What's new

Asking for a good source for Solomon Islands kava ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Had some good kava in a lounge, and they get it from Solomon Islands, so I wanted to try to get my own.
But I don't see it talked about much here.
I believe I read somewhere that there's no such thing as kava that originates in Solomon Islands, but it's shipped in, similar to what mainland US does. Is that true ?
Even if true, I'd still like to get my hands on some kava with the Solomon name on it, to try to eventually duplicate the experience I had at that lounge.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Root of happiness has Solomon island kava. Its the only one I know of.
Okay I saw one at Nakamal, but didn't know that Root of Happiness had it. And ROH has a higher rating on the Reference Guide than Nakamal, so I will try them. Thanks !

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
N@H has had it, RoH has it.
KavaDepot is a whole sale supplier, who most likely supplies the kava bars that use it...and possibly online vendors too.

Solomon kava is supposed to be clones of Borogu and Melo Melo that were brought over from Vanuatu.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Okay I saw one at Nakamal, but didn't know that Root of Happiness had it. And ROH has a higher rating on the Reference Guide than Nakamal, so I will try them. Thanks !
I say try both and give us some reviews and comparisons ::awesomesmiles::

N@H Solomon was strong in the past but probably less strong now. It's been a long time since I've bought it. The RoH Solomon is pretty good and heavy leaning.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Had some good kava in a lounge, and they get it from Solomon Islands, so I wanted to try to get my own.
But I don't see it talked about much here.
I believe I read somewhere that there's no such thing as kava that originates in Solomon Islands, but it's shipped in, similar to what mainland US does. Is that true ?
Even if true, I'd still like to get my hands on some kava with the Solomon name on it, to try to eventually duplicate the experience I had at that lounge.
RoH sells a kava from the Solomon Islands, and Canopy Botanicals sells one called Solomon Gold. Both are very different in taste and I enjoy both, they're nice. Nothing terribly distinctive about either, good balanced heavyish stuff, with strong flavour. The flavour is comparable to a good Vanuatu with Tongan hints, while the effects are more like a heavy Fijian waka.

I do recall rumours last year that the RoH Solomoan had tudei in it but IMO that's bs. It's just heavyish.

Last edited:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I do recall rumours last year that the RoH Samoan had tudei in it but IMO that's bs. It's just heavyish.
I think you mean the Solomon. GS frequently claimed that whatever Solomon was sold had to be tudei. They didn't seem to do much development of p methysticum so their handful of cultivars lean toward the direction of ISA/tudei but like shakas said they did import some noble varieties from Vanuatu.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I think you mean the Solomon. GS frequently claimed that whatever Solomon was sold had to be tudei. They didn't seem to do much development of p methysticum so their handful of cultivars lean toward the direction of ISA/tudei but like shakas said they did import some noble varieties from Vanuatu.
Du habst recht. Ich habbe ein grosse Brainfahrt gemacht.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks everyone. Will review and report back.

By the way, does anyone know what city or state that RoH ships from ? Just tryin to get an idea how long it will take to get to me.

Last edited:

readyman

Kava Enthusiast
hey gang right now secound shell of solomons kava from nakalahome very heady good euphoria maybe the best for that feeling ive tried at least for the moment its all good

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
RoH sells a kava from the Solomon Islands, and Canopy Botanicals sells one called Solomon Gold. Both are very different in taste and I enjoy both, they're nice. Nothing terribly distinctive about either, good balanced heavyish stuff, with strong flavour. The flavour is comparable to a good Vanuatu with Tongan hints, while the effects are more like a heavy Fijian waka.
I do recall rumours last year that the RoH Solomoan had tudei in it but IMO that's bs. It's just heavyish.
+1 vote for Root of Happiness. I think Bula Kava House may have some occasionally too?
I read in these 2 threads a lot of unfavorable opinions and experiences with RoH
So you guys have not had a bad experience with RoH ?

http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/root-of-happiness.14607/

http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/root-of-happiness-samoan-kava.11588/

Last edited:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I haven't tried all of their products but the ones I've tried haven't been bad nor anything spectacular. The Solomon and the PNG ISA seem to be alright for what they are. The instant is the heaviest I have probably ever had (no head buzz though) and the extract pills are stronger than the Gaia extract capsules. The tincture appears to be the best kava tincture that I have ever bought. It has a similar feel and taste of the CO2 extracts I've had, only liquid.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I read in these 2 threads a lot of unfavorable opinions and experiences with RoH

I think from RoH I've only bought their Solomon and Samoan grinds and their Polynesian Gold CO2 extract and another extract that was much milder in strength but has an exquisite lemon-honey taste. All of them, to be honest, are either very good or excellent. I've bought from them several times, directly and with Amazon Prime. Service was always excellent. And they have the best looking website in the kava world. Slick, but good. Very professional. There may be many other things I do not know, however. My experience is limited to what I have told you.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

I've tried most of their kavas and found them all good. The instant is my favourite instant ever and I liked the Tongan. They're another vendor who got maligned because of their support for K@ even though they were selling good kava.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone in the thread for your most useful help.
As promised, I came back for a semi-review. I call it semi, because it will be brief, as I'm not real good at giving large, elaborate reviews.
It's also "semi" because thus far, I have only tried one of the 2 vendors mentioned for the Solomon's kava.
So, I got the RoH, and I was pleased.
It was actually the opposite "type" than described, but for me personally, that was a good thing.
What I mean is, it was described as being a "body" relaxer, however for me, it was more of a "heady" relaxer.
And that is what I was looking for, so that was a good thing.
Thanks again to the whole community.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thanks to everyone in the thread for your most useful help.
As promised, I came back for a semi-review. I call it semi, because it will be brief, as I'm not real good at giving large, elaborate reviews.
It's also "semi" because thus far, I have only tried one of the 2 vendors mentioned for the Solomon's kava.
So, I got the RoH, and I was pleased.
It was actually the opposite "type" than described, but for me personally, that was a good thing.
What I mean is, it was described as being a "body" relaxer, however for me, it was more of a "heady" relaxer.
And that is what I was looking for, so that was a good thing.
Thanks again to the whole community.
I love a happy ending