Change background image

News Article Australia to trial commercial kava imports in 2020

Discussion in 'Kava News' started by kasa_balavu, Oct 11, 2019.

1. kasa_balavu

kasa_balavu Yaqona Dina

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/6434097/morrison-ups-kava-imports-in-nod-to-fiji/?cs=7
  2. verticity

verticity I'm interested in things

Good news for kava producing nations and Australia. But I wonder what "commercial imports" means. Will Australians be able to buy kava powder, or will it just mean imports for OTC pharma products?

Clearly the right just thing to do, but I do nonetheless also wonder about my own selfish interests as a US kava consumer; will we see our prices go up even further?
    schatz, kastom_lif and kasa_balavu like this.
  3. kasa_balavu

kasa_balavu Yaqona Dina

Yeah it remains to be seen what shape and form that will take. However, commercial imports for OTC pharma products are already legal, so I presume they're talking about allowing the import of real kava.

That's a very valid concern. The market can't bear much higher prices. With every man and his dog in the Pacific Islands planting kava to take advantage of the current high prices (great for growers), my (selfish) concern was that in 2-3 years prices would drop significantly. The Australian market opening up should keep prices from dropping, but if it causes prices to rise even further, PI farmers will have to start worrying about non-kava nations (Brazil, Indonesia, etc) entering the fray.
    kastom_lif and Henry like this.
  4. kastom_lif

kastom_lif Kava Enthusiast

Might get weird, if QLD decides to get into farming kava. They've got the climate for it.
    kasa_balavu likes this.