What's new

Blending versus Kneading

Is blending your kava just as effective (or better) than kneading it?

• Yes

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
D

Deleted User01

Ok Alien, here is my definitive answer. Hell, I don't know! But seriously folks: :D
I have a study in my hand that came from Hawaii and it compares blending and kneading. That document is posted somewhere on this forum but I'm not sure where.

Here are the results (as I interpret them): Blending at 113 degrees removed 45 percent of the Kavalactones and Kneading at 113 degrees resulted in 54 percent. That's about as close to an answer as we are going to get. I do both nowadays. A quick spin in the blender and a quick knead in the pot. Notice I said quick. And I have no problems cleaning the blender but I only make my grog once every two weeks and then I bottle it. So I only go thru the hassle every other Sunday morning. (When everyone is asleep). Hope this helps.

P.S. When the best you can do is remove 54 percent, then KavaDude may have a point.

D

Deleted User01

Ok, I may be reading it wrong. Look down the chart where the temp is 45c (113f). The column that has B says 45 percent, I'm taking that to be blending. The column that has K as 54 percent, I'm taking that to be kneading. And I'm thinking that 54 percent is better than 45 percent but I could be misreading the whole dang thing. That's what I was going to tell you but then I looked again ..............

Now I see that the 54 percent is for F Frozen and we are supposed to be comparing D-Dry Root. So I wasn't reading the chart right. But that should give you the answer you need. Looks like Blending is much better. Does everyone concur?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Oh I was talking about oil and lecithin getting more lactones. Both blending and kneading will work.

D

Deleted User01

Kavadude, that's a good point. I forgot to put my soy in the Grog the last time I made it and I couldn't tell the difference. It was plenty strong. That's another topic where we need a "final answer". But that being said, if we only get 45 percent extraction of Kavalactones at 113 degrees, then how do we get at the rest? And I wonder how much you get with boiling (though I hate the texture of the grog when I boil it). One of these days somebody needs to post some final answers so we can quit speculating about it.

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
I a
I'll probably get in trouble but...I don't think either of them are effective.
In my short time with kava I have tried milk ,oil,and sunflower lecethin and none of it made the grog any stronger in my opinion however hot water made a huge difference

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
The real problem is how do we get the kavalactones out without FKB and other stuff. I don't think it's possible for us to produce a really good extraction of kava without expensive equipment.

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
How much would technique come into play (better blenders... bigger/strong hands, etc..so forth)?

jw2112

Kava Curious
I searched for "boiling" and got this string but I must say I have boiled the last week with a JetBoil using technique off of GHK website, strained thru 2 layered paint strainers and have been very pleased. Where I process my Kava is far from a stove so I got my wickedly awesome camping jetboil out and it works beautifully! Only pulp left and no squeezing. Used a small Cuisinart spatula stirring constantly and no weird consistancy. Can do this traveling no problem. Not a mess at all. Found for $70 or less online used even cheaper on Ebay... Thought I should share.
photo (11).JPG

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
I love jetboil, those things are awsome.
I think Nuntnfancy "on youtube" did a review

That is a great idea though...maybe I'll convince my wife to let me do the same

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Hot water and coconut oil, i'll swear by it. Also like to blend with an emulsion blender then give it a good round of squeezing. seems to maximize the batch for me.

As far as "kava hands" go, when I prepare to do some intense kneading I'll take a chunk of coconut oil and rub it all over both hands then commence to kneading. It's great for your skin and kind of protects it during the knead process. I have also wondered if it does indeed allow your skin to soak in some of the kavalactones as i've gotten slight effects from not having any kava to drink before kneading like that and still feel the effects setting in during kneading. So maybe there's another type of kava experiment...