could still feel it trying to work. Nice body effects. But it just can't KILL the anxiety like a benzo would of in that situation. It's just not that potent and people with psychosomatic problems and general anxiety problems can totally go off the rails. I could make a thread about rapid heart rate on this forum and then everyone will go oh you know what that does happen to me and then before you know it RHR is linked to Kava when really.. it's a general symptom of Anxiety.. which people drinking Kava use to treat.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I don't know if others experience this but I find when I am krunk, as long as I haven't overdosed, like with double vision and such, I can pretty much open or close the spigot on the kava coursing through me and dekrunk if I need to and poof, the krunk is gone. Maybe not enough for driving/heavy machinery, but for pretty much anything else, especially the mental clarity thing.

OTOH, I have recently found I can push the boundary of the krunk right up to that double vision point and sort of hover on the brink of it but with me in total control. Not a good game, to be sure, but it was interesting to find out I could do that, opening and closing the spigot right to that point, then pulling back. I didn't know one could do that till I stumbled on it. I'm guessing this control comes in part from having removed alcohol from the equation completely many weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.