What's new

Ativan curse

Newk

Kava Curious
If any members could chime in on my situation it would be appreciated.(Thanks to Deleted User and infradez for getting me onto the aston manual.) I'm 2 weeks into the cross-tapering from ativan to valium,oh, some history(1mg ativan daily use for the last 3 years ,ssri's on/off for last 13 yrs, off for the last 2 months starting using St.johns wort). So, the first week: reduce ativan to .75mg and take 2.5 mgs valium daily(no problems). 2nd week take .5mgs ativan and 5 mgs valium daily( problems on day 4,6 & 7, needed to pop 1 mg ativan tabs to get to sleep or get out of bed( crawling out of my skin). I also started on my kava RT process 4days before the cross tapering begun,so no help from the kava gods yet. What to do? Should I have gone back on the ssri before I started the benzo tapering? Should I have broke through the Kava RT before the taper as well ? Maybe the cross taper to valium should have been a different ratio( or lengthen time to drop dose strength) or do I need to cross-taper to a different drug? Right now I'm thinking about the somewhat normal state I was in with my 1 mg ativan daily dose. I know we aren't doctors here, but the info I have got here is better than my docs advice of " oh, if need to take more ativan than I must increase your dose of paxil, not even mentioning the certainity of a benzo addition and possible future health problems. I'm really questioning if I'm affected by stress at all anymore or if its just a benzo problem? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I wish I could help in your quest for answers but I have no experience with the meds you are taking, I only have experience with kava. I hope that you can find your happy place with the kava so that you can cut out all the meds. I have sold kava to natural doctors and herbalists and they have told me they have had good results with kava and it's ability to help stop withdraws from other things. Good luck and aloha.

Chris

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Newk said:
If any members could chime in on my situation it would be appreciated.(Thanks to Deleted User and infradez for getting me onto the aston manual.) I'm 2 weeks into the cross-tapering from ativan to valium,oh, some history(1mg ativan daily use for the last 3 years ,ssri's on/off for last 13 yrs, off for the last 2 months starting using St.johns wort).So, the first week: reduce ativan to .75mg and take 2.5 mgs valium daily(no problems). 2nd week take .5mgs ativan and 5 mgs valium daily( problems on day 4,6 & 7, needed to pop 1 mg ativan tabs to get to sleep or get out of bed( crawling out of my skin).I think perhaps your mindset should be one of not going from ativan to valium but weaning off ativan for sleep to eventually using only kava I also started on my kava RT process 4days before the cross tapering begun,so no help from the kava gods yet. What to do? Should I have gone back on the ssri before I started the benzo tapering?I think so Should I have broke through the Kava RT before the taper as well ?I think you should be very careful with creating a sort of chemical cocktail of too many compositions which may make for a situation where you not only have trouble finding what works but also could perhaps be dangerous Maybe the cross taper to valium should have been a different ratio( or lengthen time to drop dose strength) or do I need to cross-taper to a different drug?Again my friend I think you need to change your mindset from "finding that magic drug combination" to one of how can I totally get off drugs to where I am taking only what is absolutely crucial for my well being Right now I'm thinking about the somewhat normal state I was in with my 1 mg ativan daily dose. I know we aren't doctors here, but the info I have got here is better than my docs advice of " oh, if need to take more ativan than I must increase your dose of paxil,have you tried lexapro rather than paxil? St. Johns is not going to act upon the receptors the same way ssri's do not even mentioning the certainity of a benzo addition and possible future health problems. I'm really questioning if I'm affected by stress at all anymore or if its just a benzo problem?Could very well be, kava is such a brilliant alternative to the harsh reality of long term benzo use Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Did not mean to come across as telling you your business but you asked for others to chime in so there is my 2 cents my friend

Last edited:

Newk

Kava Curious
Thanks for your advice Noueky, actually I started years ago on paxil but recently changed to lexapro a year ago( didn't find much difference). The thing is, during my span of on/off use with ssri's there were 1-2 year stints where I didn't use any and was fine. Pressure built at work so I felt I needed them again sometimes with the ativan, then I think I got addicted to it. Heard some good things about St. Johns wort ,and thought I would give it a try. Actually tonight was the first time kava has had an effect ( slight intoxication and a calmness feeling, finally Day 19 of RT.:smuggrin: