What's new

Best Kava for anxiety

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Hi guys. I've been reading through this forum for a few days now and just decided to join. I'm very interested in Kava for it's anxiolytic effect. From what I'm gathering it seems that "Stone" might be my best option? Keeping in mind that I can put up with the taste (probably) and the cost. If I order the Stone Kava from Nakamal, do I need to purchase any other items (strainers of some sort etc) in order to prepare my drink? Sorry for the newbie questions guys. Thank you :)

Oh, and if I buy the 1 kilo...how many servings would that come out to roughly? I know everybody is different and needs different amounts...but how many servings does this come out to on average?

infraredz

BULA!
Stone is very sedating, very potent and very "heavy" on the spectrum, however, it's also too expensive (IMO). I would go with Boroguru (my staple for anxiety) but it's out of stock at the moment. Bula Kava House's Borogu, Boroguru and Melo Melo have all done very well for me in regards to anxiety. All the vendors listed here are good though, and part of the experience with kava is finding what works for you so I and many others would probably recommend a sampler pack from BKH (or other vendors that offer them).

For strainers, nylon stockings are my personal favorite to be honest. Lots of us use them but there are other viable options like: paint strainers, muslin bags, "Fijian Strainers" (which is what most vendors sell as strainers and are just two 'bags' of synthetic fabric). Old, but clean, T-shirts also work.

From this thread about weights of various kava you can deduce how much you will use. I would say it's probably an average of 7g per tablespoon. That being said, there is a pretty wide range of amounts that people use. Some lightweights can get away with 2tbsp, while some need a full cup but I would say an average is between 4-9 tbsps per serving.

Also, check out these threads:
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/techniques/

http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/frequently-asked-questions/

Last edited:

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Noble Kava also sells a Boroguru kava. It's from a different island so it's a tiny bit different but its got identical characteristics to the BKH offering.

The Marang Marang they sell would also be a decent option.

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
It depends if you want daytime or nighttime kava, nighttime you should go with the ones others mentioned and stone, but if its daytime you're looking for then you should try Melo Melo, BKH Fijian Waka, KBR V3, KBR TP, or maybe even Paradise Fijian

Bula man!

Kava Curious
Haven't tried stone but im sure it would work very well for anxiety based on review I've read. My personal favorite is definitely boroguru, Very strong. It's uplifting for about 20-30 mins and then the heavy sedation and anti anxiety effects kick in.

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
I got an instant kava sample pack from my old K@ vendor (which I am no longer going to order, finished last batch today) and went ahead and tried the kava after I took some K@. I should've kept them separate lol. I'm laying on my couch and can't move. I mean, I feel good I guess (technically) but this is not what I'm looking for lol. Live and learn I guess. I might as well enjoy the feeling, just hoping that nausea doesn't creep in. Good thing I got my things done for the day already lol. Another thing I was curious about, how long do you guys find that the effects typically last?

Thanks for the help guys :)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Between 2 and 6 hours depending on stomach contents, strain. It's a complex experience e.g. the heady, uplifting feeling (presumably kavain) lasts a lot shorter than the muscle relaxation and general sedation in my experience.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Stone is very sedating, very potent and very "heavy" on the spectrum, however, it's also too expensive (IMO). I would go with Boroguru (my staple for anxiety) but it's out of stock at the moment. Bula Kava House's Borogu, Boroguru and Melo Melo have all done very well for me in regards to anxiety. All the vendors listed here are good though, and part of the experience with kava is finding what works for you so I and many others would probably recommend a sampler pack from BKH (or other vendors that offer them).

For strainers, nylon stockings are my personal favorite to be honest. Lots of us use them but there are other viable options like: paint strainers, muslin bags, "Fijian Strainers" (which is what most vendors sell as strainers and are just two 'bags' of synthetic fabric). Old, but clean, T-shirts also work.

From this thread about weights of various kava you can deduce how much you will use. I would say it's probably an average of 7g per tablespoon. That being said, there is a pretty wide range of amounts that people use. Some lightweights can get away with 2tbsp, while some need a full cup but I would say an average is between 4-9 tbsps per serving.

Also, check out these threads:
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/techniques/

http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/frequently-asked-questions/
Would the instant Kava from BKH be in the same category as "Borogu, Boroguru and Melo Melo" if on were short on time. Does anyone have experience on how it would compare

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
I got an instant kava sample pack from my old K@ vendor (which I am no longer going to order, finished last batch today) and went ahead and tried the kava after I took some K@. I should've kept them separate lol. I'm laying on my couch and can't move. I mean, I feel good I guess (technically) but this is not what I'm looking for lol. Live and learn I guess. I might as well enjoy the feeling, just hoping that nausea doesn't creep in. Good thing I got my things done for the day already lol. Another thing I was curious about, how long do you guys find that the effects typically last?

Thanks for the help guys :)
I have experimented with K@ and although the effects were nice at first overall I did not like it long term and do not feel personally that it was worth it

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
I have experimented with K@ and although the effects were nice at first overall I did not like it long term and do not feel personally that it was worth it

Yeah it's not the most exciting substance in the world. You pretty much nailed it, fun at first...that's about it. Use too much 0f it and you will get SICK.

On another note, I'm waiting for my first batch of Stone. Tracking says it should be delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Hoping for some good results.:D

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Guys, Im having problems determining exactly what the "toss and wash" method means. From what little I gather, it essentially means getting the kava powder ingested in as little time as possible without straining it etc.? Is this essentially the same thing as simply capping the kava powder and swallowing the pills?

D

Deleted User01

You got it wormwood. Some people don't strain the kava, they drink it all together with powder, fibers, and water. It is more potent this way but it has been said that toss and wash aggravates some of side effects of Kava like Dermopathy and Stomach Discomfort. I got some micronized Kava which is not quite instant but much finer than powder and I mix it up with water or juice. It's fine enough that I don't experience any side effects though I'm not a big fan of its grittiness. I am a big fan of its potency.

Hope that helps and welcome to the Forum.

Alien

Kava Newbie
You got it wormwood. Some people don't strain the kava, they drink it all together with powder, fibers, and water. It is more potent this way but it has been said that toss and wash aggravates some of side effects of Kava like Dermopathy and Stomach Discomfort. I got some micronized Kava which is not quite instant but much finer than powder and I mix it up with water or juice. It's fine enough that I don't experience any side effects though I'm not a big fan of its grittiness. I am a big fan of its potency.

Hope that helps and welcome to the Forum.
I had "tossed and washed" some san pedro powder via capsules a few years ago. It ended up being close to 100 caps. It was extremely hard to fight off nausea but I did it and had a great experience. These days I don't consume anything-- I'm not a smoker, don't drink, etc. I don't even drink soda!

Anyway, a lot of kava capsules I've seen are 10:1 "instant kava" that was simply capped. I have tried some of these and had zero effects. Your mileage may vary.

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
I used the "toss and wash" method last night as I was too eager to wait for prep, normally I will be making grog. Anyways, I used around 4 tspns and thought I felt a little something but didn't think too much about it. But then, I went to sleep and had some of the best sleep that I had had in a loooong time! I woke up feeling refreshed and recharged for the first time since I can't remember when, and anxiety is down this morning also. Very happy right now. I feel great this morning and have a very positive outlook on life. Maybe it's partially a placebo effect but I know myself well and, having anxiety and mild-moderate depression, mornings can be rough for me sometimes. Not today! Let's hope this feeling continues :D If I have to spend 200 dollars per month...so be it..