What's new

Blood in urine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I'm hesitant to bring this up, especially since I've yet to see a Dr. to get myself officially checked out.
Twice this year after a night of kava, I've found a couple drops of blood in my toilet. The important thing to note here is that both times this has happened, I had recently consumed alcohol. Judging from these two experiences, it happens my 1st night back on Kava after recently having alcohol. That being said it doesn't always happen (that I'm aware of) because I've made the transition many times before with no problem. It should also be noted that this does not continue to happen in the successive nights of Kava drinking and likewise has never happened in my life when I'm drinking alcohol on it's own. My urine looks completely normal and not discolored, it just seems as though at some point a couple painless drip of blood find their way out. :eek: I don't find it until the morning, so it's probably happening when I pee in the middle of the night.

The 1st time it happened made much more sense to me, as I could see how my kidneys or something may have been stressed. I had a long weekend of drinking alcohol with friends, then walked several miles in the summer's heat, probably didn't have enough water and then switched back to Kava too soon because I didn't wanna keep having alcohol. I kept watch for a while and everything seemed fine since then. Now recently I started getting Dermopathy for the 1st time so I stopped Kava for a few days and started sipping red wine in the evenings, but nothing extreme. I then decided to go back to Kava (since AmLactin seemed to be treating my dermopathy so well) and that was when I noticed the blood for the 2nd time. Again I continued to drink kava in the following days, and everything seemed fine.
Then, although this very well could be unrelated, I woke up in the middle of the night with a recurring throb in my lower/right back that I've never felt before. When I got up in the morning, it persisted and had me pretty worried since it happened so close to me finding blood and also having dermopathy. I took vitamins and drank extra water (although I consider myself to always be pretty well hydrated) and it finally stopped in the late afternoon. After that, I didn't drink kava for several days. I've now resumed kava to see if the throbbing would return and after two nights...so far it has not. Like I said, it may have been unrelated. Especially considering I live with stomach problems & back problems and it may have just been a symptom of one of those. Although this felt new to me, if it were either of those two I'm leaning toward GI problem with this sensation.

Now, with how little Kava has truly been studied, I couldn't find much in regards to Kava and Kidneys and/or blood in urine. But there are a few mentions. There are some generic drug/webmd type sites that list blood in urine as a possible side effect from kava. And there's a study that was done on heavy kava consumption by the aborigines of Australia which mentioned them to be more likely to have blood in their urine and, I think, also lower kidney function.
Also, there was a story of a 34yr old riding his bike to work and laying down on the side of the road because he was overcome with extreme tiredness...he was taken to the hospital on the verge kidney failure, where it was figured out the only new thing in his diet was Kava. (unfortunately no mention if his usage, polydrug use, etc...all those other important things). He was treated and hydrated and released healthy 6 days later.

Well that's all I have to share for now. Just trying to put the info out there. I'm well aware that I should be going to the Dr. just to be safe...but I suppose I'm going to have to sign up for Obama-Care first. (Barring any sudden emergency). In general it seemed that any mention of hematuria/blood in urine as related to kava, was truly just a side-effect and not an indicator of a more serious issue (I could be wrong though). Outside of kava usage this problem can be either benign or serious, depending on the cause.

Oh, and on a quick semi-related note. When I was looking up symptoms of Kidney problems I noticed one of the indicators can be your skin getting rashy/flaky. It made me wonder if kava dermopathy is possibly related to the kidneys because it sounded so similar. There was even a personal story on a certain drug site of a girl who got an extreme case of kava dermopathy, but, was unaware of what it was...she went to the Dr. and their 1st reaction was that it was kidney problems...tests revealed it wasn't...and they eventually found out about the kava...

okay, I'm done :D

Last edited:
D

Deactivated Account

Obviously all of us would say get to a Dr & im sure thats what your doing however onset of blood in urine & lower isolated back pain to me says possibly a kidney stone.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Unlikely related to kava or alcohol, but get that checked out. It may not even be blood but something else. Both kava and alcohol are metabolized by the liver, the only way it could strain your kidneys is by dehydrating you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.