What's new

Anyone use a Vitamix blender to blend their kava before kneading?

lird12

lird
I find I only need to squeeze the kava juice out after using one to get a nice and potent bubbly brew.

infraredz

BULA!
I only use a blender (not sure what a vitamix is, I just have a normal blender).

I used to knead for 10+ minutes, and I sometimes do use the rolling pin method but blending 6mins in 2min intervals always gives me more than enough potency-wise. Granted, it's probably 80% of kneading but the convenience and lack of mess makes up for it.

lird12

lird
Yeah man totally. A Vitamix is basically a restaurant quality blender.. pretty expensive and powerful. I find that when I pour the blended solution into a Fijan strainer, the liquid is already very brown and thick thus not having to strain much at all. It's way more convenient, I don't dread making a bowl of kava anymore because of sore hands!

kavalover

Outsider
Never used a vitamix blender, but I've sworn by the blend + knead method for a while now. Most potent kava I've ever made has been by blending a few minutes before a good knead and squeeze. My theory is that it not only pre-soaks the root very quickly (making it easier to knead) but also reduces the bigger chunks of root thus allowing more "grit" to get into the final grog. Thus more kavalactones and much more happiness.

violet

Do all things with love
I use a vitamix. I found it pulverizes the root too much if I run it on high, makes it very difficult to squeeze. I've been having great results with a short soak, then I run it on low for 5 minutes or so, soak again, another 5, then soak and blend another time. I knead and squeeze and re-wet several times afterwards. My root ends up pretty dry, and the 2nd washes I've tried making after blending like this always end up like gross water with no kava benefits.

lird12

lird
Yeah, I use it on high for about 45 seconds then do a strain. How long would you be running it on high when you got too much pulverized root? I always mix mine with pulply coconut water as an emulsifier to bring out more kavalactones. I've only been getting great results!

violet

Do all things with love
Probably less than one minute. I use hot water and a very healthy splash of heavy whipping cream. Every now and then I've added some lecithin, but it has never seemed to make a difference. I think the cream helps pull out the lactones, and it definitely makes the kava go down easier!

Bert07

Me like da kava
Does it really make that big of a difference to blend beforehand? I can't imagine my grog getting any more stronger than it already is and this is with only using the good ol' traditional way.

violet

Do all things with love
I had thought that it might, but my brew has been just as strong lately when I knead the traditional way.

kavalover

Outsider
Depends entirely on what grind of kava you're drinking. There would be practically no difference with a fine or microgrind, but say, a very root chip grind like chief's jungle... blending would definitely make a difference.

lird12

lird
Oh that's interesting. Yeah I mainly blend just so I don't have to strain as much and it's easier. I find that it makes a potent grog without much effort. I'll have to try alittle whipped cream, probably tastes good!

violet

Do all things with love
lird12 said:
I'll have to try alittle whipped cream, probably tastes good!
Hehe, whipping cream :D. I'm not sure "whipped cream" would be heavy or fatty enough, unless you whipped it yourself. I find that full fat half n' half is pretty effective too.

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
Typically, I've been using an old Vitamix 3600 + kneading, straining thru a Fiji Strainer bag. A couple of minutes blending w/ pulses followed by 5 minutes+ of bag work.
Am now wondering if that's overkill. Skipped Vitamix tonight (noise) and went purely by hand. Lovely, lovely result. The only thing different was that I used coconut water instead of filtered water.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
In my experience guys, one or the other is enough. You can blend it and just run it through a strainer once, or you can knead the crap out of it. Both will produce pretty good kava. Eventually (around 10 minutes of agitating the kava in my experience) you will run into a point of diminishing returns.

violet

Do all things with love
For anyone that might be using a Vitamix for their kava... I thought I'd killed mine today. I've been using the vitamix with a little kneading for 2nd washes, running it on low. Today, it just shut down on me while mixing my batch, I guess the motor got too hot (to give credit to the machine, I did get somewhat distracted while it was running, probably let it go for about 15 minutes). It has seen some very heavy usage, especially in these last several years, and the thing is at least 12 years old; this is the first time it has ever shut down. A quick call to customer service reassured me that my model does indeed have an automatic shut-off mechanism. The information that was interesting for me to find out is that the vitamix runs best on high speed, running it on low or any of the variable speeds causes the motor to generate the most heat (makes sense to me now). So from here on out, I'll be running it on high in intervals for blending my kava.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
My kava blending experiences were never good, nastier kava, less effects, and horrid dermopathy I'd never normally acquire, and yes, I did strain the blended kava.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk