What's new

Can drinking too much kava cause shallow breathing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Im just curious. I have never experienced this but my buddy claims that this happens to him from time to time. Have you guys ever experienced this?

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Yes it can. I have read a few places of kava effecting some like this. And from what I can tell if you have asthma it can be worse. Not sure why as I have also read that kava was used for asthma in some places. My personal experience is that a certain cultivar will have this effect on me. I have a somewhat seasonal type allergy symptoms (slight shortness of breath, watery eyes, runny nose) from either that cultivar or something in the cultivation/processing that is unique to that cultivar.

That being said the makas can also make me have a simular reaction if I don't filter it well. My prep methods have improved and I have adapted VERY well and this issue doesn't come up too often. But if it does I just take a day or two off and all is well for a few weeks.

I don't seem to have any problems with Kava Candy or extracts and tend to eat them like, well candy!

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Yes I get this often and always have, with any strong mix of kava, fresh or dry.
I think part of it is just that you are so relaxed that you breathe shallow anyway, but occasionally I feel like I need to fill my lungs to ease a slight discomfort, and take a deep breath. I have the same the next morning after a big session also. Its never really bothered me, and I never really gave it much thought until you mentioned it - but, yes, its definitely an effect. It was worse in the old days when I used to have a smoke after every shell.

Still, we must be breathing enough or we wouldn't have the energy to mix up another bowl. 5pm and time for mine now...

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I've been getting shortness of breath bad after kava. I even went to hospital one night, but I didn't make the connection. Feels like I'm going to pass out. Any tips appreciated. I tried PEA and hordenine, which works temporarily but really sent me over. I was falling around. Maybe ephedrine?

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I as yet have not experienced any shortness of breath or shallow breathing after consuming kava.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I don't recommend ephedrine with kava . It will get stuck so to speak.

Maybe try some matcha or black tea to open the lungs up

Or peppermint essential oil to get that extra breath of fresh air in their .

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Yes, a big dose of some kavas sometimes relaxes my muscles so much that I find myself breathing a little more shallow. It's easy enough to listen to the kava and do a little meditation-style breathing. I've never felt as if I'd fall asleep or stop breathing.

I grow Ephedra just for the pretty flowers, though it's not something I care to use. It has traditional uses for sore throats and colds. I just don't like how it makes me feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.