What's new

At home prep difficulties...

LyndaKaye

Kava Curious
Hey guys, thank you upfront for anyone who reads or responds! So I’ve thought I’ve been going through RT for a month now. I’ve been drinking small strong amounts of kava everyday. And from different distributors. About 1 week ago, I had some kava Tonga from Kavafied and it hit the spot like immediately! I was like oooohhhhhh it’s on now, then I went and visited two separate spots and drank their kava. No effect with a bottled Vava’u Tongan strain. Amazing effect with a Fijian micronized strain from a bar. Now I get home the same night and I make the kava Tongan again home prep and I feel nothing after 2 cups of 6 tbsp in 20oz of water. I’m really frustrated at this point. I feel like something about my prep is wrong. I usually knead/strain for 5-10 minutes, let it sit for 10-15, then knead/strain for another 5 minutes. Please help!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hey guys, thank you upfront for anyone who reads or responds! So I’ve thought I’ve been going through RT for a month now. I’ve been drinking small strong amounts of kava everyday. And from different distributors. About 1 week ago, I had some kava Tonga from Kavafied and it hit the spot like immediately! I was like oooohhhhhh it’s on now, then I went and visited two separate spots and drank their kava. No effect with a bottled Vava’u Tongan strain. Amazing effect with a Fijian micronized strain from a bar. Now I get home the same night and I make the kava Tongan again home prep and I feel nothing after 2 cups of 6 tbsp in 20oz of water. I’m really frustrated at this point. I feel like something about my prep is wrong. I usually knead/strain for 5-10 minutes, let it sit for 10-15, then knead/strain for another 5 minutes. Please help!
there's nothing wrong with your prep, if anything it's overprepped. What I suspect happens, especially with Tongans, is your body's receptors adapt very quickly. Many people have noticed this with other Tongan strains. They'll have a fantastic first time, but the euphoria is hard to reproduce. There's various tricks for dealing with this, but none involve your home prep, which is fine.

LyndaKaye

Kava Curious
Thank you for your reply! Well at least I know that it is not my prep. What other tricks can I try for this “quick adaptation”?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
What I suspect happens, especially with Tongans, is your body's receptors adapt very quickly. Many people have noticed this with other Tongan strains. They'll have a fantastic first time, but the euphoria is hard to reproduce.
So Tongans have a Reverse, Reverse Tolerance...err, a Tolerance.
This is important information to know about Tongans and any other strains that have that quality.
I bet a lot of people didn't know that.
If it hasn't been done already, maybe someone could put together a sheet that lists the strains like Tongans that adapt quickly to body receptors, along with any of the tricks to offset that ?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So Tongans have a Reverse, Reverse Tolerance...err, a Tolerance.
This is important information to know about Tongans and any other strains that have that quality.
I bet a lot of people didn't know that.
If it hasn't been done already, maybe someone could put together a sheet that lists the strains like Tongans that adapt quickly to body receptors, along with any of the tricks to offset that ?
I think the answer lies somewhere in not going to the well too often with the same strain. But you want to keep your general kava receptors primed. I think ideal solution might be to stock a couple dozen or more strains and constantly rotate them (pricey af, tho, but a pound of any strain might last you a year or two or more). I do well with never drinking the same strain twice in a row. In a typical day I drink 2 or 3 different kavas a day and that seems to work well for me.