What's new

Kava Preparation Boiling Kava.

infraredz

BULA!
Hi,

Don't know if you have a typo or not, but the abstract states "subcritical" not supercritical.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheated_water:
Superheated water is liquid water under pressure at temperatures between the usual boiling point, 100 °C (212 °F) and the critical temperature, 374 °C (705 °F). It is also known as "subcritical water" or "pressurized hot water."

[EDIT]

It still would be cool trying a pressure cooker, don't you think?
Wow, I totally didn't read that correctly. :rolleyes:

You're right, that would definitely be doable with a pressure cooker.

Must have been all the supercritical CO2 extraction ideas I've been throwing around lately.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Wow, I totally didn't read that correctly. :rolleyes:

You're right, that would definitely be doable with a pressure cooker........
Cool... I wished I owned a pressure cooker, I would try it today!! If anyone else out there does try this, please let me know the results. If it's good, I'll go out and buy a pressure cooker to do this. Maybe even try adding some cabbage and potatoes to it too!! :eek:

Regards

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
It is strange how a few rumors can make a lot of people think that the rumors are true, when they said that kavalactones are destroyed by the heat and you should not heat the kava, that is just simply not true, there is so much proof that shows that kavalactones can take a lot of heat.
That pressure cooking the kava is like super critical fluid extraction so I am sure the product would be like say the CO2 extract, nice yellow and sticky, I have made some using my friends CO2 extractor, I still like the traditional way of taking kava, drinking the strained kava, the way they have done for a hundreds and hundreds of years, sometimes I will boil sometimes I will use instant, sometime micronized but I have not used any form of kava extract for over 10 years.
Aloha.

Chris

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
It is strange how a few rumors can make a lot of people think that the rumors are true........
Yea, I know what you mean. I heard a rumor that Kava tastes terrible!! Can you believe it? :D

[EDIT]
.....That pressure cooking the kava is like super critical fluid extraction so I am sure the product would be like say the CO2 extract, nice yellow and sticky.....
I found some instructions that "may" work with a pressure cooker to extract Kavalactones.

Instructions: http://www.ehow.com/how_7693451_build-cooker-distiller-essential-oils.html

Last edited: