What's new

Bona Fide Tudei?

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
Has anyone ever had bona fide tudei? According to this article it sounds really harsh.

> http://kavasociety.nz/blog/4587940980

Not all kava is alike. If you've read much about kava, you are probably aware of the rising controversy about "two day" kava. Two day kava (also known as "tudei" or "Isa") is Piper methysticum, but of a group of "cultivars" (basically "strains") of the plant that are seldom consumed in the South Pacific. Two day kava often causes nausea, blurred vision, and a hangover quite similar to that caused by alcohol. It is so named because its often ill effects linger for two days or more.
Their is another group of kava cultivars called "noble" or "daily use". It is these cultivars that are routinely consumed by the Islanders and praised for their gentle, pleasant effects. These noble kavas bring about a sense of calm and euphoria while actually sharpening mental awareness, and have no lingering effects.
Unfortunately, many kava retailers are not kava consumers, and they fail to make any distinction between these two classes of kava, noble and two day. The Islanders have known for over 3000 years, but when the Western merchants insisted they wanted two day kava because it grows faster, the Natives just shook their heads in amazement and complied with these supposedly knowledgable buyers.
As a result, much of the kava that is sold in the Western world is two day, which brings us back to the title of this article. You may have tried "kava", but if it was in the form of an extract, tea, or contained a two day cultivar in any form, you haven't experienced true kava; you've only experienced a Western perversion of a fine South Pacific tradition.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I have consumed labeled "Tuday" kava from Hawaiian Kava Center for over a year. I believe it was the absolute worst tested kava by Deleted User. It did a NUMBER on me. When I laid down in the bed I left a pattern of blood on the sheets. It messed me up royally. Had I known what is readily available now I would never have consumed it. It's the only kava I've ever drank that truly hurt.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
I have consumed labeled "Tuday" kava from Hawaiian Kava Center for over a year. I believe it was the absolute worst tested kava by Deleted User. It did a NUMBER on me. When I laid down in the bed I left a pattern of blood on the sheets. It messed me up royally. Had I known what is readily available now I would never have consumed it. It's the only kava I've ever drank that truly hurt.
The hell? Blood on your sheets? Care to elaborate?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I have consumed a heavily tudei-spiked kava from one of the vendors present on this forum (I am not mentioning their name as they promised to clean up their act, at least when it comes to that particular kava - whether they have succeeded, I don't know..). It was vile. It tasted absolutely terrible and made me extremely nauseous. Hit me hard, I felt dizzy, but it wasn't enjoyable. I got some very unpleasant gastrointestinal issues and felt very sedated. When I woke up I felt very tired, lethargic and miserable. I guess it was comparable to having a bad booze-induced hangover. In short, nothing like real kava, which rarely makes me nauseous and which always gives me good sleep and after which I tend wake up refreshed and reinvigorated.

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
They do clearly say "...you'll either love it, or hate it". I'm very tempted...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The hell? Blood on your sheets? Care to elaborate?
I had dermapothy on my back so badly that my skin split and bled all over my back like a tiger pattern. There were blood spots on the sheets where I layed down.

They do clearly say "...you'll either love it, or hate it". I'm very tempted...
My suggestion is don't do it. It can really make you feel absolutely horrible.

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
Here's from HawaiianKava.Com>

Tuday, micronized (tuday, 1#). One pound of 100% kava root powder, tuday (aka “isa”) variety, naturally grown (organic fertilizers, no pesticides/herbicides) in Hawai’i, sun-dried, micronized for a melt in your mouth texture and efficient absorption, $35.00.

(Pronounced “two-day”.) You might either see this kava as a special treat or hate it. The reasons are that 1. tuday has a pungent piney flavor; 2. tuday is predominantly higher in DHK/DHM which is different from the Hawaiian developed kavas that are more predominant in kavain; 3. tuday is very potent; you should monitor its effects and perhaps drink less.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
It is only since recently discovering this forum that I have seen that some people actually seek out tudei which seems just strange.
Tudei is not "drinking" kava. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Nobody in the countries that kava came from - Vanuatu, Samoa ,Tonga, Fiji - deliberately drink tudei.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
It is only since recently discovering this forum that I have seen that some people actually seek out tudei which seems just strange.
Tudei is not "drinking" kava. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Nobody in the countries that kava came from - Vanuatu, Samoa ,Tonga, Fiji - deliberately drink tudei.
I know what you mean, I think it is because of the vendors that sell it, they advertise that it is very strong or potent so a new guy to kava will want to try that first. To me it is bad for the kava scene in general because if you're a new guy and you try tudei first and get a bad experience with it, most of the time they will stop and never come back to kava, that is why I try to educate people and let them know like you did that the Islanders do not drink tudei. They drink Noble kava. Tudei will only hurt the kava scene, it may even be part of the cause of the liver scare that started in the 1990's. To keep the good name of kava and to keep all the negative things away from kava, we need to only drink Noble and take a stand against tudei. It starts with the consumer, if people do not buy the tudei then vendors will not sell it. It is all about money to the ones who sell the tudei kava, it is not about kava no matter what they say. Aloha nui loa.

Chris

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I am considering my bag of 11 Yr Waka as my visit to the other side. I would like to official change the name "tudei" to "kavashine". Who seconds this?

verticity

I'm interested in things
I am considering my bag of 11 Yr Waka as my visit to the other side. I would like to official change the name "tudei" to "kavashine". Who seconds this?
Whether 11-year is actually 2-day is not clear. It is probably not.

cosmic sky

Kava Curious
Thx for the info about avoiding tudei. I have been making sure to avoid strange brands. Some try to make themselves sound better n professional, until you read more about it... then they're just wasted n don't know what they're talking about. Lol. Its best to be aware of what brands ur using though. So far I have only been using it less than a month, gaia herbs capsules and then some nature's answer brand liquid extract. Have had no problems with these. I have longterm health problems n these seem to help. I am definitely afraid to try any weird, imported brands though.

cosmic sky

Kava Curious
to explain further... i was thinking really hard about trying kona kava farms brand. a pg said fda registered n another fda compliant. Reading makairas blog, an owner (there are 2 owners, one of 3 is no longer bc he had legal troubles bc they thought he was selling illegal drugs online from the kava site)... anywayz, she was like, "we're no experts at testing kava", n that they were for harmless fun, talking about the color change test. After all this talk about how thoroughly tested the kava is. Another blog entry, talking about how they have to fight with the fda... after all this talk about how they're fda compliant n everything. Some have said on here not to try. So, just sayin, it may sound good at first, but definitely do your research. U may not be thinking clearly due to salivating over kava.