What's new

Kava FAQ Bad batch?

UmbrellaOps

Kava Curious
So I’m still new to Kava. Ive been enjoying it consistently since the start of the new year. I have ad kalm with kava, Bula house and my favorite thus far, kava supreme. I have heard of people getting a bad batch at times, because I’ve just dealt with a terrible stomach bug (seems to be 24 hours) where I was throwing up all day yesterday. I had Mexican food the night before but my wife did as well and no negative effects.

Does any of this sound familiar to a bad batch? I have been using the alubottle with kava supreme.

Sorry for the possible bad grammar, I’m still out of it from being ill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So I’m still new to Kava. Ive been enjoying it consistently since the start of the new year. I have ad kalm with kava, Bula house and my favorite thus far, kava supreme. I have heard of people getting a bad batch at times, because I’ve just dealt with a terrible stomach bug (seems to be 24 hours) where I was throwing up all day yesterday. I had Mexican food the night before but my wife did as well and no negative effects.

Does any of this sound familiar to a bad batch? I have been using the alubottle with kava supreme.

Sorry for the possible bad grammar, I’m still out of it from being ill.

If you were sick for 24 hours, it likely wasn't the kava, or at least no kava that you'd get your hands on being on this side of the pacific ocean. I've had bad batches, and they did make me sick, but nothing like a stomach virus. Get to feeling better! I absolutely hate being sick to my stomach.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Well, technically speaking, if kava has high levels of E Coli, or other pathogens, it is definetely possible to get sick for 24h or longer.

Kavafied is a legitimate, reputable vendor and I assume they pack their kava in a proper, approved facility, so it is extremely unlikely that any of their kava would have any such issues, but you can let them know in case they ve received other similar reports and something was wrong with one batch. I am sure they keep track of their batches, orders etc.

But yes, it is much more likely that you caught some bug elsewhere.
That's one of the beauties of this forum. If there is an issue with one particular kava it won't take long to find out, multiple reports of the same thing would come to light.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
That's one of the beauties of this forum. If there is an issue with one particular kava it won't take long to find out, multiple reports of the same thing would come to light.
Yeah I've had kava my body didn't agree with but once it passed through it was gone. I didn't respond well to MeloMelo and 1 other that was an isolated incident with me personally from a different vendor. If you have something that lasted 24 hours it most likely wasn't the kava like someone said above. You would know prett fast about an actual bad batch. Most variation in batches I ever seen was in strength and a little in effect. I know KWK even labels their batches on the package which I hope others start doing.

UmbrellaOps

Kava Curious
Certainly not trying to tarnish Kavafides reputation. They have been amazing In all aspects. Their Alubottle product is a genius step in kava consumption technology. Not to mention, I love Supreme. I think I just like Vanuatu kavas more anyway

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Keep in mind also that just because your wife didn’t get sick that doesn’t cross off the food from the list as something that could have potentially made you sick. She might just have a better immune system than you. I’ve seen this a few times where some food has made my wife or a friend really sick but I was basically fine with no symptoms
The same thing happened to me. A friend and I ate at a mexican restaurant, she was fine but I was violently ill for a couple of days.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
The same thing happened to me. A friend and I ate at a mexican restaurant, she was fine but I was violently ill for a couple of days.
The worst situation I’ve ever seen was after a night of fishing. Me and a friend were catching a lot and snacking in between taking fish off the line. Inevitably we both ended up with some nasty lake sickness. I woke up the next day and felt ill for about an hour then felt better and moved on with my day. Around noon his girlfriend called to tell me they were at the emergency room and she wanted to know if I was sick too. He ended up missing three days of work and will no longer fish this lake with me

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Having lived in Africa for the past 15 years, I feel like I need to accidentally drink sewer water to get sick. When I first moved to Ghana as a Peace Corps volunteer in 2004 I was ravaged by gastrointestinal infections. Over the years, I have eaten at the most remote, dirty, dusty "chop bars" in Burkina Faso, South Sudan, and the muddy lean-to restaurants in the highlands of Ethiopia and very rarely experience stomach issues.

With Kava, I only feel sick when I overdo it. I recently overdid it with some instant "Fire Island" from Nakamal at Home. The current batch is amazing, but more than four tablespoons will make your world spin. And yes, overdoing a strong Waka - or, god forbid, overdoing some Wow! - will make you run for the toilet and reject your dinner.

Kavafied is a high quality, consistent vendor. But certainly it wouldn't hurt to ask.