What's new

Best kava available UK?

in recovery

Kava Curious
Hi all, I'm very new to kava. I wish I had found this stuff years ago. I am wondering where I can get the strongest kava extract from at a reasonable price uk or even if that's the best way to do it? I have been buying gaia herbs kava capsules which really help me but it they don't last long as they only do small amounts but at least I get it and the strength is consistent. I have been burnt before more than once with stuff not turning up or when it has it's done nothing (powder in capsules) could really do with a reliable source that's a bit cheaper if possible. Apparently the capsules I'm using are 70mg kavalactones per tablet. Does anyone know of anything similar, stronger or in larger amounts than 60tabs that I can get in the uk without getting ripped off

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Hey man. I am from the UK too and I am also in recovery. Nice to meet you. I just sent you a message actually before I saw this thread.

I've never used Kava extract, so can't comment on that, but I'm sure some of the others will chime in.

The best results I've had is from using medium grind strained in a strainer bag, I've never used capsules but I do know that this method will be a lot stronger. It's generally considered the best method to consume kava.

Even though we can still get kava in the UK, which I am so so happy about, the price is annoying. It can be expensive. You have a couple of options.

Edward is a great UK vendor who I use a lot. He gets great kava. He's very active on these boards, and I'm sure he'll see this and reply to your post and give you some good info. There's no risk of the kava not arriving and getting seized, as he's based in the UK so ships via royal mail directly from his place.

Another option, as I'm sure you already know, is to order from vendors abroad. However, most of them don't ship to the UK and the ones that do, there's the risk of your pacel getting stopped on the way into the UK.

Honestly, if you've been getting good results from capsules, you'll get on great with proper medium grind.

Hope that's of some help. If you want to get in touch with Edward, have a look on the vendor section on this forum and you'll see his section.

in recovery

Kava Curious
Thank you. Yeah that sound like the ticket but I don't know how to go on with it. Would it come with instructions on how much to take etc?

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you. Yeah that sound like the ticket but I don't know how to go on with it. Would it come with instructions on how much to take etc?
It won't come with any instructions, but there is plenty of info on this forum which will explain what you need to do and how to prepare it correctly. I can help you out too no problem and can tell you what needs to be done.

Basically, medium grind kava will arrive in a bag (I normally order 500g to 1kg at a time). For each drinking session I typically use 60grams, but you can get by on less than that. 30g should be enough, it depends what you want to get out of it.

The kava arrives in powder form (not extremely fine, that's where the term medium grind comes from, it refers to how fine the powder has been grounded up). You take say 50g of the powder, put it in a strainer bag, then knead the powder in water for 5 - 10 minutes.

Once you're done kneading it, you can drink the kava. I generally put 60grams in 2 litres of water, and drink it over the course of a couple of hours. I generally drink a glass (or a shell as it's referred to) once every 20 minutes until it's finshed. Some people will use less water, and drink it all in one go, I personally prefer drinking it bit by bit over a couple of hours. Again, it depends what you want out of it.

There's different types of Kavas that produce different effects. You get ones that are reffered to as heady or heavy. You can also get balanced ones which are a mixture of both heady and heavy. I personally at the moment prefer heavy ones, as I feel a bigger effect from those and they really do relax your whole body. Here is a good article which explains the difference between heady and heavy: https://www.artofkava.com/blogs/news/heady-vs-heavy-kavas

Like I said before, if you're having good results from kava capsules, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with medium grind powder. It will be much much stronger. There's a whole world of kava out there which I've only just properly begun to discover. It really is an amazing plant.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
@in recovery My advice is not much different than Tracer Tong's. Welcome to KF, glad to have you with us!
The best results I've had is from using medium grind strained in a strainer bag, I've never used capsules but I do know that this method will be a lot stronger. It's generally considered the best method to consume kava.
This is 1000% correct, don't even waste you time, energy and money on anything less. The notion that an extract is better, is incorrect in relation to kava.
Honestly, if you've been getting good results from capsules, you'll get on great with proper medium grind.
Never look back from those capsules when you get the medium grind, it will take less root with better results every single time.

A note on preparation to you and anyone, is to never forget about second or third washes of the makas (powder) you used the first time. You can knead 2nd & 3rd washes by just adding the same amount of water again, or a little less each time, lots of ways to optimize this but it is important to not forget to do this, this will make a pound of kava last twice as long.

Osadandaula UK

Kava Enthusiast
I wouldn’t disagree with anything contributed already.

If medium grind sounds like a lot effort, I’d throw instant Kava in as an option. It is more expensive than medium grind and the effects aren’t as good (in my experience) but the convenience is second to none vs medium grind. Just stir a tsp or two into a grass of water, done.

Regarding vendors, Edward also sells instant. He is the only risk free option in the UK that I know of and it’ll be with you in a day or two.

That said I have also bought from Kava society of NZ and Realkava.com. Both have arrived without issue and both claim the have many regular UK clients who don’t experience issue, but there is obviously no guarantees. Both took about 3 weeks to arrive

When weighing up price vs risk, I used 50g of Edward’s medium grind MeloMelo. 30g of RealKava Special Reserve and 40g of Kava Society MeloMelo. For similar strength effects.

I’d recommend Edward, get a bit of instant and a bit of medium grind. Then if it’s for you and you are willing to own a bit of risk, know there is a bit of choice out there and saving’s to be made.

Osadandaula UK

Kava Enthusiast
Kava in the UK is tricky so I've done a comparison table to try and help anyone who is interested.

First the caveats:
  1. There's a risk that a package gets seized
  2. There's a risk you'll get hit with import duty
  3. The serving size is obviously personal preference / tolerance
  4. The cost of delivery goes down the more you order but risk goes up
  5. Exchange rates fluctuate
With the above in mine, the below is just my experience so far. I've actually paid a little more as I've gone for verity and 2 x 500g or 1/2lb bags of different kava works out a little more expensive than 1kg or 2lb of the same. Once I've settled on some favourites the below should stand.

Vendor
TypeWeightPriceDeliveryPrice DeliveredPrice per gramServing sizePrice per Session
EdwardMeloMelo500g£90free£9018p50g£9
RealKavaSpecial Reserve908g£120£27£14716.1p30g£4.83
Kava Society NZMeloMelo1000g£97£35£13214.5p40g£5.79

in recovery

Kava Curious
It won't come with any instructions, but there is plenty of info on this forum which will explain what you need to do and how to prepare it correctly. I can help you out too no problem and can tell you what needs to be done.

Basically, medium grind kava will arrive in a bag (I normally order 500g to 1kg at a time). For each drinking session I typically use 60grams, but you can get by on less than that. 30g should be enough, it depends what you want to get out of it.

The kava arrives in powder form (not extremely fine, that's where the term medium grind comes from, it refers to how fine the powder has been grounded up). You take say 50g of the powder, put it in a strainer bag, then knead the powder in water for 5 - 10 minutes.

Once you're done kneading it, you can drink the kava. I generally put 60grams in 2 litres of water, and drink it over the course of a couple of hours. I generally drink a glass (or a shell as it's referred to) once every 20 minutes until it's finshed. Some people will use less water, and drink it all in one go, I personally prefer drinking it bit by bit over a couple of hours. Again, it depends what you want out of it.

There's different types of Kavas that produce different effects. You get ones that are reffered to as heady or heavy. You can also get balanced ones which are a mixture of both heady and heavy. I personally at the moment prefer heavy ones, as I feel a bigger effect from those and they really do relax your whole body. Here is a good article which explains the difference between heady and heavy: https://www.artofkava.com/blogs/news/heady-vs-heavy-kavas

Like I said before, if you're having good results from kava capsules, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with medium grind powder. It will be much much stronger. There's a whole world of kava out there which I've only just properly begun to discover. It really is an amazing plant.
Thank you so much for the info. This is exactly what I was after and very well explained

in recovery

Kava Curious
I wouldn’t disagree with anything contributed already.

If medium grind sounds like a lot effort, I’d throw instant Kava in as an option. It is more expensive than medium grind and the effects aren’t as good (in my experience) but the convenience is second to none vs medium grind. Just stir a tsp or two into a grass of water, done.

Regarding vendors, Edward also sells instant. He is the only risk free option in the UK that I know of and it’ll be with you in a day or two.

That said I have also bought from Kava society of NZ and Realkava.com. Both have arrived without issue and both claim the have many regular UK clients who don’t experience issue, but there is obviously no guarantees. Both took about 3 weeks to arrive

When weighing up price vs risk, I used 50g of Edward’s medium grind MeloMelo. 30g of RealKava Special Reserve and 40g of Kava Society MeloMelo. For similar strength effects.

I’d recommend Edward, get a bit of instant and a bit of medium grind. Then if it’s for you and you are willing to own a bit of risk, know there is a bit of choice out there and saving’s to be made.
Can't afford risk right now but it's worth thinking about if my finances improve. Thanks for the info