Change background image

Broken benzo brain needs more kava

Discussion in 'Anxiety & Interactions.' started by the_wilderness, Jul 7, 2018.

1. the_wilderness

the_wilderness Kava Enthusiast

I just saw this posted in an older thread...
    "Your neurotransmitter system, specifically with GABA, is deprived or not working well due to [long term benzo use]. It'll take a bit more kava to get you relaxed than it takes most people."
    IS THIS WHY I NEED SO MUCH? I've been frustrated as to why I need so much kava as a baseline (4tbsp quality micro still mild for me). I'm very sensitive to most things (meds, for instance) but with kava I seem to need a lot more than most...I've had a good ten years of benzos, ssris, and recently lithium (all prescribed and not abused). It makes good sense that my neurotransmitters might be out of whack.
    I'd love to hear people's opinions and theories , but intuitively it makes sense to me! I also wonder if/hope that my brain might recover enough to resensitize me to kava over the coming years...if it's not too far gone...
    Krunkie McKrunkface likes this.
  2. SelfBiasResistor

SelfBiasResistor Persist for Resistance!

Some of us just need more than the average drinker to be satisfied with the session or to get the desired results. When did you stop taking the benzos and what dose were you taking? Either way the GABA recepters will eventually return to normal function over time.
  3. Intrepidus_dux

Intrepidus_dux Kava Enthusiast

This could be the reason for sure. I keep hearing TED talks and podcasts about how the brain can heal and make new neural connections even in adulthood whereas it was previously thought to only happen between the ages of newborn and five years old.

Neurons that fire together wire together. Keep boosting your thoughts in the direction of health and healing and it will come eventually. You might want to look into Lions mane mushrooms or another mushroom supplement to help your neural pathways along. I personally really enjoy cordyceps but that’s more physical stamina and hormone adaptogens. Lionsmane takes over a month to start working but is well worth it for the cognitive boosting my friends tell me.
    the_wilderness likes this.
  4. the_wilderness

Thanks Intrepidus! First thing I pulled out of my medicine stash when I made this connection was the Lion's Mane. (y)
    Intrepidus_dux likes this.
  5. the_wilderness

I continue to take Oxazepam a couple of times a week, very low dose, when I can't sleep; 30mg a pop.
    I stopped the meds in a kinda staggered way, as I was rotating quite a few there for a few years. Several different benzos, all fairly low dose, the oxazepam was the only one I took the upper limit of as it felt best for my body, given the choices. Least side effects. I was always on *something*, for the last ten years. SSRIs for eight years, Lexapro being the longest standing, low dose.
  6. ThePiper

ThePiper Kava Enthusiast

Regardless of the reasons, If you haven't been drinking kava for a long time you might find that you get a better effect from less down the road as your body adjusts.
  7. the_wilderness

3 years daily. I'm finding my while my brain is still very tolerant of kava and needs these big doses, my body is catching up...starting to experience dermo and gut pain. Boooo. Feeling sad that I have this wonderful medicine and my body is not syncing with it well...for now.
  8. Summer

Summer mercy triumphs over judgment

I think I started that thread. I was on Klonopin for 6 years and have been off since 2015. I also have to drink a lot of kava to feel what I call “normal” - which doesn’t have to be krunk (but it’s nice when it is). I, too, hope that someday I can enjoy kava in smaller doses and less frequently. It’s always been medicine for me. Benzos are...well, indescribable.
    the_wilderness likes this.
  9. SelfBiasResistor

SelfBiasResistor Persist for Resistance!

Before kava I heavily drank alcohol for over a decade. I rarely got hangovers or most of the other side effects people usually get from it and it had no noticeable negative effect on my life so I used it a lot. I also used benzos for a couple of years prior to kava so my GABA receptors were definitely used to being influenced by foreign substances. I never experienced RT but I bought strong kava and I dosed it up until I could feel it. Early on I would brew 1 cup of medium grind to 4 cups of water, I couldn't always stomach drinking it all but that was OK because I felt strong effects by a few shells into the session. Kava acts on GABA receptors in a different way than alcohol and benzos and there really isn't a known cross tolerance between them. There could be an argument that people like us would require more but there are people that use higher amounts and didn't have a heavy alcohol or benzo past.
    Redrider likes this.
  10. Go Krunk Yourself

Go Krunk Yourself Kava Enthusiast

The tolerance seems different in my opinion as well.