What's new

Best Kava for Insomnia ?

AZcat

Kava Drinker
I was drunk or stoned on the Squanch Fijian Waka for over 8 hours. I had no idea a Kava could be like that. Totally different to all the other ones I have tried. I did have a desire to socialize when I was on it, but there was no one here so I just had to watch Netflix :( Eventually when it wore off I did get a good sleep. I have come to the conclusion all the Kava's are good for my Insomnia, and I feel much healthier from using it, its even improved my appetite !

AZcat

Kava Drinker
I'm finding that using Kava alternate days, or once every 3 days is gradually helping me sleep better. I have gone from only having a couple of hours sleep per night to 6 hours or more sleep per night. I have found the KWK Borongoru is best for me, but I am very low on it at the moment and waiting for them to re-stock. In the meantime, i've ordered some Ikaika Kava From GHK

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I was drunk or stoned on the Squanch Fijian Waka for over 8 hours. I had no idea a Kava could be like that. Totally different to all the other ones I have tried. I did have a desire to socialize when I was on it, but there was no one here so I just had to watch Netflix :( Eventually when it wore off I did get a good yd sleep. I have come to the conclusion all the Kava's are good for my Insomnia, and I feel much healthier from using it, its even improved my appetite !
Just curious, what method do you use - Aluball, Traditional Prep, etc ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Most of the Kava's I am using are Micronized, so you just mix them with water and drink. I have an Aluball for ones that are not Micronized.
Thanks. I was curious in particular how you prepared the Squanch Fijan Waka, which I believe is non-Micro ?
So I assume you use the Aluball for that

AZcat

Kava Drinker
Thanks. I was curious in particular how you prepared the Squanch Fijan Waka, which I believe is non-Micro ?
So I assume you use the Aluball for that
Yes I used the Aluball. I only tried the Squanch Fijan Waka one time, and didn't really like it. I haven't done it a second time.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Yes I used the Aluball. I only tried the Squanch Fijan Waka one time, and didn't really like it. I haven't done it a second time.
Squanch Waka is fine potency wise, IME but it really isn't for me. I like to mix it into Supreme or Stone. The current Squanch Waka is one of the few kava products that doesn't really help me initiate sleep at all. It does add a favorable element to the higher DHM products, though.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I've been using Kava for a while now ( usually alternate days ) and I am finding that they ALL help with sleep, if you use it frequently. Because of our eating and sleeping schedule, I find the best time to take it is late afternoon. I am just getting to the point where I am getting 8 hours sleep per night, which is outstanding since I haven't been able to do that for about 3 years !
Mostly I have been using KWK Instant Borongoru, but I have just got myself some Squanch Fijian Waka, and an Aluball.
Once you get to the point where kava is regularly allowing you 8 hrs sleep a night, then lots of secondary issues clear up. Kava doesn’t cure those directly, your body’s natural maintenance and repair on autopilot, given adequate sleep, takes care of that. Stuff we didn’t even realize was a problem was a problem. Kava fixes it but often not directly, and usually not immediately. My wife’s decads long insomnia took a full 7 or 8 months to totally fix, though benefits did start immediately, but full benefits took time. We systematically achieved systemic change.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Oh, as for squanch try a lower dose or weaker prep, or try mixing it 1:1 with some other, milder medium grind like a lawena or ideally some Tongan. The higher the quality Tongan, the better that blend will be, but even with the most mediocre Tongan you could find, which will take some effort as most Tongan root seems to be pretty damn good, it will still be a most wonderful grog.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
So far I have found the KWK Borongoru to be the best Kava for Insomnia. I also really like the euphoric effects from it and even the taste. I just re-ordered three 4oz Jars of the Micronized version and i'm waiting for it to arrive.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
Once you get to the point where kava is regularly allowing you 8 hrs sleep a night, then lots of secondary issues clear up. Kava doesn’t cure those directly, your body’s natural maintenance and repair on autopilot, given adequate sleep, takes care of that. Stuff we didn’t even realize was a problem was a problem. Kava fixes it but often not directly, and usually not immediately. My wife’s decads long insomnia took a full 7 or 8 months to totally fix, though benefits did start immediately, but full benefits took time. We systematically achieved systemic change.
I noticed that since i've been using Kava I have more energy, so I am sure what you say is true.

Hi guys,

I'm just starting on my Kava journey and the main reason is to try to help with some long term severe insomnia issues which have impacted my life in pretty big ways. I currently have some kava supreme, and KWK Pouni Ono (using aluball). I also took one or 2 Kava candies every morning for a couple of weeks in order to hopefully break through any reverse tolerance quickly when I start doing shells. I think I broke thru a couple of nights ago with the supreme. I felt some euphoria but also had a kind of unpleasant feeling and felt yuck the next day too. I honestly didnt really like it and it didnt help me sleep, perhaps made me feel a little wired. I haven't felt much with KWK yet.

(Tagging you @Krunkie McKrunkface since you talked along this line in this thread.)
Mainly though I'm interested though in reading some of these comments in this thread about how ANY kava works for insomnia as long as you take it regularly, and not trying to use it as a "sleeping pill". That being said, is there any need for me to try to "feel" it then? Or would I be ok just to take a couple of tablespoons before lunch, and couple of tablespoons in the evening, and just let it build up in my system? As far as treating insomnia would that work, and just forget about trying to have an "experience" when taking it? And also, would there be any need to worry about taking on empty stomach? What do you guys think? Cheers.

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Hi guys,

I'm just starting on my Kava journey and the main reason is to try to help with some long term severe insomnia issues which have impacted my life in pretty big ways. I currently have some kava supreme, and KWK Pouni Ono (using aluball). I also took one or 2 Kava candies every morning for a couple of weeks in order to hopefully break through any reverse tolerance quickly when I start doing shells. I think I broke thru a couple of nights ago with the supreme. I felt some euphoria but also had a kind of unpleasant feeling and felt yuck the next day too. I honestly didnt really like it and it didnt help me sleep, perhaps made me feel a little wired. I haven't felt much with KWK yet.

(Tagging you @Krunkie McKrunkface since you talked along this line in this thread.)
Mainly though I'm interested though in reading some of these comments in this thread about how ANY kava works for insomnia as long as you take it regularly, and not trying to use it as a "sleeping pill". That being said, is there any need for me to try to "feel" it then? Or would I be ok just to take a couple of tablespoons before lunch, and couple of tablespoons in the evening, and just let it build up in my system? As far as treating insomnia would that work, and just forget about trying to have an "experience" when taking it? And also, would there be any need to worry about taking on empty stomach? What do you guys think? Cheers.
There's other people around here who only take small amounts of kava and get great benefits. Is it @Alia ? There's definitely a thread on micro dosing around here somewhere.

El Guapo510

Kava Curious
the KWK Vula Waka ground root worked pretty well for me I haven’t tried the Borongoru but it’s supposed to be heavier. I’d go with the traditional prep method it always affects me different than the micronized and instant stuff.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hi guys,

IMO, though others have different experiences and they aren’t wrong, the empty stomach only matters in terms of immediate pleasure. Just for, lest there be any doubt, drinking kava for measure is a beautiful thing, oh yes. But it is not a requirement in drinking kava for health benefits, including preventing, but not treating, episodes of anxiety. It can work directly as s treatment but it is hit or miss, some days it works, sometimes it don’t, in part because the variables are so multile that it’s Hard to control for everything, especially if you don’t feel great at the time. One can, of corse, do both. Drinking for pleasurebtakes s lit more root and can run into money. I have about a $4/day kava hobby, down with which I but am.

IMO, though others have different experiences and they aren’t wrong, the empty stomach only matters in terms of immediate pleasure. Just for, lest there be any doubt, drinking kava for measure is a beautiful thing, oh yes. But it is not a requirement in drinking kava for health benefits, including preventing, but not treating, episodes of anxiety. It can work directly as s treatment but it is hit or miss, some days it works, sometimes it don’t, in part because the variables are so multile that it’s Hard to control for everything, especially if you don’t feel great at the time. One can, of corse, do both. Drinking for pleasurebtakes s lit more root and can run into money. I have about a $4/day kava hobby, down with which I but am.
Thanks for that clarification man. I have recently purchased a sample pack of borogu, borongoru, and loa waka from KWK, some 24Wave from steve at Ozia originals (mainly because I found on days I took 4 of his candies I had more energy -I have big fatigue issues- so wanted to see what his powder version was like) , and plan on purchasing one of each of the kavafied powders when i order another couple of aluballs. A bit of a cost outlay I guess at first as you find what strains you like for different purposes, but hoping these give me a bit of an indication of what I can get from kava, but good to know I don't have to worry so much for the medicinal side of it, but I'm still very interested to see how different strains go in an immediate sense. (I haven't yet received my order for these.)

In the meantime -an update from the last post is that I don't have the unpleasant side effects from the supreme now that I filter it through a 50 micron cloth after preparing. (finding the blender method very easy to do, the kava doesn't stick to the blender at all so a very quick rinse and it is clean again. However I think I will mainly use the aluball, as I feel like I will get an extra use of the kava if I save the makas and then blend them at a later date) Cheers.

for me it would be a single shell per day of 100 to 150ml, the extra 50ml of it being purely for pleasure, the exact number being a function of how guilty I would feel about the extra 50 ml. I'd usually go for it, I reckon.
So what is that in terms of how much medium grind kava you are putting in that 100-150ml shell? Tablespoon?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So what is that in terms of how much medium grind kava you are putting in that 100-150ml shell? Tablespoon?
oh no, far less, more like a teaspoon, or even less. But you wouldn't make a teaspoon, you would make up a batch and then set out your portions, freezing the rest in ice cube trays to thaw out a few each day.

One problem with kava prep is scale. Simply put, small scale prep is problematic, whereas many aspects of prep involve economies of scale. Not unworkable but at first unthinkable, "What, make a half gallon of kava?????" but you know, freeze it and you're fine. And it can work out very cheap (relatively), as little as 50 cents a day