What's new

Best Kava capsules/quick and easy dosing recommendations?

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
I’ve looked into Kava candies which really interested me, but they have Chamomile and that makes my allergies flare up like crazy. The Kava extract from KWK looks good, but it has L-Theanine which oddly enough energizes me more than calms me. I’m not sure how it’d pair with Kava, but regardless I’m mostly interested in something just pure kava. Something like a capsule I can dose 2-3 times a day with no troubles and preparation worries. I’ve heard Gaia capsules might be pretty good? I’m probably looking for about 100mg (or less for better dosing) Kavalactones per dose. Nothing too crazy, just something to take the edge off of social situations/stressful days when I’m away from home. Thanks for any input :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I’ve looked into Kava candies which really interested me, but they have Chamomile and that makes my allergies flare up like crazy. The Kava extract from KWK looks good, but it has L-Theanine which oddly enough energizes me more than calms me. I’m not sure how it’d pair with Kava, but regardless I’m mostly interested in something just pure kava. Something like a capsule I can dose 2-3 times a day with no troubles and preparation worries. I’ve heard Gaia capsules might be pretty good? I’m probably looking for about 100mg (or less for better dosing) Kavalactones per dose. Nothing too crazy, just something to take the edge off of social situations/stressful days when I’m away from home. Thanks for any input :)
If you're not looking to get ripped, the Gaia herbs phytocaps are probably the top of the line when it comes to pills. Expensive, but they do work.

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
I purchased some of the BKH Extract, I read through the old threads about it and how long it took for BKH to perfect. I also read about how good it was and how much everyone loved it, so just for the sake of loving Kava I picked some up. It most likely won’t be for the purpose I stated in my post, but it could be, i’ll have to see! I’ll check in on this thread tomorrow to see if anyone else pitches in with some recommendations. The Gaia capsules seem promising, most of their products are all very, very high quality I’ve noticed. Though, that can be hit or miss with Kava.. But regardless, I’ve heard good things about theirs. Thanks for the replies, excited to try the BKH extract!

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
If you're not looking to get ripped, the Gaia herbs phytocaps are probably the top of the line when it comes to pills. Expensive, but they do work.
I use them when I can, they are expensive but produce a very unique and pleasant experience. It takes at somewhere between 6-10 capsules to feel it but it is bliss

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
I've always been curious about these:
https://rootofhappinesskava.com/products/premium-vanuatu-kava-capsules
Anyone know how they are?
Looks like a nice chemotype too.

*Edit: looks like there is one comment in this thread
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/capsules.14226/
I was looking into these, Root of Happiness seems like a really good site but i've never tried any of their products. For the time being i'm gonna give the BKH extract a shot and if I want something a little more easy-going i'll try out the Gaia capsules. Thanks for the replies!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
@Russell Caruso If you are willing to invest in the capsules which's relatively expensive on a regular basis, why not try an instant kava? All you need is a teaspoon, mixed in water or juice and you can drink it just as easily as anything you mix instantly in water and drink, Metamucil comes to mind as a comparison and it also reminds me that I'm getting older if it's the first analogy that comes to mind. :facepalm:

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
@Russell Caruso If you are willing to invest in the capsules which's relatively expensive on a regular basis, why not try an instant kava? All you need is a teaspoon, mixed in water or juice and you can drink it just as easily as anything you mix instantly in water and drink, Metamucil comes to mind as a comparison and it also reminds me that I'm getting older if it's the first analogy that comes to mind. :facepalm:
I suppose that hasn't really crossed my mind. Though, I heard instant can cause more digestive upset than regular medium grind, and i'm already susceptible to stomach upset with certain medium grind Kavas... Unless it's micronized that causes more stomach upset? Is there a difference between micronized and instant?
I never really looked into either, to be truthful. I've had several medium grinds but never really thought to lay a finger on an instant. Is there any downsides to them?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I suppose that hasn't really crossed my mind. Though, I heard instant can cause more digestive upset than regular medium grind, and i'm already susceptible to stomach upset with certain medium grind Kavas... Unless it's micronized that causes more stomach upset? Is there a difference between micronized and instant?
I never really looked into either, to be truthful. I've had several medium grinds but never really thought to lay a finger on an instant. Is there any downsides to them?
I think its the other way around. Micronized causes more stomach issues than instant. Yes, there is a difference. Micronized is finely ground root (hopefully minus the makas), instant is traditionally prepared kava (usually made from fresh root) that is dehydrated.
Downside = expensive.

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
I think its the other way around. Micronized causes more stomach issues than instant. Yes, there is a difference. Micronized is finely ground root (hopefully minus the makas), instant is traditionally prepared kava (usually made from fresh root) that is dehydrated.
Downside = expensive.
Ahhh okay, yeah I could see how Micronized is the one that would cause stomach issues. So instant doesn't sound so bad. Maybe I should look into some, I just think even with instant Kava it'd be hard to dose away from home.. Or at the least, a little awkward. I prefer drinking out of shells, so.. I suppose if I had to I could just put some in a water bottle and shake it up? lol. Speaking of shaking, I do own an Aluball which is great for on the go but.. It's a lot easier to use an extract or a small capsule ya know?
Vacations would probably be good for instant or when i'm lazy haha

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Gourmet hawaiin kava does a great nene instant. Which is trad prep dehydrated. I have both instsnt and micro and u can tell
The difference.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Ahhh okay, yeah I could see how Micronized is the one that would cause stomach issues. So instant doesn't sound so bad. Maybe I should look into some, I just think even with instant Kava it'd be hard to dose away from home.. Or at the least, a little awkward. I prefer drinking out of shells, so.. I suppose if I had to I could just put some in a water bottle and shake it up? lol. Speaking of shaking, I do own an Aluball which is great for on the go but.. It's a lot easier to use an extract or a small capsule ya know?
Vacations would probably be good for instant or when i'm lazy haha
You could buy instant or micronized and then cap it yourself (by hand or by machine). Probably still a lot cheaper than the gaia capsules.
Amazon product