What's new

Boiling strainers to sanitise

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I have heard from a customer that you can boil certain kinds of nylon strainers without damaging them. Good to know if you're bacteria growth concious. Personally I usually use the same strainer for months with no more than a hot water rinse. Apparently he dropped his in the toilet so it might have needed a bit of extra cleaning. I didn't ask about the hows and whys.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have heard from a customer that you can boil certain kinds of nylon strainers without damaging them. Good to know if you're bacteria growth concious. Personally I usually use the same strainer for months with no more than a hot water rinse. Apparently he dropped his in the toilet so it might have needed a bit of extra cleaning. I didn't ask about the hows and whys.
There was a thread recently that talked about sanitizing nylon strainers. Prior to that thread I had never bothered with anything more than a quick scrub with some dish soap and mildly hot water. However, I gave it a quick try by putting my nylon strainer in a bowl of water and microwaving it for few minutes - it was boiling by the end. The water was yellow and oily so it clearly helped clean up stuck on KLs. I figure it can't hurt to occasionally clean it up. Doesn't seem to do any damage to the strainer. I have also thrown it in the very top rack of my dishwasher on occasion.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
As I use milk in my mix I think it's a bit more important again.
Yes. Actually super important. Here's what happens when milk based product sits and dries over time. The rear seal on this machine was either defective, or the customer completely ommited it during operation causing the mix to flow from the back of the gearbox down into the cabinet of the unit.

You could literally smell this when you turned down the street to the office. That's about 8 solid inches of old, bad, hardened ice cream. Luckily none of that comes in contact with the product in the barrel.

In short, milk can make some nasty surprises if left unchecked.
(Milkshake machine taken from a local drive in chain. One very popular in the south eastern US)
icecream.jpg

icecream2.jpg

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yes. Actually super important. Here's what happens when milk based product sits and dries over time. The rear seal on this machine was either defective, or the customer completely ommited it during operation causing the mix to flow from the back of the gearbox down into the cabinet of the unit.

You could literally smell this when you turned down the street to the office. That's about 8 solid inches of old, bad, hardened ice cream. Luckily none of that comes in contact with the product in the barrel.

(Milkshake machine taken from a local drive in chain. One very popular in the south eastern US)
View attachment 9892

View attachment 9893
Yummy!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
When I worked in a certain well know fast food chain I had to disassemble and reassemble the milkshake machine. That would produce some interesting smells and it was cleaned every day.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
No amount of cleaning would save that strainer for me...

I put my strainer in the dishwasher and secure it nicely. Works good but a little risky

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
No amount of cleaning would save that strainer for me...

I put my strainer in the dishwasher and secure it nicely. Works good but a little risky
Yes, could end up getting shredded quite easily.

bogmonkey

Kava? Yes please!
For my Aluballs, I always immediately rinse them out with hot water after shaking up a batch, nothign more. I will use a very light bleach solution on them and the bottle parts every 3-5 months just to keep anything in check.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
View attachment 9892

View attachment 9893
If it's a drive-in, I'm guessing Sonic.

I remember years ago in Jersey, a milk tanker took a turn too fast over a bridge and rolled over on its side. I thought to myself "Well hell, it's just milk, they could just hose it off into the river and let it wash away." I heard that it was actually considered a hazmat cleanup for some reason.

So I decided just now to read up a little on it, and apparently if a large amount gets into a river it can kill fish due to removing the oxygen from the water as it breaks down.
https://roadscholar.com/blog/the-dangers-of-spilled-milk-during-transport

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
If it's a drive-in, I'm guessing Sonic.

I remember years ago in Jersey, a milk tanker took a turn too fast over a bridge and rolled over on its side. I thought to myself "Well hell, it's just milk, they could just hose it off into the river and let it wash away." I heard that it was actually considered a hazmat cleanup for some reason.

So I decided just now to read up a little on it, and apparently if a large amount gets into a river it can kill fish due to removing the oxygen from the water as it breaks down.
https://roadscholar.com/blog/the-dangers-of-spilled-milk-during-transport
I've carried bulk milk and I've carried highly flammable liquids and I was always told the milk is more of a problem if you spill it for the reason you linked to. Most chemical tankers, whatever the hazard entailed, are pretty solid, you could roll them without spilling a drop. In my experience though milk tankers tend to be a bit more leaky. Given the above you'd almost think it would be the other way round!

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I've carried bulk milk and I've carried highly flammable liquids and I was always told the milk is more of a problem if you spill it for the reason you linked to. Most chemical tankers, whatever the hazard entailed, are pretty solid, you could roll them without spilling a drop. In my experience though milk tankers tend to be a bit more leaky. Given the above you'd almost think it would be the other way round!
I'm going to start a new thread about "Truckin' " as we yanks call it, I think it'll be easier to follow the topic.

Palmetto

Thank God!
I've been near boiling nylon paint strainers for kavas with a drop of dishwashing soap for 3 years now. I usually use the strainer for 2 days before sanitizing. Then I thoroughly rinse out the soap and dry them.